Dublin Trip

Guiness tour is essential, even if it's just for the bar at the end which has great views. I actually enjoyed the museum tour, very modern and insightful.

Kilmainham jail tour is very interesting if you like that kind of thing.
Hop on/off bus tour would tick off most of the main sights. You'll never be far from a pub. Some quality buskers on Grafton St and a couple of proper old school boozers just off there.

Here's a heartwarming story for ya'll. About 12/13 years ago I had a few customers in Dublin, so I used to travel over to see them a few times a year. One time, I was on a flying visit so no stay over on the Guinness. I'd seen my first customer, but it was a couple of hours to my next, so I thought I'd spend an hour or so in the bookies(right facing the river) it was good, they gave free soft drinks and brews. I got a brew and made my way to back of the shop and starting writing my bet out. After a few seconds I went to grab my red hot tea but unfortunately, I ended up pushing it over the ledge and down the back of a unsuspecting gentleman sat underneath the ledge. The blood curdling scream will stay with me forever, the guy was in agony. My guilt quickly vanished when I realised he was wearing a snide Rag top. A few lads in the shop actually shook my hand and said he was a horrible **** and I was a brilliant shot. Oh, unfortunately my horse lost :(

Don’t go.
It’s a Kip.

If you have to though, in general you’ll drink and eat cheaper on the north side of the Liffey (because it’s a Kip). Duggans or Ryan’s on Parkgate Street are decent and only a couple of stops on the LUAS. Not far from Guinness’s.

The River Sports Bar will show all football matches. It’s right down on O’Connell Bridge. You can’t miss it. After you can go round the corner to Mulligan’s in Poolbeg Street. A great old boozer. Before standardisation of the taps systems it was known as the best pint in Dublin. Slightly out of the buzz of Temple Bar but not to far to walk back up to Dame Street/Grafton/George’s Street area, where there’s always a buzz.

Enjoy your visit.
If you're over on the Friday, local team Bohemians playing Derry City at 7:45pm, still some tickets abailable, but likely to sell out. https://bohemianfc.com/?page_id=10770, €15 each.
3rd v 4th, and both in with a chance of title run.
Derry have a ex City prospect Sadou Diallo in the lineup, he played in UEFA youth league, was team mates with Foden, Garcia, Diaz, Frimpong, Doyle, Nmecha, Matondo, Poveda, but he never he made it, unless you think Derry City qualifies! A decent crop of players that.
Also the game is at the legendry but crumbling Dalymount Park, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalymount_Park
England qualifed for the 1958 World Cup with a last minute equaliser in Dalymout by John Atyeo, many famous games there, and a legendary Bob Marley concert. It'll be knocked soon..
Phibsboro is a very short hop (3 stops) out on the Luas (Light Rail), goods pubs in the area (the "back page" for pizza and pints)

Watch yourself round Temple Bar. A few English tourists were assaulted a few weeks ago i heard on the news. Not sure if it was because they were English lol
Its supposedly got very rough in Dublin with homeless and druggies about, same with every major city I suppose, getting worse since covid

Don’t go.
It’s a Kip.

If you have to though, in general you’ll drink and eat cheaper on the north side of the Liffey (because it’s a Kip). Duggans or Ryan’s on Parkgate Street are decent and only a couple of stops on the LUAS. Not far from Guinness’s.

The River Sports Bar will show all football matches. It’s right down on O’Connell Bridge. You can’t miss it. After you can go round the corner to Mulligan’s in Poolbeg Street. A great old boozer. Before standardisation of the taps systems it was known as the best pint in Dublin. Slightly out of the buzz of Temple Bar but not to far to walk back up to Dame Street/Grafton/George’s Street area, where there’s always a buzz.
Agreed. There's a lot of dilapidation in the city centre. The drive in from Heuston along the quays is depressing. The very odd time I'm up there, I'm glad to be on the way home again.

And before I get any outraged Dublin members on here, I fully understand that there are quite a few very des "des res's" in that neck of the woods. Howth, Killiney, Kinsealy, that road in Ballsbridge (Ailesbury Rd, is it?) and large swathes of south County Dublin. I couldn't afford to breathe the air out there. It's the very centre of the city I was referring to (particularly the older part), where the OP is likely to be spending his time.

Last edited:
Don’t go.
It’s a Kip.

I was trying to remember the name of the place so I could recommend it. You’ve just said it, Mulligans, undoubtedly the best pint I had over there. Also had a nice shepherds pie and a pint in a place called (I think) Bank or the bank. A fair bit fancier than Mulligans but a nice place.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.