Effigy of Tevez torched as Daily Fail need another story

baldmosher said:
bluemanc said:
baldmosher said:
I think you'll find the MEN would quite like to keep Cavendish Press and their "unofficial archive of the Coronation Street cast at work and play... virtually unrivalled in the media industry" (i.e. they turn up and annoy the fuck out of them by taking photos while they're trying to eat/drink in private) in their good books.

This thread has been most entertaining. Good work.

GMP have a duty to investigate this crime. Whether they put any effort into it is another matter, but they'll keep the records on file even if nobody presses charges.

I really don't think that a bit of accelerant burning for a couple of minutes would damage the brickwork but the claims that it could damage wildlife are funny, if not exactly realistic. There's probably a couple of million gallons of water in the tunnel alone and a few ml of lighter fluid would evaporate within minutes.
I really don't think that a bit of accelerant burning for a couple of minutes would damage the brickwork
A fuckin big WOW you either work for cavendish or don't want this to get someone in trouble.
(1) How do you know lighter fuel was used and (2) it only burned for minutes btw ??? (3) and how do you know ..............well anything you've posted ??
1. I don't, I was using it as an example, but all the accelerants I can think of that you could buy over the counter are petrochemical based and have very high volatility (paraffin excepted, but that's low toxicity) which is WHY they burn well; they are immiscible in water and would float on the surface (think oil spill) and would evaporate in a matter of minutes, hours at the very most. If they'd used white spirit (which is a solvent, not an accelerant, but it does burn well) then yes, that is slightly miscible with water, can do damage to wildlife, but if you were setting fire to something, wouldn't you use BBQ lighter fluid?
2. haven't you ever set fire to a guy? Woven cotton doesn't burn very easily, nor very hot, which is why you stuff it with paper, and why it takes about half an hour to burn fully when sat on top of a fecking hot bonfire. The chances are good that the accelerant would have burned off in a matter of seconds, the shirt would have ignited pretty easily, but the rest of the "effigy" (including his paper face) would have been left as a smouldering mess for a few moments. The chances of that small amount of heat generated doing any damage to the brickwork (compared to 150 years of damp and rain, or compared to the damage it would do to the ROPE, for example) are not even worth entertaining. I'd be surprised if there was even any carbon left on the bricks from that sort of distance, let alone heat damage.
3. I have a Masters in Chemistry, pretty much qualifies me to comment on cheaply available accelerant flammability, and gives me a pretty good idea of the specific heat capacity of bricks. The quote was from <a class="postlink" href="http://www.cavendish-press.co.uk/celebrity.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.cavendish-press.co.uk/celebrity.html</a>

I would very much like to see Cavendish Press get into trouble, not just over this either, and not just them, all low-life gutter press like them, but I'm yet to see anything approaching "evidence" that might do that. Unless you can find a witness to corroborate/conflict with their version of events it's all circumstancial. They know this, which is precisely why they chose a deserted place to stage this "event". Would be interesting to see where GMP's enquiries lead, especially if the cameraman lives in Mossley, but I really do not expect a conviction.

The best thing you can do is boycott any publications that use pictures by Cavendish Press and write to that publication to tell them why. But that'll have almost no effect either.

WOW is about right.

-- Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:15 am --

roach3 said:
Balti said:
article-1322744-0BB64848000005DC-761_634x355.jpg

I never tire of seeing this picture, its fucking hilarious just standing there doing fuckall.
Wonder if they are up for hire and do a job on cavendish?
Wonder if they ARE Cavendish?
You may well have a degree in chemistry but i'll bet you don't have a full set of fingers with all the guessing you are doing.
Was it tested or used anywhere else ?did anything else get burned?etc
To suggest you have any idea what was used and to then state what effect the made up chemical you have guessed was used would have on the bridge and surrounding area is hardly the solid groundwork theory of someone with a chem degree.,i'm shocked by that chem degree thing btw.
Any number of solvents/accelerants used in the workplace can do serious damage ,honestly,but you knew that didnt you.
Buy over a shop counter,pmsl.

bluemanc said:
You may well have a degree in chemistry but i'll bet you don't have a full set of fingers with all the guessing you are doing.
To suggest you have any idea what was used and to then state what effect the made up chemical you have guessed was used would have on the bridge and surrounding area is hardly the solid groundwork theory of someone with a chem degree.,i'm shocked by that chem degree thing btw.
Any number of solvents/accelerants used in the workplace can do serious damage ,honestly,but you knew that didnt you.
You're right, this is mostly guesswork, but I do in fact have a chemistry degree. This means I am more qualified than you to make assumptions about flammability based on what I have seen in the photographs.

I'll explain why I'm assuming that BBQ lighter fluid was used and then you can explain your reasoning.

The flames look like flames from lighter fluid. It's not fully combusting, there is a yellow flame. That effectively rules out spirits and most accelerants. Incomplete combustion usually creates smoke (soot, carbon). That makes bricks go black. It doesn't damage them, it makes them dirty.

They haven't completely doused the effigy. This implies a thoroughly slapdash effort, which makes me think that they haven't put very much thought or planning into it at all. They might, however, have reliased they might have to squirt it, and thus bought a bottle of BBQ lighter fluid, which you can squirt. Or, they couldn't reach, so they just doused cigarette lighter fluid on its legs.

