Drinks you only drank in your teens

I've never been keen on beers, except for a dark mild which I think was Chesters. We used to travel to a pub across from Werneth Fire Station to get some. So as a lager drinker in the late 70's and 80's we sometimes ended up in Lees pubs and I had to suffer Rheingold lager which was the worst I've ever tasted in my life. It was absolutely rank.

You young 'uns only know the decent stuff on offer now, but me and others like me suffered for your benefit to get the shit stuff binned. No thanks required, just a pint when passing, ta!
Believe Chesters mild was known as "fighting mild"? Maybe an urban myth but there used to be rumours that the "slops" of everything else used to find their way into the barrel, can any publicans confirm if this was ever true?

Anyone remember rolling rock? Think it was a US beer and not great.
I remember Brannigans in the basement of Royal Exchange having a happy hour on a friday in the early 90s where selected beer(s) were 50p a pint. Got absolutely leathered on Theakstons Old Peculiar in there once, havent touched the stuff since.

Southern Comfort
+1
as teens i don't know why we gravitated to this crap. we'd hole up at a buddies close to downtown and drink it straight up chased with our favorite beers(Carling Pil, at the time)
listening to Yes, Genesis, Zep, ELP, Tull and other prog, then walk down to the clubs for top 40.
funny what you recall now, sure as hell didn't the next day, and ooooooh the hangovers, 'kin hell!

Red Stripe Lager (don't see it much these days)

Carlsberg Export (rocket fuel)

Lambrini (this was about a pound for a litre)

Three Hammers (remember them huge bottles)

and the notorious "berry jack" wine.
"the Calona Jack Wines (20% fortified wine)"
"The fortified wines included the highly successful and notorious Double Jack, Berry Jack, and Cherry Jack wines which were introduced in February 1968 to replicate fruit wines of the Gallo Brothers. The cheap Jacks were fortified with spirits made in Calona's own distillery and packed a whallop — as most teenagers around British Columbia inevitably discovered."
bin there, done that, bought the hangover.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.