Dortmund (H) - CL QF | Post-Match Thread

I have to disagree. I think we made 5 high-quality chances and only scored 2 goals.

1 - Our first goal
2 - 65th minute, KDB cut back to Foden who should have scored (but shot straight at the keeper)
3 - 77th minute, KDB plays Foden in on the counter who probably should have done better
4 - 80th minute, Foden dribbles into box and shoots wide, should have scored
5 - Our second goal

On another day we'd have got 3 or 4 of these.

Where we weren't quite up to our usual standards is the half-chances that we tend to have dozens of each game. The shots from outside the box & chances from set-pieces etc. But I think that was more down to Dortmund playing quite a high backline and deep forwards and really crowding out space in the middle.

My point is, we had enough chances to see the game out, if we'd gone 2-0 up it would have been a very tough task for them to get back into the tie.

I thought we looked more dangerous when Jesus came on, but I'm not sure if that was due to the slight change in tactics, or if Dortmund were knackered from pressing us for the previous 70 minutes.

I also thought Mahrez had a golden opportunity when Bernardo laid it off to him right on the edge of the box. The left half of the goal was so open and for some reason he went for the other corner and hit a defender.

He would put that in the top corner 9 times out of 10 in training.

things always feel different the morning after. ok the result not being what we wanted but that late foden goal gives us something to fight and hang on to and we will create chances over there and i feel we will score

for me the 2.1 is a nightmare score. you are left in a funny place in the 2nd leg and the tie is wide open
city score first its still open dortmund score first its still open even if dortmund score 2 we only need 1 to take the game into to extra time

i fancy city in any game and we have a bench full of goals and pace. even the squad is quality and game changers
so we are in a ok place and its now a big big game and like a final city normally turn up

Fortunate with that reffing decision but can’t say I’m too arsed at one below-par performance in so many games. We should have enough to go through.

That said, a repeat in the SF against world class opposition would see our customary Champions League late-stage fold. So let’s hope we’ve got it out of our system.

Big mentions to Kev and Phil, by the way, for top performances.

I was impressed with Haaland. He didn't do much but he is an absolute presence when it matters.

It's very rare to see a striker occupy Dias and Stones, which gave the excellent Bellingham the space to thrive.

In our team, we would elevate to domination.

As for our showing, thought we looked a yard short, Bernie looked tired and when he was subbed, our midfield legs ran out.

Eddie really needs to buck his ideas up, it's been noticeable for months his kicking and decision making isn't as sharp as usual.

Thought Gundo was immense.

I have to disagree. I think we made 5 high-quality chances and only scored 2 goals.

1 - Our first goal
2 - 65th minute, KDB cut back to Foden who should have scored (but shot straight at the keeper)
3 - 77th minute, KDB plays Foden in on the counter who probably should have done better
4 - 80th minute, Foden dribbles into box and shoots wide, should have scored
5 - Our second goal

On another day we'd have got 3 or 4 of these.

Where we weren't quite up to our usual standards is the half-chances that we tend to have dozens of each game. The shots from outside the box & chances from set-pieces etc. But I think that was more down to Dortmund playing quite a high backline and deep forwards and really crowding out space in the middle.

My point is, we had enough chances to see the game out, if we'd gone 2-0 up it would have been a very tough task for them to get back into the tie.

I thought we looked more dangerous when Jesus came on, but I'm not sure if that was due to the slight change in tactics, or if Dortmund were knackered from pressing us for the previous 70 minutes.
Foden was being so gutted about himself he didn't even celebrate his winner. But he had a superb game.

I would add Kev and Mahrez to the list of missed chances who didn't hit it as cleanly as they are able to. So yes, Dortmund was very lucky that we were nervous in front of goal.

In my book Gundo was unusually nervous and sloppy vs his old club and didn't get into the match, wasn't free flowing, esp. 1st half. His rescue being in the right place for the lay-up to Foden was gold though.

Rodri and Cancelo also nervous with too many easy mistakes. That's our main build-up involved. Consequently, we didn't create the usual amount of chances and had several tricky situations at the back.

I think our mistakes made Dortmund strong, stronger than they really are. Our CL history were in some heads, but the majority did well.

2nd leg will be the same: we have to shake the monkey from our back and fully believe in our strengths. Then we'll have the accuracy that we had in 2 Gladbach matches.

