Early thoughts on City and the Premier League

Got to say after failing to get a striker I’m hugely disappointed and frustrated and think we now face a struggle to retain the league unfortunately. We don’t have a top finisher at the club and in tight games I think it’ll cost us.

Very happy with Grealish signing though.

I know it's ridiculously early to think about how the league is shaping up. In the old days the consensus was that the league didn't take shape until 10 games in but all the same the phoney war of the Summer has passed, the first battles have been fought and this is a talking shop. The transfer window closes today. Is there anything that has struck you about City, or our opponents in the first games or anything about the Summer window that is interesting?

City

Pre-season prep.

Once again City start a season under-cooked. Rather than start a pre-season camp and hit the ground running as Liverpool have done, City seem to have assembled as late as possible. I expected City to under-perform in the Community Shield and against Spurs, and I don't blame Pep for this at all. It appears careless and unprofessional but I believe rest is important, and City are right to start under-cooked. My one concern about City at the moment is the fitness of Foden and KDB. If KDB and Foden are out for any length of time this could be a disaster as I just don't see City scoring enough goals against serious opponents with the false 9.

City transfer window

The transfer window closes and I would say it's been a disappointment. Grealish is a good signing but he does not fundamentally alter City, in fact he slows our game down quite a lot. He takes the ball, and has too many touches before passing it off with the result that the defenders are back in possession. I think like Mahrez it will take time. Grealish has elbowed Sterling out of the side and this is when Foden is injured. Did we need to strengthen our left hand side?

I am disappointed that we did not buy a striker. I don't believe we ever made a serious attempt to sign Kane. He was just too expensive. I don't think we instigated the Ronaldo enquiry either. That was a smart move by his agent. I think having bought Grealish, we should have moved on from the Kane deal and considered a defensive midfielder. For me that is another fundamental weakness in our side. Fernandinho is old whilst Rodri is a very good footballer but lacking in mobility. I am not convinced he can close the midfield down when teams are counter-attacking us. Basically I don't think we have strengthened our two key weaknesses over the Summer: our lack of a striker and our weakness in defensive midfield. However, Dias is amazing. Does he need midfield cover? It's not a disaster.

Torres and Jesus

Torres finished last season strongly and has 2 in 3 games and could have had more, however City looked toothless against Spurs, and have played two sides with terribly weak defences. Jesus performance on the right has been very good. I think he has 3 assists from 2 starts. He has been our best player in the opening games and I think that's particularly impressive as he must have felt under pressure given that Aguero has left and City have been linked with strikers. It's almost as if City were telling the football world that Jesus was not good enough.

Other transfers

Lukaku to Chelsea was the most predictable transfer of the Summer. He really suits their game. They are going to be the side to beat. Possibly they may find it difficult to open the stronger sides up if they are very defensive. For example, I think Lukaku works best attacking the space in behind the back 4. If teams defend deep, they will play on Lukaku's weakness. This maybe Chelsea's weakness.

Sancho? Not a player I know well. He's always flattered to deceive. I can see he's very skilful but his start at Wolves was terrible. Man Utd are a complete disaster as a footballing operation. They needed a defensive midfielder even more than we did and instead they bought a right sided player and a centre forward who threaten to stop the progression of their best young player: Greenwood. Of course, how they do will depend on how prolific Ronaldo is. If he scored at the rate he did in Serie A then they will challenge for the title but they don't create many chances. For example, against Wolves, Wolves created far more chances.

Liverpool surprised me. They have an ageing squad but they have done nothing to renew their side. Their squad must collectively know that this is their final chance to win trophies before it gets broken up. Salah is world class but they seem very reliant on him. I don't think they have enough to challenge for the title.

CL draw.

Really tough for City. How tough depends on whether Mbappe goes to Real Madrid. It's an exciting draw though. Looking forward to playing PSG, and Leipzig who were runners-up in Germany. Utd have the easiest draw they could have hoped for. At least Liverpool have a tough group too.

