Electric cars

The owner of the company I work for has a Tesla
He drove from Glasgow to Birmingham with his charging points/coffee stops worked out, but at the final one all the charging points were out of order so he had to carry on his journey while ringing people to search for the nearest charging areas for him
As the battery life decreased the car then started shutting down to save energy. First the radio then air con, then his lights!
He eventually made it to the services on the m42 with about 4% battery life and brown skid marks in his underpants

That is a concern but hopefully one that will be less over time.

My boss managed to drive his tesla from Manchester to Hamberg and back with no issues on charging points.

He drove from Glasgow to Birmingham with his charging points/coffee stops worked out, but at the final one all the charging points were out of order so he had to carry on his journey while ringing people to search for the nearest charging areas for him
As the battery life decreased the car then started shutting down to save energy. First the radio then air con, then his lights!
He eventually made it to the services on the m42 with about 4% battery life and brown skid marks in his underpants
I thought they were now all built with sat navs that tell your where your nearest charging point is? They even calculate the route for you I thought.

Used market here is pretty good for our primary vehicle and so we're going to sell it soon - idea is to get something electric but likely also in the used market. Tesla is not ideal but currently the best option on balance, IMHO

Didn't have the balls for range anxiety so went Hybrid until the charging infrastructure is better.

Got a 330e, Get just over 30 miles per day of pure electric and its an amazing car to drive.

Get around 80mpg on my 97 mile commute.

It's nice having petrol to rely on when you run out of charge. Similarly, it's nice having an electric to rely on when you've got an empty tank and can't be arsed to go fill up.

Didn't have the balls for range anxiety so went Hybrid until the charging infrastructure is better.

Got a 330e, Get just over 30 miles per day of pure electric and its an amazing car to drive.

Get around 80mpg on my 97 mile commute.

It's nice having petrol to rely on when you run out of charge. Similarly, it's nice having an electric to rely on when you've got an empty tank and can't be arsed to go fill up.
If you did under 30 miles a day then would you run it purely off electric? Does it need charging or is it self charging? Im really torn what to do next as my current lease is up in Jan. I looked at an e-golf, but the range is only 120 miles on it so thats just not practical. I dont do a lot of miles, probably only 100-150 a week but every now and then i do longer drives so would need range.

If you did under 30 miles a day then would you run it purely off electric? Does it need charging or is it self charging? Im really torn what to do next as my current lease is up in Jan. I looked at an e-golf, but the range is only 120 miles on it so thats just not practical. I dont do a lot of miles, probably only 100-150 a week but every now and then i do longer drives so would need range.
Another guy I worked with had a Porsche cayenne hybrid
He got somewhere between 8 and 15 miles on his electric charge

Another guy I worked with had a Porsche cayenne hybrid
He got somewhere between 8 and 15 miles on his electric charge

Problem is a lot of cars purport to be hybrids but ultimately are part time to the extent that it is meaningless. We have a Lexus rx450h and while it gets better fuel economy than many SUVs it's far from say a Prius in that regard

I don't understand how people run out of charge. I rented a Model X for a treat a while back for travel and had no problem, we did 500 miles in 2 days and probably charged it up three times (the last because we had to give it back charged up).

The sat nav plans and tells you where to stop for the free superchargers. If not you can always find a normal charger because there's thousands of them all over the place. There's an app called ZapMap that tells you where they are nearest to you. If you're travelling and staying somewhere then all you do is pick a hotel with a charger.

Either way, most people won't do these kind of journeys, they'll just travel 10 miles and come home and plug it back in so no worries.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.