It clearly was bought over a shop counter because a shop is where you would buy BBQ lighter fluid and generally, people who work for media agencies don't have highly flammable chemicals lying around the workplace, and don't have an account with a supplier of accelerants, which clearly weren't used anyway (see above) and even if we assume this wasn't a setup, the sort of people who are intending to set fire to things would not generally be daft enough to steal those items from their workplace, when they could just walk into a shop and buy some lighter fluid over the counter or into a petrol station with a jerry can and buy some petrol.

So it could have been petrol.

All volatile chemicals evaporate and most are immiscible with water. Pouring volatile organic chemicals into the drains can cause damage to wildlife. If one person does it, that potential for damage is minimal. If everyone does it, the potential is massive.

Do you know how long it takes for a brick to heat up from such a small, short-lived, moderate heat source?

Let alone a number of bricks.

Let alone why the bricks would be damaged, yet the effigy's paper face remains largely undamaged.

Let alone why they build chimneys out of bricks.

Do you know how long it took Fred Dibnah to fell a chimney?

And for the avoidance of doubt, may I suggest you put a brick in a bonfire on Nov 5th and tell me what's left behind on Nov 6th. You should find some ash, probably some rusty nails, and a brick.

I assume you don't work for CID or forensics if you are shocked that I have a Masters in Chemistry. The mere mention of specific heat capacity in this scenario should have been a hint that I might well know what I'm talking about when it comes to heat and burning things, and that probably, you should listen to people who clearly know what they are talking about. So far, you've not given me a clue that you might know what you are talking about, but clearly you're very good at making up plausible but improbable assertions.

Unless, of course, you work for Cavendish Press, or GMP, and you know something I don't, in which case, please tell us what really happened.

baldmosher said:
bluemanc said:
You're right, this is mostly guesswork, but I do in fact have a chemistry degree. This means I am more qualified than you to make assumptions about flammability based on what I have seen in the photographs.

I'll explain why I'm assuming that BBQ lighter fluid was used and then you can explain your reasoning.

The flames look like flames from lighter fluid. It's not fully combusting, there is a yellow flame. That effectively rules out spirits and most accelerants. Incomplete combustion usually creates smoke (soot, carbon). That makes bricks go black. It doesn't damage them, it makes them dirty.

They haven't completely doused the effigy. This implies a thoroughly slapdash effort, which makes me think that they haven't put very much thought or planning into it at all. They might, however, have reliased they might have to squirt it, and thus bought a bottle of BBQ lighter fluid, which you can squirt. Or, they couldn't reach, so they just doused cigarette lighter fluid on its legs.

It clearly was bought over a shop counter because a shop is where you would buy BBQ lighter fluid and generally, people who work for media agencies don't have highly flammable chemicals lying around the workplace, and don't have an account with a supplier of accelerants, which clearly weren't used anyway (see above) and even if we assume this wasn't a setup, the sort of people who are intending to set fire to things would not generally be daft enough to steal those items from their workplace, when they could just walk into a shop and buy some lighter fluid over the counter or into a petrol station with a jerry can and buy some petrol.

All volatile chemicals evaporate and most are immiscible with water. Pouring volatile organic chemicals into the drains can cause damage to wildlife. If one person does it, that potential for damage is minimal. If everyone does it, the potential is massive.

Do you know how long it takes for a brick to heat up from such a small, short-lived, moderate heat source?

Let alone why the bricks would be damaged, yet the effigy's paper face remains largely undamaged.

And for the avoidance of doubt, may I suggest you put a brick in a bonfire on Nov 5th and tell me what's left behind on Nov 6th. You should find some ash, probably some rusty nails, and a brick.

I assume you don't work for CID or forensics if you are shocked that I have a Masters in Chemistry. The mere mention of specific heat capacity in this scenario should have been a hint that I might well know what I'm talking about when it comes to heat and burning things, and that probably, you should listen to people who clearly know what they are talking about. So far, you've not given me a clue that you might know what you are talking about, but clearly you're very good at making up plausible but improbable assertions.

Unless, of course, you work for Cavendish Press, or GMP, and you know something I don't, in which case, please tell us what really happened.
Bollocks ;-)

baldmosher said:
bluemanc said:

Although the difference between a Bridge and a Chimney may be lost on you, they are indeed different and one of them,guess which one will be more likely to be damaged by fire if in a picture with an effigy burning close to it,a clue it's not the Chimney.
Ok! although i believe you are lying about the degree, which means fuck all if you have never had a job to put any of the your vast knowledge of heating up a test tube to use.
You cannot tell by a static picture what has or hasn't been used you've actually admitted that but continue to guess what was used,confused,you have no idea whatsoever what was used and you have no idea what effect heat has on a bridge that will most probaly not be in prestine condition.
Ever done a risk assesment on a bridge potencially damaged by fire ??
You do not know until you access the risk,fuck me they would love you"it'll be ok lads it looks safe to me,put those ladders back in the van".
Anyway i think your a WUM so i'm leaving this,good look in your chosen field and FFS take care of your remaining fingers .

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.