Electric cars

I'd gladly spend more for an electric vehicle - but the infrastructure, for me, isn't quite there.
l
I'm retired and live in a Condominium - no personal garage. So how am I to charge an electric vehicle? I simply cannot with any sort of convenience.

As an aside, what happens to all those materials used to construct the batteries used in electric vehicles once the electric car has reached end-of-life?
Elon will dump them on Mars, no worries.

Elon will dump them on Mars, no worries.
Oh! I feel so much better now :-)

Roadster_Still.jpg

Diesel particulates are carcinogenic.
If you lived on a busy highway full of trucks and buses, do you not think that's your health and in particular your lungs would be better off without the fumes ?

I'd love to see ALL emissions reduced, but the problem is that we are hailing cars such as the 1.8 tonne Tesla Model 3 as a 'green' car when it really isn't.

Particulates from tyre degradation are just as bad if not worse. Non-exhaust emissions (tyres/brakes, etc.) of PM10/PM2.5 is now the major cause of roadside particulate matter.

We need to see a shift towards smaller, lighter more efficient hydrocarbon fuelled vehicles alongside EV's to fill the obvious gap until either battery tech improves or an alternative energy source becomes a viable alternative.

Apparently 100% recyclable. Eventually when saturation point is met, the new cars will be made by recycling the old batteries, meaning hardly any mining will be needed
But what is the cost of recycling 100% of a Tesla? I'd hazard a guess that it isn't yet (and probably never will be) economically viable, and I bet it's not particularly environmentally friendly to do so either.

But what is the cost of recycling 100% of a Tesla? I'd hazard a guess that it isn't yet (and probably never will be) economically viable, and I bet it's not particularly environmentally friendly to do so either.

As the manufacturer of our in-house cell program, we are best positioned to recycle our products efficiently to maximize key battery material recovery. With the implementation of in-house cell manufacturing at Gigafactory Berlin-Brandenburg and Gigafactory Texas, we expect substantial increases in manufacturing scrap globally. We intend to tailor recycling solutions to each location and thereby re-introduce valuable materials back into our manufacturing process. Our goal is to develop a safe recycling process with high recovery rates, low costs and low environmental impact. From an economic perspective, we expect to recognize significant savings over the long term as the costs associated with large-scale battery material recovery and recycling will be far lower than purchasing additional raw materials for cell manufacturing.”

Surely they need a brake fluid check every 2-3 years like a FF car? And again pads and discs are not "sealed for life" and need regular checks and maintenance surely? Then there are suspension components - I assume they have to have an MOT - a Tesla is a car - its the power/propulsion that is different that is all you still have most of the weak points regular cars have

Hardly use your brakes due to regen

when your car becomes that drawer at home or at work thats full of cables and head phones some you still use some you don't but they are all tangled up when you were sure you put them neatly away last time you were in there

It really As I have my cable in a little compartment in my front boot!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.