Dunne

He's a solid defender, deceptively quick, attacks the ball, puts his body where it hurts, and he can tackle.

However, he is prone to the odd stupid mistake, and lacks agility so can be worked around by players if they're good enough.

I don't see the polarisation here, he's not a brilliant player, but he's not shite either, he's somewhere in between.

I think too much emphasis is put on individuals when it comes to defending anyway, it doesn't matter how good an individual is, if the defence isn't organised it's not going to be effective. Toure and Lescott are both good defenders, last season together they were shambles in the first half of the season, because the whole defence wasn't organised, it made them look bad players, when they really aren't.

Obviously the quality of individuals matters as well, because individual mistakes undoes defence, no matter how organised it is, but my point is you can have good defenders playing in a terrible defence and on the other hand you can have decent defenders that make up a brilliant defensive unit (see Birmingham).

Either way, i think Hughes has does Mancini a favour by taking the flack for getting rid of him, i don't think he's good enough for a title challenging team, and especially not the kind of team we're trying to build because he's not good enough on the ball. Mancini needs his defenders to be able to pass the ball.

S.E.H said:
City Raider said:
he's obviously not maldini but anyone that puts the effort in he did year after year, making the most of the talent he had, deserves more respect than that.

it seems like you've been storing this thread since he left and the fact you've had to wait so long for a poor game tells its own story

Not really, I've avoided posting a thread like this for fear of being branded 'not a real blue' but thats already happened when I've brought these points up in the past. Like I said its not Dunne as a person that I've got the problem with, I just never rated him as a player and that frustration has grown over time because of the over excessive rimming he has gotten from Blues over the years.

fair enough, but you can'treally blame dunne - he got as much from his game as he could, far more talented players shared his time at the club and didn't get anywhere near achieving their potential - they're the ones that frustrate me

meeesh said:
Challenger1978 said:
Theres suppossed to be around a million city fans world wide. Whats the total membership number of city fans then for the supporters clubs ?

Be argumentative all you want pal,it means nothing my arse,anyway like i said at the end of my post,he gone now, what the fuck you want to argue about a player that aint here no more is beyond me,but carry on by all means if it makes you feel better

Im not your pal, buddy

Southpark anyone lol

City Raider said:
S.E.H said:
Not really, I've avoided posting a thread like this for fear of being branded 'not a real blue' but thats already happened when I've brought these points up in the past. Like I said its not Dunne as a person that I've got the problem with, I just never rated him as a player and that frustration has grown over time because of the over excessive rimming he has gotten from Blues over the years.

fair enough, but you can'treally blame dunne - he got as much from his game as he could, far more talented players shared his time at the club and didn't get anywhere near achieving their potential - they're the ones that frustrate me
To be fair he could have posted this anytime over the last year, didn't he score an own goal on his debut for Villa and as for the FA cup semi last season against Chelsea, I don't watch a lot of Villa but you don't have to to see a Dunne mistake.

S.E.H said:
No doubt I'm gonna get hammered for this thread but I felt it was needed. In the past I've been crucified for criticising Dunne and on numerous occasions been branded 'not a real fan'. However today was a perfect example of why I never liked Dunne. Not as a person, I met him a couple of times a few years back at Carrington when I was younger, but as a player. His size and power are his two main attributes but he lacks everything else, mainly brain function.

I have always said that Dunne only looks good when a top defender is beside him making up for his mistakes and covering him. Distin did it for years. Distin, much like James Collins today, was one of the most underrated Centre Backs in the league. He was consistently one of our best players alongside Anelka and SWP and when they left he was our rock. He was also a superb captain IMO. I didn't like the way he left, but the way the fans ignored his contribution to the team it didn't really surprise me. All City fans, or the supporter's clubs who have the chance to vote, could see was Dunnie Dunnie Dunnie, he was our best player, he's a City legend. Then Distin left and Pearce and then Sven bugger up Richard's career by making him a left centre back. This puts pressure on Richards; not only is his progress being stalled massively but he's also being played well out of position and he's having to attempt to carry Dunne, sending him backwards as a footballer and he's never been able to progress since. Isn't it funny how Dunne's 'form seemed to dip in his last two years at City'.

Sven and Hughes wanted to keep the fans on their side, so they kept the captaincy on Dunne, the obvious fan favourite, but tbf he couldn't lead a line.

Then he goes to Villa. Hughes and Cook get slaughtered by the fams, Dunne gives his bitchy comments about 'needing the money' and soon finds his new Distin: Collins. Collins is Villa's rock like Distin was ours and he carried Dunne last season along with Warnock.
Today Dunne didn't have a top defender with him and he was at fault for at least 3 or Newcastle's goals, much like he was back in his City days.

So my message for those who worship 'Good Ol' Dunney': Please open your eyes to what sort of a player he is and PLEASE do not brand someone who was a liability for us for 9 years a legend, because quite frankly thats an insult to the true legends of the club and I incude Shaun Goater in that list.

Rant over.

Spot on IMHO

That's Dunne's character assassination complete, anyone want to have a go at the Goat or Colin Bell?

If you can't see that Dunne was a great servant for City it suggests you're just trying to be different and want to provoke a reaction. I'm sure if we looked hard enough we'd find someone who'd tell us that Bert Trautman was shit.

Our support seems to be developing a schizophrenic tendancy to blindly adore players before instantly tuning on them when they don't meet our hightened expectations. It's exactly the same attitude perpatrated by the tabloid press and Sky who are largely to blame for the idiotic way fans treat players and managers these days.

Absolutely agree with the OP - and have been roundly chastised (as the OP) for saying this for years ...

I see Ireland made a big difference today ... NOT

I've meant to ask this for a while now, but does anyone else think that Everton and/or Villa missed a trick by not getting both Dunne and Distin when they were available last summer?

They were as good a defensive partnership as there was in the league, IMHO.

Also, did anyone notice how, in the eyes of the media, Dunne became a great defender last season; something that he was never called while he was with us?

Vienna_70 said:
I've meant to ask this for a while now, but does anyone else think that Everton and/or Villa missed a trick by not getting both Dunne and Distin when they were available last summer?

They were as good a defensive partnership as there was in the league, IMHO.

They got it bob on mate, they signed Distin on his own

I thought he got very lucky last season as although he had a good season he made his usual mistakes but got away with most of them. The one away to wolves springs to mind where he clumsily brought down the wolves player in his own box 10 minutes in and should have been sent off and a penalty given but he got away with it. He still got an own goal at the end of the season mind

Still very glad he's gone as he's never been anywhere near good enough for a top club but we should have got better replacements than Lescott and Toure in. At least Vinnie is showing everyone how it's done at the mo

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.