Ederson wins the Golden Glove, again!

There are more important stats there than clean sheets that should go towards winning the Golden Glove.

Goalkeepers can do absolutely sod and keep a clean sheet. Clean sheets are more about a manager’s tactics, an entire XIs’ defending and the opposition’s finishing than it is a goalkeeper.

I think this award needs to change. Clean sheets being the only element going to this is like giving a striker the Golden Boot for his team scoring 4+ goals the most times, whether he scores or not.
You’re preaching to the converted, mate. If you do a search of “clean sheets” posts by me on the forum you’ll find a selection of me arguing that they are a very poor measure of both defences and goalkeepers, and our obsession with them is stupid.

I was only referring to the stats that are relevant to the *actual* way the golden glove is currently awarded: keeping clean sheets.

If it were up to me, it would be assessed and awarded differently.

Your preaching to the converted, mate. If you do a search of “clean sheets” posts by me on the forum you’ll find a selection of me arguing that they are a very poor measure of both defences and goalkeepers, and our obsession with them is stupid.

I was only referring to the stats that are relevant to the *actual* way the golden glove is currently awarded: keeping clean sheets.

If it were up to me, it would be assessed and awarded differently.
Indeed.

I think it should be a bit of a league table with W D L F A GD replaced with a series of goalkeeper stats, that can include clean sheets as one of them, but also includes a number of other elements that leads to overall points.

Pope's had an excellent season, and 2bh, given that he should be England's number 1 probably needs something like this to give him the public credibility. Certainly deserves it over Henderson or Pickford.

Indeed.

I think it should be a bit of a league table with W D L F A GD replaced with a series of goalkeeper stats, that can include clean sheets as one of them, but also includes a number of other elements that leads to overall points.
Agreed.

Would like a combination of goals conceded, shots faced, save percentage, aerial battles won, and errors leading to a goal considered.

I would love overall team contribution, including passing success rate, key passes, and tackle success rate, but that may a bridge to far at the moment. ;-)

For now...
Dvg4.gif

Indeed.

Agreed.

Would like a combination of goals conceded, shots faced, save percentage, aerial battles won, and errors leading to a goal considered.

I would love overall team contribution, including passing success rate, key passes, and tackle success rate, but that may a bridge to far at the moment. ;-)

The problem with measuring shots faced and save percentage is it massively overrewards goalkeepers at teams like Burnley who pack 10 men in the box and force people to shoot from distance. Pope and Heaton before him just racked up huge save numbers and percentages from tame shots.

There exists a statistic that ranks goalkeeping very well.

post shot expected goals - actual goals conceded.

i.e - how many goals a keeper should have conceded minus how many they did concede - but it also has big flaws. For example it rewards sitting on your line like De Gea and making a close up reaction save vs. rushing out and stopping a shot from ever happening.

PSxG is here, along with a bunch of other really interesting stats for keepers if you want a few more ideas on how to decide your "best keeper" rankings.

https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/keepersadv/Premier-League-Stats#all_stats_keeper_adv

Last edited:
The problem with measuring shots faced and save percentage is it massively overrewards goalkeepers at teams like Burnley who pack 10 men in the box and force people to shoot from distance. Pope and Heaton before him just racked up huge save numbers and percentages from tame shots.

There exists a statistic that ranks goalkeeping very well.

post shot expected goals - actual goals conceded.

i.e - how many goals a keeper should have conceded vs. how many they did concede - but it also has big flaws. For example it rewards sitting on your line like De Gea and making a close up reaction save vs. rushing out and stopping a shot from ever happening.

PSxG is here, along with a bunch of other really interesting stats for keepers if you want a few more ideas on how to decide your "best keeper" rankings.

https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/keepersadv/Premier-League-Stats#all_stats_keeper_adv
So what I said above, with xG values applied? ;-)

I spend quite a lot of time on fbref, as well, as I am naturally a statto due to my profession and general mindset, and have posted about xMetrics and other assessment methodology on here. There are “issues” with all of them.

I have just found there’s not much interest in it apart from you, @mccity, @Psychedelic Casual, and a few others (so it’s just a small echo chamber), hence why I went with a more simplistic explanation of what I would like. And why I only post about it occasionally.

Again, preaching to the converted. :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.