Electric cars

Or maybe these people have no means to charge at home?
But that shouldn't make people anti EV. Some people are dead set against EV's for no good reason.
Spreading false information and insults.
I agree EV's don't suit everybody yet. But they are getting very good, very quickly.

Charging at home is the cheaper way to run the car, but you can charge everywhere now.
Also, some charging companies run schemes offering cheaper charging for a monthly subscription.

My ICE car is in the garage tomorrow for 4 glow plugs and controller, and injector no2 being replaced.
To be fair, this car has given very little trouble over the last three years. Yet for the last 8 months, every month sees a new engine fault. EGR/DPF/Stop-Start. The engine literally feeds it's own shit back down its throat. So no matter how well serviced and looked after, the emission stuff eventually kills the engine. It will be my last ICE car.

But that shouldn't make people anti EV. Some people are dead set against EV's for no good reason.
I agree EV's don't suit everybody yet. But they are getting very good, very quickly.

Charging at home is the cheaper way to run the car, but you can charge everywhere now.
Also, some charging companies run schemes offering cheaper charging for a monthly subscription.

My ICE car is in the garage tomorrow for 4 glow plugs and controller, and injector no2 being replaced.
To be fair, this car has given very little trouble over the last three years. Yet for the last 8 months, every month sees a new engine fault. EGR/DPF/Stop-Start. The engine literally feeds it's own shit back down its throat. So no matter how well serviced and looked after, the emission stuff eventually kills the engine. It will be my last ICE car.

Fair play. I dunno if I've been lucky or just picked well but I've never had any major issues with any of my petrol cars apart from one flat battery in my 18 years of motoring.

I'll never buy an EV until you can charge them as quickly as you fill your car up at a petrol station (I.e 3-4 minutes when it's quiet) or more likely everyone will be forced to buy one when it's the only choice. Or if people can't afford the extortionate costs of electric cars then they'll be forced to use taxis or public transport.

I think that's what people don't like about them. They're a threat on the freedom of ordinary people who either choose not to live in a house with a drive or cannot afford one.

I switched to an EV when my employer started offering salary a sacrifice scheme - I'd never leased a car before, bought everything outright (or paid for them with a final balloon).

But range and charge time were a consideration so I picked the model with the longest WLTP range I could afford which also had a 80% charge time of under 30 minutes. And on those two factors it has been absolutely fine. I'm done a few long journeys from Stockport to London/Bristol etc needing charges at least one way but its never been an issue as bladder range ALWAYS wins any way.

But here's the real surprise - they go like f**king stink - I've never been a speed freak having spent the last 25 years in big MPV's/4x4's and Pickup Trucks - but this is an absolute hoot! You petrol heads who like to drive fast should really make the leap! 55K list gets you basically supercar performance!

I have a home charger which can fill it up with juice over night and has a real world range of 330 miles!

But dont buy a new one yet, residuals are all over the place and you stand to lose a lot of ca$h - second hand is probably becoming a different story now though

Or maybe these people have no means to charge at home?
Exactly. I did a quick check a few weeks ago and the cheapest public charger are 45p/kW according to Google. Many are up to 65 p/kW.
Electric cars typically do 2.5 to 3 mpkW so the cheapest is 15p per mile. Petrol for my Hyundai Ionic hybrid is currently 10.5p per mile.
EVs are great if you can charge at home, but public charging is expensive, charger rollout is well behind the target set by the last government and the cars themselves are expensive to buy.
Are EVs the answer, or are they a stop-gap until another fuel system (possibly hydrogen fuel cells) are developed for wide scale use?

Last edited:
I switched to an EV when my employer started offering salary a sacrifice scheme - I'd never leased a car before, bought everything outright (or paid for them with a final balloon).

But range and charge time were a consideration so I picked the model with the longest WLTP range I could afford which also had a 80% charge time of under 30 minutes. And on those two factors it has been absolutely fine. I'm done a few long journeys from Stockport to London/Bristol etc needing charges at least one way but its never been an issue as bladder range ALWAYS wins any way.

