Electrician help

Are the sockets on a radial or a spur?

A radial socket will have 2 live and 2 neutral cables per socket; a spur will have just 1 live and one neutral (unless they are the last socket in the radial).

If it's a spur, then you can just disconnect the socket and separate/tape up the conductors. With a radial you will have to remove the wires from the socket and connect them together with an appropriate connector, then apply electrical tape round the connector.

Isolate the circuit (trip the CB) before you make or break any connections and always use a socket tester to make sure the circuit is dead.

If you have ANY doubt, call an electrician.

The sockets are spur.

I'll do what you've advised tomorrow.

The socket/s aside, I need to find out where the damp is coming from.

Thanks for your advice and help. Much appreciated.

Need some advice, if anyone can help, please.

When it rains heavily the RCD switch keeps on tripping.

I've narrowed the problem down to the downstairs sockets.

I do have some internal damp problems on 2 walls that have 2 sockets on them.

I don't know where the damp is coming from because they are internal walls, not external walls. The paint keeps on bubbling up and flaking away. I have to keep on repainting the walls over a period of time. There's no visible wood rot on the skirting boards or bubbling of the laminate flooring.

Inbetween the two sockets is the chimney breast. The chimney pots are capped so rain shouldn't be coming down the chimney breast, which was where the old gas fire was.

How can I find out if it is either or both of those two wall sockets causing the RCD to trip? And what do I have to do to both or either of those two sockets to stop the RCD tripping, so I can use the the other downstairs sockets. (without killing myself. :-) )

I will get an electrician in at some point. I just want to isolate either or both of those two sockets so they don't keep on tripping the RCD switch when it rains.

Thanks.
I'd fix the hole in the roof.
You can thank me later, right now I'd think more about covering the electric thingy with a plastic bag

The sockets are spur.

I'll do what you've advised tomorrow.

The socket/s aside, I need to find out where the damp is coming from.

Thanks for your advice and help. Much appreciated.
No worries.

I know yours are a spur, but just in case anyone has a similar issue with radials, to clarify (for my own piece of mind), when I said connect the wires from a radial socket together I meant separately (live to live, neutral to neutral, earth to earth). You might laugh, but I've actually seen someone just connect them all together and then wonder why their main CB tripped.

No worries.

I know yours are a spur, but just in case anyone has a similar issue with radials, to clarify (for my own piece of mind), when I said connect the wires from a radial socket together I meant separately (live to live, neutral to neutral, earth to earth). You might laugh, but I've actually seen someone just connect them all together and then wonder why their main CB tripped.
I tired doing that. It was green to green, brown to brown ant then blue to bits!!

I don't know where the damp is coming from because they are internal walls, not external walls. The paint keeps on bubbling up and flaking away. I have to keep on repainting the walls over a period of time. There's no visible wood rot on the skirting boards or bubbling of the laminate flooring.

Inbetween the two sockets is the chimney breast. The chimney pots are capped so rain shouldn't be coming down the chimney breast, which was where the old gas fire was.

How can I find out if it is either or both of those two wall sockets causing the RCD to trip? And what do I have to do to both or either of those two sockets to stop the RCD tripping, so I can use the the other downstairs sockets. (without killing myself. :-) )

I will get an electrician in at some point. I just want to isolate either or both of those two sockets so they don't keep on tripping the RCD switch when it rains.

Thanks.
Have you checked the connections at the sockets for corrosion/ or tightened them if loose ? If you think it's a socket at fault just renew it. Either that or remove the socket and temporarily reconnect the ring with Wago type spring connections and recover with a blanking plate. Either one is a fairly easy cheap option for trouble shooting.

Have you checked the connections at the sockets for corrosion/ or tightened them if loose ? If you think it's a socket at fault just renew it. Either that or remove the socket and temporarily reconnect the ring with Wago type spring connections and recover with a blanking plate. Either one is a fairly easy cheap option for trouble shooting.

Thanks.

I’ll have a look at the two offending plug sockets today.

Thanks.
Your leading has give way on your chimney, or birds are nesting in chimney. (obviously if your not using it)

Shocking thread!!

@jrb when you say the sockets either side of the fireplace are both spurs are they fed from a fused spur? If so your best bet is to kill the power and remove the outgoing cable from the fused spur.
infairness you could use that method if they are just butchered into your existing ring, but you would need to figure out which of the three cables is the one going to the socket.
personally my first port of call from what you have told us would be to unscrew the sockets from the wall and see whats going on behind them.
as always though kill the juice first, and if you get stuck call a spark

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.