Ending a rental contract early

Tiattos_Waterbottle

Team supported
Manchester City, forever and always
Hello, not a massively frequent poster, though I do have a bit of a rumble in the politics threads sometimes, sometimes call the dippers cunts and so on and forth but I'm looking for a bit of advice.

I am looking to end my rental contract six months early as the building I am currently in constantly stinks of weed, all the communal areas are dirty, yobs keep entering the building and damaging external/communal areas, and the lift is broke more than it's working, which when you live up seven flights of stairs, is not ideal in the slightest.

I am currently in Oldham but I am looking to get back closer to home in Salford (Yeah, I know.) so I can be closer to family and friends as I feel rather isolated here too.

Problem is, I've six months left on my contract. I am renting through Thornley Groves if you are familiar with them, and I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with them in such matters or just ending a rental early in general.

I've set up a gofundme for myself (not posting it here, don't think it's appropriate of me.) to ask friends and family for a bit of help for any potential costs from trying to leave the contract early and obviously for any deposit (I'm on a no deposit scheme here) I may have to pay.

But yeah, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

First of all, I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It's no fun to be living somewhere you aren't happy.

I'm no expert so can only offer what I'd do, given my lack of understanding regarding the legalities of such situations.

Firstly I'd be all over the Citizens Advice website and/or call them to understand what your basic rights are. Both sides will have obligations, you and the landlord, based on what you've said it MAY be the case the landlords are breaching their obligations so you may have grounds to exit early. (This also may not be the case, but that's what needs clarifying).

I'd also, if not done already, document your concerns in writing to the landlords. Their response and whether they do anything about it or not will determine how strong a case you have for exiting early.

Lastly, good luck. You'll get the usual "burn it down" etc advice on here but no doubt there will be people with knowledge in the field who can steer you in the right direction.

i don't wish to be rude, but a gofundme page to move house ?, do people not save up for what they want nowadays , obviously i don't know your circumstances ,you've only got 6 months left on the contract,stick it out and save up for the deposit on your new place
Yeah; it does strike me as a bit of a piss take. Gofundme pages are, in my opinion, set up to help people who have hit hard times through no fault of their own. Maybe the death of the main breadwinner in the family. Or an accident that has left said breadwinner unable to work. Not for this situation.

Also, as a secondary point; aren't contracts generally legally binding?

Yeah; it does strike me as a bit of a piss take. Gofundme pages are, in my opinion, set up to help people who have hit hard times through no fault of their own. Maybe the death of the main breadwinner in the family. Or an accident that has left said breadwinner unable to work. Not for this situation.
That's your expected etiquette and a misconception. Gofundme pots are created for all manner of reasons, it's up to people if they donate or not, as long as there isn't a deception it isn't really anyone else's business. I once jokingly suggested to someone (as a piss take) that they could setup one for surgery and they thought it was a good idea.

Perhaps it would have been better to go to family or friends and borrow rather than this.

Also, as a secondary point; aren't contracts generally legally binding?

See Break clause, but the landlord's neglect of the lift etc may have already breached the contract. (Depends on if the flat is owned separately or if it's one block all under one landlord). It's probably owned independently though.

That's your expected etiquette and a misconception. Gofundme's are created for all manner of reasons, it's up to people if they donate or not, as long as there isn't a deception it isn't really anyone else's business. I once jokingly suggested to someone (as a piss take) that they could setup one for surgery and they thought it was a good idea.

Perhaps it would have been better to go to family or friends and borrow rather than this.

See Break clause, but the landlord's neglect of the lift etc may have already breached the contract. (Depends on if the flat is owned separately or if it's one block all under one landlord). It's probably owned independently though.
I'd be telling them that i couldn't even get to my front door due to the lift being out of action. In a high rise block a working lift is vital

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.