Douglas Luiz - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
The biggest problem for me is he came off as way too casual. Gives the ball away cheaply a few times, didn't track a runner a few times, doesn't always bust a gut to get back to defend. He looks like he's got technical talent and he's a decent size, but I'm not sure his head is there right now.

He's not going to take Zinchenko's foreign player spot IMO.

Yeah maybe.
But if we're honest we still haven't found Zinchenko's best position:
LB or DM show he his missing defensive qualities.
On the other hand, can Zin compete in OM? Can he show more creative power than Bernardo, Foden or Diaz?

Zin is a nice lad and a skilled player. And for now he certainly is a good squad and team player.

But Luiz has shown me all defensive qualities man vs man we are missing when Fern is out.

We still haven't replaced Yaya's spot in midfield to cover Fern. Pep had a look for Zin and Luiz on both LB and DM vs Bayern.
Highly rated young Gomes is there as well...

Don't know if City was ready to offer Zin to Napoli or Palace. But end of the day, Zin can't compete on a certain position.

Pep has his say soon. CL squad has to be announced 3rd September 11 pm.

We still haven't replaced Yaya's spot in midfield to cover Fern.

Yaya didn't really cover Fern last season. When he was out Pep went with another option if he could.

We did replace Yaya with Mahrez though and that will give us must better options at DM than we had last year with Yaya. We can actually allow Bernardo to move central now (rather than being our ONLY sub for our wingers) which allows Gundogan to move back to DM as needed (which is the position I think we bought him for).

I think we should keep him at least until Jan.

He is the best player to play def midfield in pre season imo. All have made mistakes but he has done more stuff right, than the others & is physically superior.

Rewatched the Bayern game again. I thought he had some very similar attributes to Fernandinho. He pressed very quickly, looked to nick the ball before their midfield got turned.
Thought he was very good. Agree with a few others, a bit relaxed in possession and was guilty of the occasional bit of sloppiness. But who isn't in preseason.

Think he deserves 6 months with us and the actual first team to prove his worth. If we do get an established defensive central midfielder then maybe squad spots will change the situation.

Yaya didn't really cover Fern last season. When he was out Pep went with another option if he could.

We did replace Yaya with Mahrez though and that will give us must better options at DM than we had last year with Yaya. We can actually allow Bernardo to move central now (rather than being our ONLY sub for our wingers) which allows Gundogan to move back to DM as needed (which is the position I think we bought him for).

Oh I surely agree for most parts.
The Yaya midfield thing depends where you see Gundogan.
I still think he still can offer a bit more in OM and - after his ACL - is not perfect for defensive duties as DM.
That means he covers our left OM (David) which he did last season.
And then your domino game Mahrez ->Bernardo-> Gundogan doesn't work and the DM position is only covered by Fern
and several workaorunds from LB or else.

You would be right though to say he also covered Fern as DM and pretty well, and I'd agree. A matter of perspective.

The trend in football is very defensive but we are a rare exception, and we are happy about that.
But conceding first against deep sitting teams is extremely complicated and dangerous.
That's why I think we need to have defensive qualities and great workrate in DM and not only accurate passing stats.

Anyway, Luiz has caught my eye. I liked his presence in midfield, the way he was killing the opponent's game.
But I have only seen that Bayern match and don't know about his character and all that, what Pep is able to see in daily training.

I will just say that doesn't seem to be what we are shopping for considering we were in for Jorgihno.

Yeah maybe that's why we didn't go all in at all costs.
Not easy to find the perfect balance between defensive quality and accurate/quick build-up play.

The age gap between Fern and the likes of Luiz/Gomes is too big and I don't think Gundogan will replace Fern 1:1.

So 2 more windows and Txiki will get in a medium aged ready made DM I guess. No idea who that will be.

Rewatched the Bayern game again. I thought he had some very similar attributes to Fernandinho. He pressed very quickly, looked to nick the ball before their midfield got turned.
Thought he was very good. Agree with a few others, a bit relaxed in possession and was guilty of the occasional bit of sloppiness. But who isn't in preseason.

Think he deserves 6 months with us and the actual first team to prove his worth. If we do get an established defensive central midfielder then maybe squad spots will change the situation.

Yes, imo he is the closest of the bunch to Fern & also Pep tried him at cb which is interesting.

Is Luiz defensive midfield? Not seen any of the pre season games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.