Electric cars

Erm no, you went on to say they are worse for the environment than petrol which is factually inaccurate. I just provided some evidence so at least own up to your own shit.
I said...no better. Just as bad. And multiple times not the answer. Studies are fine but we still don't know the shelf life of the batteries and what happens to them.

So they still fuck up the planet.

Pushbikes like the idea with carbon friendly wheels and can last you a lifetime and easy to recycle ( boom boom )

Healthy for everyone and will result in fewer deaths on the road.
You're discounting all of the extra dead cyclists then?

Greenpeace would never be happy until we return to the Stone Age.

I am by far a fan of EV's and don't think they provide a long term answer to mobility however that lame response is one from someone who has no idea, can't be arsed doing any research and thinks that a "witty" comment wins the argument.

I'd put it down there with the retort " City are a club with no fans or history " and " Oil money" tbh.

Will we go to war for home country electricity generation?
Require military bases all over the world to protect our supply of electricity?

Just wondering where we stop counting the cost of petroleum products to our society?
Good points

I am by far a fan of EV's and don't think they provide a long term answer to mobility however that lame response is one from someone who has no idea, can't be arsed doing any research and thinks that a "witty" comment wins the argument.

I'd put it down there with the retort " City are a club with no fans or history " and " Oil money" tbh.

I know plenty about EVs and if I was stinking rich and had a garage with the option to fit a fast charger then I would consider looking into one.

Unfortunately I'm not stinking rich and nor are the majority of car buyers. I guess the biggest flaws for EVs are charge time and cost. If you don't have a place to charge one at home then you have to pay handsomely to charge them and also have to waste hours a week sitting around waiting. Unless you're willing to wait around for even more hours at your local supermarket where you might be able to top up a bit during your weekly shop...

Regarding cost they're just too expensive to comparable petrol cars. I assume a lot of the cost is in the batteries and until they can get this cost down then they'll struggle to get EVs to a competitive price point for Joe Average.

I stick by what I said about Greenpeace. They can never be pleased. Nothing is ever good enough for them. They're too extreme in their views and have scant regard for what happens in the 'real world'. To me they are irrelevant.

I've yet to see a test/ review of an ev where the manufacturers claimed range has been achieved.
Cold weather dramatically reduces range, as does air con, heated seats etc. There are deffo some porkies being told, although that doesn't really suprise given the recent emissions skullduggery.
Many knowledgeable journos are of the opinion that evs are the stepping stone to get us away from ic, but wont be the grail many think they are.
Interesting times ahead.

I guess the biggest flaws for EVs are charge time and cost.

and range.

£40k car in which you face a 320 mile journey. If it rains or goes dark or you want to be entertained and your range drops. Then you stop and spend an hour or more "re-filling".

In pre-pandemic days I did that sort of distance regularly. Such a fucking ball ache on our motorways. If the vehicle I am in needs a refill I can do so in 10mins and it probably in reality means one splash and dash towards the end of the journey. Not 3 at least one hour long stops extending my journey time by hours.

and range.

£40k car in which you face a 320 mile journey. If it rains or goes dark or you want to be entertained and your range drops. Then you stop and spend an hour or more "re-filling".

In pre-pandemic days I did that sort of distance regularly. Such a fucking ball ache on our motorways. If the vehicle I am in needs a refill I can do so in 10mins and it probably in reality means one splash and dash towards the end of the journey. Not 3 at least one hour long stops extending my journey time by hours.
GM did a study in America where they found that 80% of daily commutes were 40 miles or under. That’s 80% of the population of about 200M adults.

Some people drive considerably longer distances and need hauling capacity, which is much easier to achieve in a diesel/petroleum powered vehicle over longer distances. So be it...don’t get an EV.

However, just because the technology is new, and we have got used to living by burning dinosaur remains for about a century, doesn’t mean there are not large swaths of society for whom an EV should be a no brainer.

C84A231F-7D81-4D50-AF3D-36B65C0C126C.png
And, please don’t tell me you have to be stinking rich to own/run one! These are two I recently looked at as a 3rd car now we have 4 adults in the house.

We currently have a 2013 Volt (Ampera) with 110,000 miles and not a hiccup. TWO...YES, TWO oil changes on the ICE back up in 110,000 miles, as dictated by the cars onboard computer. It gets about 30 miles of EV in the harsh Chicago winter, and about 50 miles in the warm summers. We plug it into a REGULAR HOUSEHOLD SOCKET in the garage, where it recharges at about 4 MPH...or a full charge from drained battery overnight. That costs about $1.00-1.50 depending upon electricity rates/demand.

The Volt (with a V) was the precursor to the Bolt (with a B) pictured above. The battery tech is proven and just larger in the Bolt, but then they had a lot of room when they took out the ICE equipment in the Volt! The Bolt is about the same size as a BMW i3.

Now, have I checked on how much the kids that mine lithium get paid, or the cost of cobalt recently? No. But, I do know the USA has the largest military budget in the world to help keep the flow of oil passing through the Gulf and to the places (allies) that need it, and that ain’t cheap, either!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.