Drones

Sorry to take the thread off topic. I am considering buying a small foldable item that is easily carried, not sure if they are any good as I don't know anyone who has got one. Any feedback to the OP's post would be interesting.

Sorry to take the thread off topic. I am considering buying a small foldable item that is easily carried, not sure if they are any good as I don't know anyone who has got one. Any feedback to the OP's post would be interesting.

I'm picking up a small folding table that seats four in order to seat a few extra guests at X-mas time.
Probably pick one up from Canadian tire in a couple of weeks for a decent price.

Had a couple of cheap entry level Syma X5c drones at first in 2015, 50m radius just to learn the basics. They are fun for a beginner and have a cheap fixed camera/video, and are ok for a kids Xmas present to fly. These maybe about £30 nowadays, I'm not sure, but newer makes and models have superceded this model for around the same money.

In 2016 I bought an XK detect X380-C which was(at the time) a decent drone for the money around £300 iirc. It was pretty good for the cash. 1080pHD camera came with a brushless gimbal. A gimbal is a self leveling motor basically that keeps the camera level in flight. Also has dampers to reduce jello(camera wobble). This drone had an auto take off button and return to home button, especially useful when out of sight/range. Drone needed to be calibrated before each flight to aquire full GPS satellite signal. I think it had around a 1km range and it flew ok in moderate wind.
A decent drone will be at least £100 plus, have at least 12 minutes flying time with brushless motors, GPS altitude control and RTH((return to home) feature.

It's all about how much you want to spend really and I'm far from an expert on drones, although I watched a few hours of YouTube vlogs, DJ Soul force and Quadcopter 101 were the ones who I watched as well as a guy called flying Ryan. All can give more expert knowledge than I can on models, price and tech specs.
Don't throw money away in high spec drones until you have at least acquired a decent flying level as you will most probably crash it!

I bought my XK detect to do aerial video of me playing a river Ebro catfish but to cut a long story short i think I shorted one of the motors out with water spray from the boat I was fishing on as It took off and soon went haywire to then crash into the river to quickly sink. I fitted a decent SJ cam(Gopro rival) and that loss set me back about £500. That was that and I gave it up as a hobby having had a couple of accidents and crashes previously. Drone flying doesn't come cheap and it isn't hard to crash a drone no matter how fail safe the manufacturer claims.

Here is a link by the CAA. It is useful information on drones.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/drones-are-you-flying-yours-safely-and-legally

Finally this is some raw unedited footage I took in 2016 and it gives you an idea of their flying and camera/video capabilities.

Last edited:
Had a couple of cheap entry level Syma X5c drones at first in 2015, 50m radius just to learn the basics. They are fun for a beginner and have a cheap fixed camera/video, and are ok for a kids Xmas present to fly. These maybe about £30 nowadays, I'm not sure, but newer makes and models have superceded this model for around the same money.

In 2016 I bought an XK detect X380-C which was(at the time) a decent drone for the money around £300 iirc. It was pretty good for the cash. 1080pHD camera came with a brushless gimbal. A gimbal is a self leveling motor basically that keeps the camera level in flight. Also has dampers to reduce jello(camera wobble). This drone had an auto take off button and return to home button, especially useful when out of sight/range. Drone needed to be calibrated before each flight to aquire full GPS satellite signal. I think it had around a 1km range and it flew ok in moderate wind.
A decent drone will be at least £100 plus, have at least 12 minutes flying time with brushless motors, GPS altitude control and RTH((return to home) feature.

It's all about how much you want to spend really and I'm far from an expert on drones, although I watched a few hours of YouTube vlogs, DJ Soul force and Quadcopter 101 were the ones who I watched as well as a guy called flying Ryan. All can give more expert knowledge than I can on models, price and tech specs.
Don't throw money away in high spec drones until you have at least acquired a decent flying level as you will most probably crash it!

I bought my XK detect to do aerial video of me playing a river Ebro catfish but to cut a long story short i think I shorted one of the motors out with water spray from the boat I was fishing on as It took off and soon went haywire to then crash into the river to quickly sink. I fitted a decent SJ cam(Gopro rival) and that loss set me back about £500. That was that and I gave it up as a hobby having had a couple of accidents and crashes previously. Drone flying doesn't come cheap and it isn't hard to crash a drone no matter how fail safe the manufacturer claims.

Here is a link by the CAA. It is useful information on drones.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/drones-are-you-flying-yours-safely-and-legally

Finally this is some raw unedited footage I took in 2016 and it gives you an idea of their flying and camera/video capabilities.

Nice video mate.

Here's one that some friends of ours did up at Georgian Bay, a couple of hours north of Toronto (music by the Tragically Hip).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.