Edin Dzeko

As the years go by Dzeko seems to get better and better. He was incredibly lazy at times, had an awful first touch and was incredibly frustrating. Comparing him to haaland is crazy
I agree about his first touch not being the best, and he was nowhere near as quick as Haaland. But I think a lot of it with Dzeko was upstairs. He needed to be the main man, the main fulcrum for the team, and unfortunately for him that was never going to happen with Aguero being at the club.

He still had some very good games for us and getting rid of him for Bony was frankly ridiculous when you look back now.

Watching Erling today got me to thinking about Edin. He’ll always be loved by blues and on balance he was a success with us but when we bought him we all thought we were getting a killer finisher top class goal machine,maybe not quite at Erling’s level but not far off, yet things never really panned out like that.

I think that was more our fault than his - I wish we’d played him more often as a buccaneering centre forward rather than on the wing or as a link up man as was regularly the case.
Did we play him on the wing regularly?? Dont remember that at all.

You’re forgetting we also had Kun at the time. Haaland is the main man, Edin never was.

He was class and for me a legend. (We’re all singing Edin Dzeko), but he was always playing catch up to god.
I cheered him as much as anyone, but, legend? He had Tevez and Aguero streets ahead of him.

Blimey, I guess every one of the 2012 squad are legends. Decent, but, half the time, he played like he had lead boots on, and his first touch was often a 5 yard pass - to no-one in particular.

I cheered him as much as anyone, but, legend? He had Tevez and Aguero streets ahead of him.

Blimey, I guess every one of the 2012 squad are legends. Decent, but, half the time, he played like he had lead boots on, and his first touch was often a 5 yard pass - to no-one in particular.

Aguero says dzeko is the best strike partner he ever played with.

Think about that for a minute, think of the others he played with.

Dzeko’s only flaw was he needed to play. He wasn’t a player you brought in and out.

We also had this stupid system of playing him with Clichy at left back rather than kolarov. Baffling to this day how you play him with the full back who couldn’t cross and bench him when the one who could was starting.

We also had this stupid system of playing him with Clichy at left back rather than kolarov. Baffling to this day how you play him with the full back who couldn’t cross and bench him when the one who could was starting.
Probably because playing with 2 up top, you need a more solid defensive unit and Clichy was more solid defensively than Kolaraov.

Good striker but not a great one IMO.

Aguero says dzeko is the best strike partner he ever played with.

Think about that for a minute, think of the others he played with.

Dzeko’s only flaw was he needed to play. He wasn’t a player you brought in and out.

So true. He was a confidence player. Rotation didn’t suit him
Some of the snarkiness is ridiculous. He had his flaws but as Mancini and Platt said at the time, he turned up in pressure situations and scored what they called ‘heavy goals’ - equalisers and winners, and often in big games.
His four at Spurs, including a perfect hat trick, was an obvious highlight and one of my all time favourite awaydays, but his late winner at West Brom when we were unfairly down to 10 men was a personal favourite
Absolutely love the guy and he remains a proper Bert to this day
I’d put him above Tevez in terms of status every day of the week.
93:20 doesn’t happen without his contribution, while Tevez shrank and did fuck all that day apart from to help get Barton sent off

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.