Don’t worry too much - We’ll be back

HelloCity

A drop off was almost inevitable this season. Going full pelt for all trophies over the course of a year really takes it out of a team. Even just winning the league can lead to a drop off the following year, due to decreased motivation, which can make it feel like suddenly you’re miles off where you were.

It’s why the league has only be retained twice since 2009 - both by Pep’s City. Just look at the performances from our rivals the year after winning the league or even them going full pelt just to come second by a point. There’s a huge drop off across the board. I’ve got to admit, Liverpool looked great at times last season but this season they’re an absolute shambles.

Now imagine going for 3 consecutive league titles. This drop off is why it has only been done by 4 teams in the history of English men’s football. Huddersfield & Arsenal in the 30’s, Liverpool in the 80’s & United in the 90’s and 00’s. Today, the competition is much greater with most of the top teams splashing the cash to chase the top prizes. That means going for 3 in a row is an even more difficult challenge than before.

We’ve seen this before in the 19/20 season where we were absolutely miles behind Liverpool by January. The league was already over for us 3 years ago. There were also massive drop offs 12/13, 14/15 and most notably in 1938! If anything, we’ve actually done brilliantly to get back to back titles in this modern era and keep our name in the hat for a third. Seeing how difficult it is to achieve, I would probably see it as Pep’s greatest achievement, by far, if we were to somehow go on to top the table at the end of the season.

This form has obviously impacted us in the league cup last night as well, although I’m willing to put that down to the mish-mash side as Pep tried to keep us as fresh as possible for the derby. Obviously this back fired but I can see the thinking behind what he was trying to do.

There has also been a World Cup mid season where we had more players competing than any other club in the world. There’s no doubt this will have impacted us physically and mentally.

If we don’t turn our form around, don’t worry too much and don’t panic about what’s going on right now. History clearly shows that this is all following a familiar pattern and that we’ll be back to our best soon enough, and who knows, maybe we’ll finally get that bit of luck in the Champions League. Our worst team of the last 12 years ended up in the semi final in 2016 so I’ve no doubts this team of today could pull off something even better.

Last edited:
A drop off was almost inevitable this season. Going full pelt for all trophies over the course of a year really takes it out of a team. Even just winning the league can lead to a drop off the following year, due to decreased motivation, which can make it feel like suddenly you’re miles off where you were.

It’s why the league has only be retained twice since 2009 - both by Pep’s City. Just look at the performances from our rivals the year after winning the league or even them going full pelt just to come second by a point. There’s a huge drop off across the board. I’ve got to admit, Liverpool looked great at times last season but this season they’re an absolute shambles.

Now imagine going for 3 consecutive league titles. This drop off is why it has only been done by 4 teams in the history of English men’s football. Huddersfield & Arsenal in the 30’s, Liverpool in the 80’s & United in the 90’s and 00’s. Today, the competition is much greater with most of the top teams splashing the cash to chase the top prizes. That means going for 3 in a row is an even more difficult challenge than before.

We’ve seen this before in the 19/20 season where we were absolutely miles behind Liverpool by January. The league was already over for us 3 years ago. There were also massive drop offs 12/13, 14/15 and most notably in 1938! If anything, we’ve actually done brilliantly to get back to back titles in this modern era and keep our name in the hat for a third. Seeing how difficult it is to achieve, I would probably see it as Pep’s greatest achievement, by far, if we were to somehow go on to top the table at the end of the season.

This form has obviously impacted us in the league cup last night as well, although I’m willing to put that down to the mish-mash side as Pep tried to keep us as fresh as possible for the derby. Obviously this back fired but I can see the thinking behind what he was trying to do.

There has also been a World Cup mid season where we had more players competing than any other club in the world. There’s no doubt this will have impacted us physically and mentally.

