Emmigrating to the US...

Ducado said:
GStar said:
just wanted to bump this up incase anyone who hadnt seen it and perhaps had some advice could take a look...

My sister lives in North Carolina, is married with two kids, she works hard and makes very good money and so does her husband, however whilst the standard of living (for them at least) is very good (you want to see their house and cars) they have very little free time to spend with each other or their kids, it really is a different work ethic

It is true with the states, they get their moneys worth out of you.

GSTAR, you are doing the right thing and talking about it before you suddenly act, all the states vary considerably with laws, weather, employment etc. Keep doing your homework, but personally i would avoid LA and the west coast, very glitzy in parts but like all US cities, very dangerous. I have the option at the moment to move to either Chicago or New York with my job and i have worked in both places before, but the timing at the moment is not quite right and a move to China, or phillipines is more on my radar.
The best advice i ever received was ''the grass is not always greener on the other side''.

Good luck, if you neeD more advice on Chicago or NYC, SHOUT!!!!!!

At your age it is easy to be tempted by an adventure like this and there definitely would be plusses, but please take time to consider the downside too. Someone earlier mentioned City, who you'll obviously miss, but what about old friends, relatives, places and events which you take for granted (until they're out of reach). In that respect, emigrating can be like a self-inflicted wound and all of these things must be added to the balance before you make your decision.

All-in-all the advantages of going must be huge to overcome the losses.

I am not trying to tell you not to go; it may be the finest thing you can do. All I'm saying is please think it through from both sides before deciding.

Oh, and don't forget that despite speaking a language that is partly based on ours, the inhabitants of the USA are still, for the most part, FOREIGNERS!

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Ducado said:
GStar said:
Yea, i've heard about the work ethic being really high... what kind of free time are we talking about? Do they get weekends to themselves?

Yes, but they don't have as much leave as we get, and only one day off at Xmas, plus their labour laws are not as stringent as here

don't discount that.....more of a live to work attitude which is one of the main reasons why I would like to emmigrate to Europe.....I may have to start a new thread....

I've often thought of emigrating (US or Aus), and I have travelled a bit and worked abroad, but just recently I've realised that although this country has a load of problems, it's still got loads going for it too; sport, music, culture, arts, history, stunning landscapes and areas of outstanding beauty and brilliant people. I'm learning to love Britain again.

Go and give it a try though, you'll be better for the experience.

Did anyone watch tonights 10 0' clock news on the BBC ? A report on the new unemployment figures in the U.S released today . Nearly 10% national unemployment , and in the state of Oregon the figure reaches just over 14% . These figures of unemployment are the highest recorded for over 25 years .

Stuart said:
Did anyone watch tonights 10 0' clock news on the BBC ? A report on the new unemployment figures in the U.S released today . Nearly 10% national unemployment , and in the state of Oregon the figure reaches just over 14% . These figures of unemployment are the highest recorded for over 25 years .

Michigan is closer to 20% and many parts of California are well over 10%.

Ducado said:
GStar said:
Yea, i've heard about the work ethic being really high... what kind of free time are we talking about? Do they get weekends to themselves?

Yes, but they don't have as much leave as we get, and only one day off at Xmas, plus their labour laws are not as stringent as here

Most companies (On the west coast at least) give out a MAXIMUM of 18 days holiday a year, including Xmas day, 4th July, and this weekend, Labour day.

alanjames24 said:
Ducado said:

Most companies (On the west coast at least) give out a MAXIMUM of 18 days holiday a year, including Xmas day, 4th July, and this weekend, Labour day.

Also, I had a mate who wanted to come out on a work visa (I came out on a marriage one) and it's really hard now. Too much unemployment. He just came out for a 3 week holiday. LA is a real shitty City. No offense to anyone that lives there, but if you want to live in a place in California, you'd best have some rich friends.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.