Double Pivot

Not a huge fan of playing a double pivot in general. Seems a bit outdated. Might work against some teams like Wolves who counter so well but for most teams who just sit back against us then it's a waste of an extra body higher up. Even for sides who like to play their way out of defence, it means we don't press as well in their third.

Still think we’d need a more dynamic option in there to use the double pivot with any regularity. Rodri, Fernandinho and Gundogan are too one-paced. Unless we plan to use KDB or Bernardo in that deeper role, or unless we plan to sign Aouar, I’d sooner leave it for the odd game as a tactical surprise, rather than it be a regular thing.

Okay, guess I should bust the bubble. There are 2 interconnected myths getting voiced here.

1. That the double pivot worked.
2. That Dihno was the reason it worked and it wouldn't with Gundogan.

Let me start with the first. The double pivot did not work. Yes we won the match. But this doesn mean the system worked.

Offensively, it was a drag. We created fewer chances. Defensively, we looked the same. Got little pressure (like was often the case last year) but can when the pressure came, we broke. Like we often did last year.

The only difference is Wolves didn't score 3 of their 4 clear chances. Something that would have happened last year. So in terms of reducing opportunities for the opposition it didn't do that. So it really didn't work.

2. The Fallacy that when Gundogan plays with Rodri, they do so as a double pivot. This was almost never the case ( I think it happened in one game I can remember). For the most part when Gundogan and Rodri played together, Gundogan was simply playing the 8. Which he isn't particularly good at.

That said, Gundogan ina real pivot would have looked probably very close this game, barring a few bad forward passes by Dihno. Like Dihno had in the game, Gundog would have had very few tackles, a couple of interceptions (possibly more), and a ton more passes ( more sideways and back).

But the results would have been similar, owning control of the game, but creating less than normal. And if Wolves failed to take 3 of their 4 chances. We'd have won just like we did.

As a side note. The real heroes of our first half dominance were Foden and Gabby. It was the pressure those 2 put on Wolves ( with less intense but still good support from Kev and Sterling) that protected our back 4.

It had little to do with the double pivot. Rodri and Dihno were decent enough passing around. But they weren't the key factors. It became painfully obvious in the 2nd when the front pressure waned. Neither Dihno bor Rodri could protect without the frontline press engaged.

So, in conclusion, double pivot or not isn't that important of an issue. High press or not is.

Whether we play double pivot or not, the 2nd Midfelder has to be better than either Dihno or Rodri going forward.

I thought it worked fantastically well in the first half, Rodri looked a much better player with someone directly alongside him, he wasn't constantly up against more men than he could handle when we were caught on the break. We looked much more assured at the back (again I am only talking first half) and when Wolves did break we were able to snuff out any counter as we had Fernandinho and Rodri sitting there mopping everything up.

So, when you solve one problem you inevitably create another elsewhere and people are disgruntled that we lacked a higher press and more attacking threat. I think with those two sitting it should enable us to have more than enough attacking threat, the full backs can push on and KDB, Foden, Sterling, Jesus will cause enough problems for anyone.

We sacrificed some attacking threat in order to look a lot more solid at the back. I think that was a change worth making against a Wolves side that had caused us no end of problems recently. First half worked perfectly, but still needs work. Will be used in further games during the season I;m sure, maybe even against Leicester.

It worked well for a tricky away game.
I don't think we will see it on Sunday at home.

If u look how Bayern play , double piot is the way to go. Even Barcelona is starting to play double 4-3-2-1

It gives u protection against Counter Attacks.

What does it even mean? How is it any different to midfielder?

From what I understand we just need a tough-tackling midfielder who can win the ball and pass it to someone more creative, is that right? So like a younger Fernandinho.

I don't think we have anyone who can do it as well as Fern used to. Need to change how we play or sign someone that can fill the position. Rodri is too slow getting to the ball. Good passer though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.