If we don’t turn our form around, don’t worry too much and don’t panic about what’s going on right now. History clearly shows that this is all following a familiar pattern and that we’ll be back to our best soon enough, and who knows, maybe we’ll finally get that bit of luck in the Champions League. Our worst team of the last 12 years ended up in the semi final in 2016 so I’ve no doubts this team of today could pull off something even better.
Depends on Pep for me, he need to change his tatcics for us to start or recovery from our poor form.

Very good post.

We're clearly not quite at it currently, but let's not forget that these lads have had some thumping wins already this season (one as recently as Sunday when we looked like being something close to our best). We breezed through the CL group with ease, find ourselves still in the FA Cup and are only five points off the top of the league. Arsenal have gone full tilt in the league, City look out of sorts and yet we're only five points behind them. It only takes a slight reversal in form for either team for the picture to change.

Excellent post and summarises the future as difficult as it appears to predict and perhaps futile as best can be.

History is the only guide for the future and every side even ours will drop off at some stage , Wenger had Arsenal in the Chumps League for umpteen years on the spin without ultimate success and a hatful of Premierships.

Remember when Manure and Arsenal were going to raffle the premiership every year and then Chelsea and Liverpool before then we know for certain all things come to an end as will ours but we are the only team to have qualified for Chumps League since 2010 well ahead of any other side.

I'm not sure why we're throwing in the towel. If Arsenal lose to Spurs and we win our next three we'll be top by 4pts before they play the rags at home (having played a game more). Still in the FA Cup. A winnable CL last 16 tie. When you look at our fixtures, a couple of games home and away to Newcastle sandwiched in there would have been far from ideal. It's the 4th choice competition. Did I want to win it? Yes. Does it hurt to be knocked out and play so poorly? Of course. But if it gets us into shape for the upcoming games it's the one I'd have chosen to lose.

The point on mentality is spot on. That's why, in my opinion, we allowed Gabby and Zin to go as well as Raheem. Pep didn't want anyone here who didn't want to be here, particularly when it takes an elite mentality to retain the determination to win following two successive titles. Sadly, there's been a drop off in attitude and form from too many players. Perhaps due to the WC, but it's not changed since. It's time to step up. We'll know at the end of the month how we're looking. It could be we're way off top and in a top 4 battle and out of the FA Cup. But who knows, maybe we'll still win the CL ala Chelsea!

The club is in excellent shape, with a brilliant structure in place. Pep wants the squad ready for the upcoming challenge. He wanted to get minutes in some fringe players and ensure others were rested. It was an experiment in the only game we really could experiment in to be honest.

As I said, we play three times before Arsenal kick off against the rags a week on Sunday. Derby, Spurs and Wolves at home. Win all three and even if Arsenal beat Spurs we're top. Pressure on. Title race on. Players probably fully engaged again.

Depends on Pep for me, he need to change his tatcics for us to start or recovery from our poor form.

You’ve completely misunderstood the entire post. This ALWAYS happens and not just to City. The performances 19/20 were even worse than this season at times and people said the exact same as what you’re saying right now. Pep’s mixing it up because he thinks certain players aren’t performing or aren’t motivated the same. He’s trying to pull a rabbit out of the hat.

People have such short memories and live only in the moment, meaning they’re only able to judge what’s right in front of them without looking at the bigger picture. You sometimes need to look at history to see what might happen in the future.

I used to listen to the radio on the way home from the match and you’d be amazed how many United fans would ring up saying Ferguson was finished whenever they had a bad defeat or didn’t win the league - ‘he’s been brilliant for us but it might be time for him to hang it up now’. They’d slag off his signings, his tactics etc. What would happen? He’d come back with a vengeance just as City and Pep always do.

What’s with the downer ????
Maybe last night was the smack in the mouth you need to really get fired up now for the rest of the season
I will be amazed if you don’t win anything think you will win the league and will win one of the cups but god knows which one ............ Arsenal will go through a sticky patch and United are one bad result from it turning nasty again .............. I actually don’t think this weekends results will have a bearing on the title because I think whatever the City result ........ Arsenal will probably mirror it

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.