Dunkirk ( the film )

Watched it at imax in town last night. Great film but thought the beach and sea scenes could have used more CGI to give the illusion of the sheer size of the operation. We had lines of troops waiting for ships to arrive numbering about 200 troops. There was 400,000 in and around Dunkirk! The flatilla of boats were in there thousands too and yet we only saw a handful. So too in the sky. We had three spitfires and that was it. Maybe they didn't have the budget to beef up the numbers a bit either through CGI or in extras etc. Still, don't let it put you off. Really good to see a BRITISH war film though. We just need a decent WW1 British film now. A top blockbusting Battle of the Somme please.
I thought Blackadder had put an end to the glorification of mad slaughter.

Watched it at imax in town last night. Great film but thought the beach and sea scenes could have used more CGI to give the illusion of the sheer size of the operation. We had lines of troops waiting for ships to arrive numbering about 200 troops. There was 400,000 in and around Dunkirk! The flatilla of boats were in there thousands too and yet we only saw a handful. So too in the sky. We had three spitfires and that was it. Maybe they didn't have the budget to beef up the numbers a bit either through CGI or in extras etc. Still, don't let it put you off. Really good to see a BRITISH war film though. We just need a decent WW1 British film now. A top blockbusting Battle of the Somme please.

In fairness the RAF element was probably right. There was a C4 documentary last week I think that dealt with this. Many of those rescued were angry at the lack of RAF presence over the beaches but recently released records show that the RAF were fighting hard at high altitudes and mostly inland trying to harass the German approach to Dunkirk so the 3 Spitfires would represent the view the soldier awaiting rescue had on the day.

In fairness the RAF element was probably right. There was a C4 documentary last week I think that dealt with this. Many of those rescued were angry at the lack of RAF presence over the beaches but recently released records show that the RAF were fighting hard at high altitudes and mostly inland trying to harass the German approach to Dunkirk so the 3 Spitfires would represent the view the soldier awaiting rescue had on the day.
Fair point regarding the RAF.

Annoying film really. One five minute sequence of Atonement gave a better idea of what the beach at Dunkirk was like. Branagh wasted on delivering one liners or explanations for the audience of what was going on. And hated the music.

It would be too boring for audiences now. No battles; not enough explosions.

We've always moaned at Americans in film winning the war.

Bad taste last remark since 40000 French soldiers died or were captured holding off the Germans so the BEF and their own troops could get away. And we were retreating you know. "We shall never surrender" is a nice line but the speech obviously envisaged what would happen if we did.

I presume the British soldiers captured also surrendered.
Do you agree with her 'selfish' comment in the context of the subject matter?

I thought Blackadder had put an end to the glorification of mad slaughter.
So no war films then, must assuage left wing guilt trips at all costs. There has been mad slaughter throughout the history
of mankind, we've still got it.

Annoying film really. One five minute sequence of Atonement gave a better idea of what the beach at Dunkirk was like. Branagh wasted on delivering one liners or explanations for the audience of what was going on. And hated the music.

It would be too boring for audiences now. No battles; not enough explosions.

We've always moaned at Americans in film winning the war.

Bad taste last remark since 40000 French soldiers died or were captured holding off the Germans so the BEF and their own troops could get away. And we were retreating you know. "We shall never surrender" is a nice line but the speech obviously envisaged what would happen if we did.

I presume the British soldiers captured also surrendered.

I am aware of what happened and I wasn't being entirely serious. The French sacrificed a lot during the war but we still make jokes about them surrendering. I think it's worst taste that a French journalist would call the film typical British selfishness when A) Nolan did actually put the French in the film unlike Saving Private Ryan with us and B) Our so-called Selfishness allowed them to have their fucking country back in 1945.

I am aware of what happened and I wasn't being entirely serious. The French sacrificed a lot during the war but we still make jokes about them surrendering. I think it's worst taste that a French journalist would call the film typical British selfishness when A) Nolan did actually put the French in the film unlike Saving Private Ryan with us and B) Our so-called Selfishness allowed them to have their fucking country back in 1945.

and in 1918.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.