Douglas Luiz

Gundogan deserves more credit.
Does he, though? I can't say I've seen him look particularly arsed or motivated for a long time now. Just my opinion, of course, but I wouldn't shed a tear if he was to leave this window.

Edit: For the record, I'm not saying Luiz is the right man either. I'd love Saúl or Aouar, though.

Whenever I watched him I thought not only he wasn't enough for us but that he wasn't good enough for Villa.

Some people have said he improved in the last games of the season but that is such a big risk. Huddersfield also looked good defensively 2 years ago, 3 months later they performed so bad the Derby County record was under threat.
He was Villas best player post lock down, that is not even a discussion. Took him a while to get up to speed with the prem, then he was very good. Can see this, for a few examples showing his strength, speed, quickness into tackles and into covering spaces.

Includes winning the ball from Saint-Maxmin and Traore who are not exactly slow!

We can't always be about buying players at the top of their game...
we also have to be about buying players with potential, and bringing them on.

We've bought plenty of players who we thought were good enough and they turned out to be dross.

It’s hard to compare Douglas to Bennacer or Aouar (who I consider more a creative rather than defensive midfielder). I just hope the clubs scouting is spot on this time, looking at statistics etc.

Does he, though? I can't say I've seen him look particularly arsed or motivated for a long time now. Just my opinion, of course, but I wouldn't shed a tear if he was to leave this window.

Edit: For the record, I'm not saying Luiz is the right man either. I'd love Saúl or Aouar, though.

Saul was the guy to go for last season. There were strong links to him and then it just died down suddently.

Maybe but we've seen him struggle in the PL for longer (and during a time the integrity of the league wasn't in question - ignoring VAR) than he has done well. Some of that may be down to youth, new country etc. but it's unknown at this point.

Zucullini looked decent in pre season too. I don't put much stock in that.

Luiz has talent and looks like he could become an allrounder type DM like Dinho was but it's far from certain and likely wouldn't happen for a few years yet at the needed consistency and with the buy back only going up a few mill next summer and this summer being so important - we must as least win back the PL - I'd be going for guaranteed quality, esp. in midfield.

Another year developing at Villa rather than being in and out of the team here (and probably sometimes not even on the bench) would probably be better for him in the long run.

He looked considerably better than Zucullini ever did, or will, and another year at Villa is not real development.

I’d love to have him back but fear that shifting Fernandinho and Zinchenko could prove difficult. I doubt that we’ll buy what you suggest and instead will muddle through yet again with a patchwork of players asked to play in uncomfortable positions. An early injury to Rodri and we‘ll be right up the creek, so for me there’s nothing to Luiz...

Do the work permit issues that affected him playing for us before not still apply if we wanted to exercise the buy back ? Not guaranteed a starting place at City and not enough caps for Brazil would both hinder any application issues or does the permit he gained before signing for Villa mean previous restrictions don't apply ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.