But here's the real surprise - they go like f**king stink - I've never been a speed freak having spent the last 25 years in big MPV's/4x4's and Pickup Trucks - but this is an absolute hoot! You petrol heads who like to drive fast should really make the leap! 55K list gets you basically supercar performance!

I have a home charger which can fill it up with juice over night and has a real world range of 330 miles!

But dont buy a new one yet, residuals are all over the place and you stand to lose a lot of ca$h - second hand is probably becoming a different story now though
55k for a car? Out of reach for most people. 2nd hand battery? Wouldn't touch a 2nd hand electric car with a bargepole. No matter how cheap. One day you are going to have to get rid/ bury it somewhere. That won't be cheap.

I've just checked. 7 petrol stations within 5 miles of my house. 8 charging points. Not stations, points. Population within 5 miles is around 10,000. Seeing as we are at around 50% cars to population that's 5000 cars, give or take. For 8 charging points. But wait, I think I read somewhere that a third of uk residents don't have a driveway/ off road parking. So that's around 1600 cars that need to charge daily from 8 charging points. Yup, that will work out just fine.

Obviously this is a semi rural area so I dread to think what it would be like in a major town/ city.

Anyway, it's a mute point. Buying an electric car is just like buying a fridge. It's white goods. When I drive I want a bit of noise. Not some silent box. Sure some are fast. A lot aren't. And are incredibly dull.

I'll stick with my xk8. I like it's moving parts.

Exactly. I did a quick check a few weeks ago and the cheapest public charger are 45p/kW according to Google. Many are up to 65 p/kW.
Electric cars typically do 2.5 to 3 mpkW so the cheapest is 15p per mile. Petrol for my Hyundai Ionic hybrid is currently 10.5p per mile.
EVs are great if you can charge at home, but public charging is expensive, charger rollout is well behind the target set by the last government and the cars themselves are expensive to buy.
Are EVs the answer, or are they a stop-gap until another fuel system (possibly hydrogen fuel cells) are developed for wide scale use?
Public chargers are expensive because the cost of energy has quadrupled over the last few years but they're still less than half as expensive versus petrol. Obviously the real game changer is charging from home, my EV costs me £2 to fully charge at home and that gives me 250 miles. It doesn't cost me anything to service or tax. I was previously paying £70 to fill up every other week + £500 road tax + £300 annual service.

I honestly don't understand the venom and opposition to them. The future is going to depend upon technology adoption and as that happens the cars will get cheaper. Petrol cars are cheap because they're widely adopted and have been around for 100 years. EV's have been around in mass for what 10 years?

Either way I've had shite petrol cars and great petrol cars but my EV has been the best car I've ever had. I'm 2 years in I have zero regrets. If it fits your driving style (no regular very long journeys) and you live in a house that can have a charger then it's a far superior choice if you can afford it.

It doesn't make sense on price to go from a cheapo runabout to an EV but it definitely makes sense to go from a more hungry and expensive car such as a BMW, Range Rover etc.

Public chargers are expensive because the cost of energy has quadrupled over the last few years but they're still less than half as expensive versus petrol. Obviously the real game changer is charging from home, my EV costs me £2 to fully charge at home and that gives me 250 miles. It doesn't cost me anything to service or tax. I was previously paying £70 to fill up every other week + £500 road tax + £300 annual service.

I honestly don't understand the venom and opposition to them. The future is going to depend upon technology adoption and as that happens the cars will get cheaper. Petrol cars are cheap because they're widely adopted and have been around for 100 years. EV's have been around in mass for what 10 years?

Either way I've had shite petrol cars and great petrol cars but my EV has been the best car I've ever had. I'm 2 years in I have zero regrets. If it fits your driving style (no regular very long journeys) and you live in a house that can have a charger then it's a far superior choice if you can afford it.

It doesn't make sense on price to go from a cheapo runabout to an EV but it definitely makes sense to go from a more hungry and expensive car such as a BMW, Range Rover et

How can public chargers be half as expensive as petrol when the cost per mile is 50% higher? They may be when servicing costs are taken into account, but they certainly aren't when considering fuel alone. I have nothing against EVs but I live in a flat without a designated parking place so they are not economically viable for me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.