Electric cars

Bit the bullet and got a BMW i4 on a salary sacrifice scheme at work, had it a month now. It’s the most fun car I’ve ever driven, the acceleration is just scary when you want it to be. Waiting for a charger to be installed at home but can charge it at work for 23p/kwh which is pretty bloody good anyway, saving a fortune already on running costs.

Bit the bullet and got a BMW i4 on a salary sacrifice scheme at work, had it a month now. It’s the most fun car I’ve ever driven, the acceleration is just scary when you want it to be. Waiting for a charger to be installed at home but can charge it at work for 23p/kwh which is pretty bloody good anyway, saving a fortune already on running costs.
Wait till you are charged peanuts for the servicing.

Only issue is I’m on a looped supply and national grid are going to have to dig up my drive before I can get a charger installed and fully working.

It’s costing me £10 at work to go from about 10% to 80% though so I’m not that bothered.

I'm three months in now and do not see any downsides.
All those anti EV brigade either don't own one or have ulterior motives.

Maybe earlier EV's were a bit boring or odd looking. And the "soulless" taglines was before the performance EV's shown up.
These things are shockingly fast. The instant response means few would ever go back to petrol.
In petrol and diesels defence, it's the emission stuff like EGR's and DPF/Cats are what are killing them. Apart from robbing throttle response, the amount of maintenance needed for those bits need makes running an ice car expensive.

There isn't much to go wrong on an EV, and no worries when you floor it. Thrashing a ICE car all day isn't a good idea.
It's took me a while to stop "warming it up" before flooring it!

Last edited:
Only issue is I’m on a looped supply and national grid are going to have to dig up my drive before I can get a charger installed and fully working.

It’s costing me £10 at work to go from about 10% to 80% though so I’m not that bothered.

We are on a looped supply and got a charger installed no problem, Octopus energy installer checked size of fuse and fitted a CT clamp that balances the load (set at a limit of 60 amps). First company I called asked for some photos and told me the you’ll need the drive way dug up, so might be worth calling around.

We are on a looped supply and got a charger installed no problem, Octopus energy installer checked size of fuse and fitted a CT clamp that balances the load (set at a limit of 60 amps). First company I called asked for some photos and told me the you’ll need the drive way dug up, so might be worth calling around.

Does that limit the charge you get to the car charger? Or can you get the full 7kwh?

I’ve been in touch with a couple, the second one said they could do it but would limit the charge to something like 3kw until National grid unlooped the supply. Ita not a subject I know much about so I’m going to do some proper googling!

I'm three months in now and do not see any downsides.
All those anti EV brigade either don't own one or have ulterior motives.

Maybe earlier EV's were a bit boring or odd looking. And the "soulless" taglines was before the performance EV's shown up.
These things are shockingly fast. The instant response means few would ever go back to petrol.
In petrol and diesel defence, it's the emission stuff like EGR's and DPF/Cats are what are killing them. Apart from robbing throttle response, the amount of maintenance needed for those bits need makes running an ice car expensive.

There isn't much to go wrong on an EV, and no worries when you floor it. Thrashing a ICE car all day isn't a good idea.
It's took me a while to stop "warming it up" before flooring it!

Completely agree with this. Like I said, I’ve never had more fun with a car. The only caveat I’d say is I’ve got mine for four years and then I give it back so I don’t need to worry about any long term degradation in price or performance. The retail price of it is knocking on 70k, I wouldn’t have bought one personally, it works because of the salary sacrifice and the benefits that come with doing that.

Given a choice, I wouldn’t go back to petrol or diesel.

Completely agree with this. Like I said, I’ve never had more fun with a car. The only caveat I’d say is I’ve got mine for four years and then I give it back so I don’t need to worry about any long term degradation in price or performance. The retail price of it is knocking on 70k, I wouldn’t have bought one personally, it works because of the salary sacrifice and the benefits that come with doing that.

Given a choice, I wouldn’t go back to petrol or diesel.
In four years EV's will be light years ahead again.
600+ mile range will be a thing. Ultra fast charging and more charging stations will be even better.
Prices will keep dropping rapidly as battery prices drop.

It is scary to think where performance will be. The Hyundai Ioniq 5 N already does 0-60 in just over 3 seconds, corners on rails and beats many super cars. It's not cheap at £60k, but for a family saloon, it shows what is coming!

At the other end of the scale, the Dacia Spring EV starts at £14k. Even with it's limited range, it will suits loads of people who do low miles.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.