Whilst we didn't play to anywhere near our best, I can live with that. After all, our record in the last 25+ games is astonishing. What bothers me though is the fact that we didn't play anywhere near to our best in ANOTHER CL Quarter Final.

All of a sudden, the 5th best team in Germany are now somehow one of the best in Europe. I'm not having that. They were ok, no more than that. They are a mile away from City, last-years-Liverpool and even United. For some reason, we just didn't get going in the game like we would against any other team in England. No way would Dortmund finish in our top 5 this season.

Too many players who've been superb this season gave some very poor performances. It was comfortably Rodri's worse game since he's been here (I'm a big Rodri fan). Cancelo looked like last seasons Cancelo. Mahrez did little, Silva put in a post-racism performance. Dias had his worse game since arriving. Ederson looked off the pace. These players aren't turkeys and every single one would get in that Dortmund side. Easy.

For me, this isn't just an off day there's more to it. We choke in the CL against teams in the knock out stages. I can understand be worried about Barcelona, Real, Juventus and Bayern but the rest should be petrified of our style of play. Last night we looked very nervous and I don't understand how or why we played with the fear of God in us. Haaland is a good player, but if we're petrified of him then we might as well give up as Lewandovski is a better player.

Pep absolutely has to make sure this doesn't happen again in the CL games. If we'd done this against Real, Bayern Munich etc the tie would be over.

I was impressed with Haaland. He didn't do much but he is an absolute presence when it matters.

It's very rare to see a striker occupy Dias and Stones, which gave the excellent Bellingham the space to thrive.

As for our showing, thought we looked a yard short, Bernie looked tired and when he was subbed, our midfield legs ran out.

Eddie really needs to buck his ideas up, it's been noticeable for months his kicking and decision making isn't as sharp as usual.

‘Noticeable for months is a bit strong!’
He has had another superb season

we are extremely lucky to have his service

but I guess thatsjust ur minority opinion?

what about his save from Harland in the second half?

Ein Sieg ein Sieg bedeutet ein viel besseres Ergebnis sein. Wir werden später Woche zwei Tore brauchen! Ist Sancho zweite Woche wieder für sie da? Wenn er es nicht erledigt machen wird
He will be out for sure.

Absolutely. I've been screaming at the TV for months with some of Eddie's faffing about. Waiting for a howler and hoping it wouldn't cost us in a big game. It nearly did.

Whilst we didn't play to anywhere near our best, I can live with that. After all, our record in the last 25+ games is astonishing. What bothers me though is the fact that we didn't play anywhere near to our best in ANOTHER CL Quarter Final.

All of a sudden, the 5th best team in Germany are now somehow one of the best in Europe. I'm not having that. They were ok, no more than that. They are a mile away from City, last-years-Liverpool and even United. For some reason, we just didn't get going in the game like we would against any other team in England. No way would Dortmund finish in our top 5 this season.

Too many players who've been superb this season gave some very poor performances. It was comfortably Rodri's worse game since he's been here (I'm a big Rodri fan). Cancelo looked like last seasons Cancelo. Mahrez did little, Silva put in a post-racism performance. Dias had his worse game since arriving. Ederson looked off the pace. These players aren't turkeys and every single one would get in that Dortmund side. Easy.

For me, this isn't just an off day there's more to it. We choke in the CL against teams in the knock out stages. I can understand be worried about Barcelona, Real, Juventus and Bayern but the rest should be petrified of our style of play. Last night we looked very nervous and I don't understand how or why we played with the fear of God in us. Haaland is a good player, but if we're petrified of him then we might as well give up as Lewandovski is a better player.

Pep absolutely has to make sure this doesn't happen again in the CL games. If we'd done this against Real, Bayern Munich etc the tie would be over.

Do agree but not sure if it’s something Pep can ‘fix’ as it were, he might be adding to the mindset somewhat as it’s been quite a long time since he won it and he wants it’s so bad.

The change from our usual domestic best to the Champions League knock out stages is staggering, reminds me a little of England in major tournaments. Feels a bit in the DNA to panic / get nervous - that’s everyone from manager, players, staff, fans.

That’s not to say, we played well for vast majority and must be happy with the result and be strong knowing we can be so much better.

Once it ‘clicks’ we’ll be unbelievable and in my opinion could win it in successive years, but I suspect that won’t happen until we win it by playing like we have in recent years and somehow getting through it with these types of performances.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.