Double-dip!

I know what QE is. It's a way of giving money to banks so they can invest it in commodities, bonds and equities.

None of it ever gets to SME's or members of the public.

It's a con to keep asset prices higher.

mancityvstoke said:
I still think that they are shafting savers.

Thanks for the input though.
They are shafting savers mate because that is less painful to the country as a whole than shafting home owners.

SWP's back said:
mancityvstoke said:

They are shafting savers mate because that is less painful to the country as a whole than shafting home owners.

I know that. It's just my opinion from a savers (with no nous) point of view.

twinkletoes said:
I know what QE is. It's a way of giving money to banks so they can invest it in commodities, bonds and equities.

Why would the BoE want commodity prices more expensive? Or bonds? (surely it is to keep bond yields down rather than up and as such the par value down)

Or equities tbh?

I'd agree that not as much is lent as we want but as metalblue has stated many times, their are various reasons for that, including the fact they now have to keep sufficient cash in reserve as they seperate retail and investment banking. But to say it's a con to keep asset (you'' have to define what asset as there are many different types) prices high and make the 1% richer is a bigger conspiracy theory than anything buzzer comes out with. Though it's a handy vox pop and no doubt has many clued up people reading nodding sagely in agreement.<br /><br />-- Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:56 pm --<br /><br />
mancityvstoke said:
SWP's back said:
mancityvstoke said:

Not everyone has an appetite for market risk so you're not alone. But if I were you I'd look at <a class="postlink" href="http://www.nsandi.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nsandi.com/</a> They are classed as "risk free", are fairly liquid and will be a good home for a portion of your savings. Some are inflation linked to keep your savings from decreasing in real value against inflation so your buying power doesn't decrease over time.

Certainly another option as you wait for half a decade for rates to return to anywhere near historical averages.

SWP's back said:
twinkletoes said:

Why would the BoE want commodity prices more expensive? Or bonds? (surely it is to keep bond yields down rather than up and as such the par value down)

Or equities tbh?

I'd agree that not as much is lent as we want but as metalblue has stated many times, their are various reasons for that, including the fact they now have to keep sufficient cash in reserve as they seperate retail and investment banking. But to say it's a con to keep asset (you'' have to define what asset as there are many different types) prices high and make the 1% richer is a bigger conspiracy theory than anything buzzer comes out with. Though it's a handy vox pop and no doubt has many clued up people reading nodding sagely in agreement.

-- Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:56 pm --

mancityvstoke said:
SWP's back said:

Not everyone has an appetite for market risk so you're not alone. But if I were you I'd look at <a class="postlink" href="http://www.nsandi.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nsandi.com/</a> They are classed as "risk free", are fairly liquid and will be a good home for a portion of your savings. Some are inflation linked to keep your savings from decreasing in real value against inflation so your buying power doesn't decrease over time.

Certainly another option as you wait for half a decade for rates to return to anywhere near historical averages.

I've got other assets too so even though I'm moaning about Interest rates some of my savings were in 3, 4 or 5 year term accounts and some are still earning over 6% still but that is short term now: I've some foreign investments and pensions from here and abroad (USA), shares in UK PLC's and utilities, house (no mortgage etc) Some ISA's too.

I'm doing ok it's just that the Interest I get pays for my MCFC addiction but this will soon buy a lot less. I'll still manage though and am not starving.

I'm just a moaning old **** basically. Thanks though.

SWP's back said:
twinkletoes said:
All Euroepan indices are in the red after Draghi's press conference.
Means nothing mate.

For example, the FTSE was up 1.31% yesterday and it's down 0.59% today so it's a net gain on the two days.

If there were panicky, you would expect to see a far bigger sell off (2-3% atleast).

Was predictable mate...eur rallying hard against dollar before and at start of speech...said it was a sell, seemed to be looking for stops above 1.24, expected a test of that then dropped like a stone even though I was bearish it caught me by surprise enough for me to ask "what the fuck happened there?".

Too wishy-washy the language but market seems hungry for good news.

metalblue said:
Too wishy-washy the language but market seems hungry for good news.
Isn't it always fella.

@mancityvstoke - no worries you moaning old git ;-)

Even better news the YTS Chancellor is staying in his job http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19092454

Bwaaaaaahhhaa ahh aaaaaaah aaaa haaaaa!!!!

The posh twit Cameron can't even say the abosolute abonimation of the economy his best chum has made. Oh the arrogance of the two posh boys, they seriously haven't got a clue what they are doing. You just couldn't make this sh*t up.

By my reckoning we'll be still stuck in recession well into next year. In something that was created in downing street you have to wonder are these pair of tories toffs that thick or is there some alterior motive because they know that this is a one term parliament for them?

Yes they are posh. Let's keep using it in the pejorative as we are idiotic inverted snobs.

Attack the policies rather than the upbringing. You'd go spare if I kept referring to you as a council estate oik.

Ps- "by your reckoning" eh? Well I'm sure you know best.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.