Energy, the environment & climate change.

Trevor Morley's Tache

In response to a post in the US Politics thread (@Nightmare Walking).

I often see this topic pop up in other threads, and people have some very strong opinions on the subject, often without having a particularly good understanding of the big picture stuff, let alone the finer details.

I'm by no means an expert on the subject. In fact I've probably only just scratched the surface myself. As an inhabitant of this planet I have a vested interest in doing my small part to make a difference (for the better) to the environment. In reality, in just by being alive we have a negative impact on the environment and no amount of 'green' practices are ever going to change that, certainly not in the 'developed' world.

National Grid's Future Energy Scenarios are a good source of information on potential future energy needs by use.

They also describe future supply options by technology/resource to enable achievement of the Net Zero by 2050 target (and, interestingly, how consumer behaviour will need to change depending on the scenario...)

In response to a post in the US Politics thread (@Nightmare Walking).

I often see this topic pop up in other threads, and people have some very strong opinions on the subject, often without having a particularly good understanding of the big picture stuff, let alone the finer details.

I'm by no means an expert on the subject. In fact I've probably only just scratched the surface myself. As an inhabitant of this planet I have a vested interest in doing my small part to make a difference (for the better) to the environment. In reality, in just by being alive we have a negative impact on the environment and no amount of 'green' practices are ever going to change that, certainly not in the 'developed' world.

For me the subject is like banging your head against a brick wall with the majority of people. Too many selfish fuckers in this world. I vote Green because that’s all I can do. Would go mad if I let it affect me.

Amazing how we find time and huge resources for something like Covid. Inconvenience ourselves for the planet or other species? Apparently that’s just to much trouble.

For me the subject is like banging your head against a brick wall with the majority of people. Too many selfish fuckers in this world. I vote Green because that’s all I can do. Would go mad if I let it affect me.

Amazing how we find time and huge resources for something like Covid. Inconvenience ourselves for the planet or other species? Apparently that’s just to much trouble.
This is an eye opener.

The guy who made it started out doing a documentary on plastics in the oceans, but ended up doing a documentary on the fishing industry.

Netflix doc 'Seaspiracy' reveals shocking dark secrets in fishing industry (thetab.com)

Cheers @Trevor Morley's Tache for starting the thread.

We kind of went right off topic yesterday in the US politics thread, but the discussion opened up some interesting questions. There also seems to be a lot of interest in the topic.

As for myself, I come at this topic from am electrical/electronic backgroud, rather than a climate change/environmentalist background. I probably know most about PV (Currently sat here designing microgrids for sub saharan Africa, as part of my studies) So I am learning systems design. I know quite a bit about how they work at the fundamental level. I can dig my notes out regarding all the other generating methods if need be.
I have looked into ways of cutting our carbon footprint (Its not going to be easy, there are difficult decisions to be made and the developed world needs to take the lead). I have also looked into energy security.

Now that Joe Biden thankfully come back into the Paris treaty, how does the rest of the world force China to chamge their ways? Thats the key thing.

Oh, just to add, but I am not against nuclear. Realistically it needs to be part of the energy system. Yes I am studying renewable energy, but I am realistic enough to know that renewables will not 100% solve all our problems.

Cheers @Trevor Morley's Tache for starting the thread.

We kind of went right off topic yesterday in the US politics thread, but the discussion opened up some interesting questions. There also seems to be a lot of interest in the topic.

As for myself, I come at this topic from am electrical/electronic backgroud, rather than a climate change/environmentalist background. I probably know most about PV (Currently sat here designing microgrids for sub saharan Africa, as part of my studies) So I am learning systems design. I know quite a bit about how they work at the fundamental level. I can dig my notes out regarding all the other generating methods if need be.
I have looked into ways of cutting our carbon footprint (Its not going to be easy, there are difficult decisions to be made and the developed world needs to take the lead). I have also looked into energy security.

Now that Joe Biden thankfully come back into the Paris treaty, how does the rest of the world force China to chamge their ways? Thats the key thing.

Oh, just to add, but I am not against nuclear. Realistically it needs to be part of the energy system. Yes I am studying renewable energy, but I am realistic enough to know that renewables will not 100% solve all our problems.
I have a background in aircraft electrical/avionics/electronics, but I have also done some work related Environmental Protection type stuff.

Personally, I think a lot of the early take up 'green' energy companies are using it to secure future profits and not necessarily thinking about the environment. A work colleague (electrical engineer) who had PV's fitted to his roof a number of years ago now devised a way of maximising the output from his panels by applying a trickle flow of water across the panel to keep them cool and increase their efficiency (using a modified greenhouse automatic watering system). He managed to get a 30% increase in output over about 6 months, which he was feeding back to the grid. Out of the blue he got a knock on the door from his supplier, and and was told in no uncertain terms to pack it in or they'd be forced to disconnect the panels.

I think some things we do, such as the way plastics are dumped into the oceans, are absolutely diabolical and should be a source of shame to all of us.

That said, I really don't buy into this narrative of "climate catastrophe" with respect to CO2 and warming etc. Climate change is a much better term. Our climate is always changing and yes the rate of change is faster but that does not mean the world will end. It will simply be a bit different, with some places warmer and wetter, others drier and some colder. And we are talking decades upon decades before there's anything dramatically detrimental and even then there will be some upsides never discussed, such as less people dying of cold, places which are currently not arable becoming viable for agriculture.

Neither do people typically consider the technological advances which may occur over the next 100 years to put changes into reverse if needed. "Free" clean energy from nuclear fusion reactors meaning near zero athropogenic CO2 output. Enormous carbon sequestration capability, either man-made or bio-engineered, for example.

It's not something for us to become complacent about, for sure. But it's not something to lose sleep over either, IMO. The hysteria around it is perhaps caused by people who wrongly believe the world is ending (because they know no better) and by factions whose self-interest is served by fuelling this melodrama. It's naïve to think that all of the content being pushed out is done with virtuous intent. Some of it is done for commercial gain. Does anyone think Elon Musk is on a mission to save the planet? I don't. Ditto to what extent are Volvo (for example) so concerned about the environment? Vs concerned about how to continue to sell cars?

Last edited:
I think some things we do, such as the way plastics are dumped into the oceans, are absolutely diabolical and should be a source of shame to all of us.

That said, I really don't buy into this narrative of "climate catastrophe" with respect to CO2 and warming etc. Climate change is a much better term. Our climate is always changing and yes the rate of change is faster but that does not mean the world will end. It will simply be a bit different, with some places warmer and wetter, others drier and some colder. And we are talking decades upon decades before there's anything dramatically detrimental and even then there will be some upsides never discussed, such as less people dying of cold, places which are currently not arable becoming viable for agriculture.

Neither do people typically consider the technological advances which may occur over the next 100 years to put changes into reverse if needed. "Free" clean energy from nuclear fusion reactors meaning near zero athropogenic CO2 output. Enormous carbon sequestration capability, either man-made or bio-engineered, for example.

It's not something for us to become complacent about, for sure. But it's not something to lose sleep over either, IMO. The hysteria around it is perhaps caused by people who wrongly believe the world is ending (because they know no better) and by factions whose self-interest is served by fuelling this melodrama. It's naïve to think that all of the content being pushed out is done with virtuous intent. Some of it is done for commercial gain. Does anyone think Elon Musk is on a mission to save the planet? I don't. Ditto are Volvo (for example) so concerned about the environment? Or concerned about how to continue to sell cars?

Oh, I see now. Stick your head in the sand and your fingers in your ears saying ‘la la la, la‘ and it will be sorted out? Well I never.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.