Predictions

Champions: Chelsea
CL: Wide open unless Real Madrid buy Mbappe.
FA Cup: City
League Cup: City

I think City's season rests on the fitness of de bruyne. City need to have de Bruyne and Foden in the side to make the false 9 effective. I think well organised sides will be able to resist a City side minus KDB and Foden and they will be able to counter-attack us as Spurs did and get some success. I don't see Torres as an effective striker who can step in and take the boots of Aguero yet. Spurs was a test. Norwich and Arsenal were not.

I think City's decisive moment will come after the end of season break and we find out whether KDB needs an ankle operation or whether he can recover gradually.

I think City will need to be almost perfect to beat Chelsea to the title and we already have two chinks in our side: DM and striker. Last season we covered the striker by spreading goals throughout the side but that only works I think if you have special midfielders like KDB and Foden.

I think Grealish will turn out to be a mistake. Not because he is not a special player. I think he is. But he is going to unbalance the side a little as our left hand side featured Foden and Sterling. How do we maximise Grealish, Sterling and Foden? That £100m should have gone towards a striker or a defensive midfielder. On the other hand, if KDB is out for any length of time, then Grealish may be very useful. Grealish in 2-3 years could be a world class player but in terms of this season I don't think he was the signing we needed to make.

Premier League surprise package

None. Spurs wont last. West Ham too reliant on Antonio who always gets injured. Everton might do well if Calvert-Lewin stays fit but surely too much rests on his shoulders. I don't see anyone breaking up the usual suspects
Almost word for word my thoughts. Including your observations on Grealish. Impressive, spot on post.

Got to say after failing to get a striker I’m hugely disappointed and frustrated and think we now face a struggle to retain the league unfortunately. We don’t have a top finisher at the club and in tight games I think it’ll cost us.

Very happy with Grealish signing though.
We’ve got several top finishers at the club.

In fact, most of our rivals would swap some of their attacking options for ours, then we also have the best midfield and from left centre back to right back, we’re so strong.

It’ll be a very tough season to win it this year but we’ve got a real chance.

Excited for it and glad to be allowed back into the stadium.

It's too early to draw too many conclusions for me, but here are my thoughts so far:

- We were still in preseason against Spurs and it showed. Chalk that one off.
- Norwich and Arsenal are just unbelievably shit. Our youth team would've smashed them, and I am being entirely serious when I say that.
- Leicester away will tell us more about where we really are.

Other musings and predictions:
- United are winning nothing while that comedian is in the dug out. Not arsed about them at all.
- Something's still not quite right with Liverpool. Klipperty and the team run on adrenalin, which is fine for a season or so but once you run out you need something more strategic and long term, which they lack. They need to freshen up the team. They might win a cup or something but I just don't see them having the stomach to battle it out for another league title as long as Pep is here.
- Tuchel has transformed Chelsea into a proper football team. They will be dangerous. The good news is, it's Chelsea we're talking about here so he'll be sacked next summer.

Not much to worry about when we have a fully fit squad. Not having an out and out striker will make it harder for the opposition to plan against our attacks.

My only concerns are at left back and also slightly worried about defensive midfield, apart from Fernandinho nobody else gives me any confidence.

Do people who think that we need a left back and a striker think that we should just go out and buy the best available?

We will clearly try to buy a certain calibre of player if they become available, we bought Ake and then Dias became available due to Benfica getting knocked out in CL qualifying.

Once we had Ake, Stones and Laporte we didn’t need Dias. We got him because he became available and improved the starting XI.

We got Grealish because he became available and improved the starting XI. Not because we needed another player in his position.

We’re not going to sign any stop gap players, it’s clear we’d rather play squad players out of their preferred position.

I believe, as I did last season, that if we are still in touch at Christmas we will win the league. No one finishes a season better than City and we have the best squad. Grealish will be crucially important in breaking down packed defences. In recent years we have started to revert to misdirected crosses into the box against ultra defensive teams. Without a big striker that is a stupid tactic.
The left side of our defence will continue to be targeted by fast counter-attacking sides. We can probably counter that by playing five at the back in certain matches. A back three of Stones, Dias, and Laporte, will keep most teams out. Not having Mendy will also help us.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.