Eberechi Eze

Glad you asked :D

I will try to keep it very real, no fantasy football stuff, etc. Basically, I am operating under the assumption we are not going to lose any players (such as Nunes) and if we are, their limited squad role will be allocated to the likes of Perrone, or maybe Lewis can have more minutes. If we lose some key player (Julian, KDB) then I would look at the likes of Xavi Simmons. I don't think we need a KDB replacement per se; that's Phil (and apparently we want Oscar centrally long-term as well). I know I mentioned Wirtz and Musiala, but these would be luxury signings, so fantastic that we should always look to add these sort of players when/if they become available, but we are good nonetheless.

IN; Bruno G (or Neves), Savio - 2 players, ability (Bruno) and youth (Savio)
OUT; Cancelo, Gomez, Phillips (they essentially didn't participate anyway)

IF POSSIBLE (3rd signing if we have a space/means/were to lose Kyle); Frimpong

Starting 11 (we obviously rotate, and a lot of our players are versatile, so this is just an example):

Ederson (Ortega) - Akanji (Walker) Dias (Stones) Ake, Gvardiol - Rodri (Kova), Bruno (Lewis, Nunes), Foden (KDB), Bernardo (Savio, Bobb), Doku (Grealish), Haaland (Alvarez)

That's 6 defenders for 4 spots. If needed, we can use Rico (7th player) there as well. One way ore another, we seem alright at the back, although I wouldn't be against someone like Frimpong because Kyle is getting older, Rico is more of a midfielder IMO, Manu is necessary across the back 4, and Stonesy has fitness issues. With Frimpong in, we would be well covered here. Even without, as long as Kyle is sticking around we should be alright. I would start Manu at RB, though.

In terms of central midfield areas, we would have 7 players competing for 3 spots - Rodri, Bruno, Foden, KDB, Kova, Nunes and Rico. Bernardo (8th) plays in the middle occasionally as well, so we have more than enough here, IMO.

Moving on to the wide players, we Jack, Jeremy, Bernardo, Oscar and Savio. That's 5 players. I am sure we would sometimes see Phil (6th) on the left as well (although we all prefer him in the middle) to accommodate KDB in the starting 11. Even Nunes played on the right for us. Again, lots of options.

Strikers: Erling and Julian. No further explanation needed.

Anyway, that's 23 players (including Scott). I am not counting Perrone or Echeverri as well.

Summer 2025: See what Kevin does, see what Bernardo does. Then we can reevaluate, see who is available etc.
Good post but for me because of injury records and also age ( Walker) we need another defender. Probably a FB, meaning Gvaridol/Ake or Akanji are going to be used predominantly at CB.

John Stones injuries are an issue and Ake has more than his share.

How good he is vs compact defenses?
He has a smooth close range style that suggests he'll be very good in tight spaces.

I didn't think he was on our radar and I never tend to consider him. But I won't be disappointed with him.

Some think he is a class below our level.

He has a smooth close range style that suggests he'll be very good in tight spaces.

I didn't think he was on our radar and I never tend to consider him. But I won't be disappointed with him.

Some think he is a class below our level.
i think the main issue for everyone is that he has relatively small window of being good and i have the same with Savio, who had one good season with others being quite bad in Europe

Also the issue for many is the 'eye test' with him being played in Hodgson system, who is true brexit manager and mostly they are playing defending football. The one positive is that Eze tracks back and defends.

He'd instantly be our best left winger.

But do we need another?
No really paid much attention to Eze but when I have he has not blown me away. Accept that those who have watched him a lot more than me seem to really rate him but not sure thats where we are most desperate for an upgrade given Doku looked like he was an a significant upward trajectory.

No really paid much attention to Eze but when I have he has not blown me away. Accept that those who have watched him a lot more than me seem to really rate him but not sure thats where we are most desperate for an upgrade given Doku looked like he was an a significant upward trajectory.
Eze and Doku are actually two very different players. Eze is a playmaker

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.