England - care less with a successful City?

PaleBlue said:
Back in the day (90-98) when City were fairly poor, and England half decent I would have said I was firmly an England fan. As the years have passed, I find I care less and less about the national team. I used to criticise the rags for prioritising club over country, but have to admit I can see why now that I can watch my club playing better than England can. Plus, years ago we weren't exposed to the players as much - I find it impossible to cheer on the likes of Rooney, Terry and Camel Gob.

Would you say you care less about the England team now than you did when we were wallowing in the second/third tiers of English football?

My feelings exactly.

England? A country where kids play on muddy, sloping, wrongly sized pitches; have no shower facilities and often nowhere to get changed. Are coached by dads that haven't a clue about the game. If you were to visit Germany, Holland, France, Spain or even Greece, you'd see that all have far, FAR better facilities than our kids. So many of the Premier League clubs are coached by foreigners, our academies our full of foreigners, where are all the local lads? Home grown nowadays, doesn't necessarily mean they're british. Then there's our F.A. that thought it would make a difference to hire a Swede, then realised it was a mistake, so thought they'd go for the best choice brit of the day, namely Steve Maclaren (I rest my case). Then after realising again that brit managers are useless, they employed an Italian and made him highest paid of all managers, only to find that, he's no good either, so then go back to brit and take on best choice brit of the day Royston; who loves to play 4,4,2. The mind boggles. It's so frustrating being an English football fan and until serious fookin changes are made, it's club before country, all the way for me.

Long-term, I do care about England, but I've found it very difficult to give a shit about them recently. Nothing to do with City, just because they're so dull.

hallstreetblue said:
England? A country where kids play on muddy, sloping, wrongly sized pitches; have no shower facilities and often nowhere to get changed. Are coached by dads that haven't a clue about the game. If you were to visit Germany, Holland, France, Spain or even Greece, you'd see that all have far, FAR better facilities than our kids. So many of the Premier League clubs are coached by foreigners, our academies our full of foreigners, where are all the local lads? Home grown nowadays, doesn't necessarily mean they're british. Then there's our F.A. that thought it would make a difference to hire a Swede, then realised it was a mistake, so thought they'd go for the best choice brit of the day, namely Steve Maclaren (I rest my case). Then after realising again that brit managers are useless, they employed an Italian and made him highest paid of all managers, only to find that, he's no good either, so then go back to brit and take on best choice brit of the day Royston; who loves to play 4,4,2. The mind boggles. It's so frustrating being an English football fan and until serious fookin changes are made, it's club before country, all the way for me.

Pretty much spot on.

I'd also add that the FA are more interested in making money. The farce that was Wembley is what did it for me. England doesn't need a national stadium and the money wasted on it could have been spent on improving facilites for kids and training better programmes to ensure we have better coaches for the kids.
Some of it could even have gone to lower league clubs to help improve their stadia and youth setup etc.

Added to this you get players being picked because of the club they play for and not really on merit, which for a period stank of marketing by the FA and helped breed a sense of entitlement with the players.....I personaly would like to see the B team games come back with players being given the chance to pull on the England shirt with a bit of pride and show passion and also that they can push these 'golden generation' of stars for a place in the first team.

Why not give the likes of Nolan, Lambert or Holt a chance to pull on the shirt as a reward for a successful season. It's only a meaningless friendly after all....But they are not household names with the armchair/day tripper brigade so tickets wont be sold and advertisement wont be bought so we'll just get the same old shite.

I used to get excited about tournaments but I gave up after south africa they were a complete shower of shite from the first kick in the tournament after doing so well qualifying after that I'm not bothered I even forgot they were on tonight

I support them both, obviously would rather city win things than England but i really dont understand why anyone wouldnt support there national team. Says alot about this country really, the Irish tonight showed us how it should be.

PaleBlue said:
Back in the day (90-98) when City were fairly poor, and England half decent I would have said I was firmly an England fan. As the years have passed, I find I care less and less about the national team. I used to criticise the rags for prioritising club over country, but have to admit I can see why now that I can watch my club playing better than England can. Plus, years ago we weren't exposed to the players as much - I find it impossible to cheer on the likes of Rooney, Terry and Camel Gob.

Would you say you care less about the England team now than you did when we were wallowing in the second/third tiers of English football?
I think the current squad are generally a load of cunts. I didn't think that when we were shit. The 2 are not directly correlated. What is probably more of a factor is I've become older, and see the England team for what they are and probably always have been, overrated by their countrymen and others. Trappatoni said after today's match we are the 4th best team in the world. Really?? Really really???? We're not. I could name at least 20 national teams who could beat us.

We were "saving Danny Welshit for Brazil tonight" apparently, that says it all. Difference maker my arse, you undercover rags bookmark this for if he scores a tap in won't you.

All that said, I still watched the match...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.