Dunblane 1996

Saddleworth2

The Dunblane school massacre was one of the deadliest mass murders in UK history, when gunman Thomas Hamilton killed sixteen children and one teacher at Dunblane Primary School near Stirling, Scotland on 13 March 1996, before killing himself.

20 years ago today. One of those events where you remember exactly where you were when it happened. Thoughts and prayers go to everyone that was affected by this tragic event. One positive was that the UK's gun laws were tightened because of this awful tragedy. God knows how many lives that has saved in the last 20 years.

One positive was that the UK's gun laws were tightened because of this awful tragedy.
We have a lot to thank successive governments for in that regard. Despite publicity to the contrary, this is still a very safe place to live, and as we've seen in the States, once the genie is out if the bottle, it's very hard, if not impossible, to get back in.

We have a lot to thank successive governments for in that regard. Despite publicity to the contrary, this is still a very safe place to live, and as we've seen in the States, once the genie is out if the bottle, it's very hard, if not impossible, to get back in.
Thank god we still police these laws. I love the States but the lack of moral decency regarding gun control is hard to comprehend.

Thank god we still police these laws. I love the States but the lack of moral decency regarding gun control is hard to comprehend.
I attended a talk on American gun culture a few years back, so I feel I 'comprehend' it to some extent, but I think it reflects very poorly on them as a society. I too like the States, mate, and in the main its people, who I have nearly always found to be positive, friendly and polite; my three favourite qualities in others.

Although I'm instinctively liberal, I would be violently opposed to any relaxation of our gun laws. The mandatory minimum five year sentence for possession of an illegal firearm is something I wholeheartedly support and if needs be I wouldn't have a problem if it was increased. Anyone with an illegal firearm should be sent a strong message, irrespective of their intent.

I attended a talk on American gun culture a few years back, so I feel I 'comprehend' it to some extent, but I think it reflects very poorly on them as a society. I too like the States, mate, and in the main its people, who I have nearly always found to be positive, friendly and polite; my three favourite qualities in others.

Although I'm instinctively liberal, I would be violently opposed to any relaxation of our gun laws. The mandatory minimum five year sentence for possession of an illegal firearm is something I wholeheartedly support and if needs be I wouldn't have a problem if it was increased. Anyone with an illegal firearm should be sent a strong message, irrespective of their intent.
completely agree. It took Thomas Hamilton 3 minutes to end the lives of 16 5 year old children and their teacher. He had an arsenal capable of much greater fatality. We can never relax our gun control legislation.

Quite a few conspiracy theories knocking round about this sickening episode in our recent history not helped by the fact that they've sealed some of the files on it.

I still struggle to comprehend the arguments put forward by the gun lobby in America. You see a mass shooting in a school and then some fuckwit will come out and say "but if the teacher had a gun it wouldn't have happened" The solution to shootings is to give more people guns. That is some fucking logic.

Quite a few conspiracy theories knocking round about this sickening episode in our recent history not helped by the fact that they've sealed some of the files on it.

Buzzer's tin foil hat is tingling.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.