England Squad - Euro 2024

Sorry I went to bed, but here is my 6

Trafford - Dunk - Quansah - Jones - Eze - Toney -

Then it's a toss up between , Branthwaite - Guehi - Konsa -Mainoo - Wharton

Looking at the makeup of the squad, and putting players in their actual positions I think he'll look to cut 2 defenders, 2 "central midfielders" and 2 forwards. Trafford will be cut.

It's all guesswork at this stage, but I would guess:

Trafford-Quansah-Dunk-Wharton-Jones-Maddison-Bowen/Watkins

Quansah - one for the future but Branthwaite ahead of him
Dunk - old, not experienced, not versatile, doesn't keep clean sheets and was shite when he last played for England
Wharton - inexperienced and hasn't quite had the time to rightfully take the spot from Mainoo
Jones - a surprise call up and probably misses out
Maddison - not versatile enough and plays in a position we're stacked in with more versatile, and better players
Bowen - Saka and Palmer ahead of him, but he is a bit more direct and a goal threat...and he's scored the winner in a final which is a lot more than most of the squad
Watkins - a plan B but under a manager who wants to stick to plan A. Doesn't take penalties and Toney will replace Kane if injured. Needing a goal late on and he's much more likely to put one of the wide players on so leaning towards him missing the cut over Bowen.

Looking at the makeup of the squad, and putting players in their actual positions I think he'll look to cut 2 defenders, 2 "central midfielders" and 2 forwards. Trafford will be cut.

It's all guesswork at this stage, but I would guess:

Trafford-Quansah-Dunk-Wharton-Jones-Maddison-Bowen/Watkins

Quansah - one for the future but Branthwaite ahead of him
Dunk - old, not experienced, not versatile, doesn't keep clean sheets and was shite when he last played for England
Wharton - inexperienced and hasn't quite had the time to rightfully take the spot from Mainoo
Jones - a surprise call up and probably misses out
Maddison - not versatile enough and plays in a position we're stacked in with more versatile, and better players
Bowen - Saka and Palmer ahead of him, but he is a bit more direct and a goal threat...and he's scored the winner in a final which is a lot more than most of the squad
Watkins - a plan B but under a manager who wants to stick to plan A. Doesn't take penalties and Toney will replace Kane if injured. Needing a goal late on and he's much more likely to put one of the wide players on so leaning towards him missing the cut over Bowen.

Yea good arguments to be made for your omissions there, Bowen is a tricky one though, at least he will have a run at defenders, Watkins and Toney is hard one to call, like I said I'd plump for Watkins, just.

So Eze goes for you then yea?

Yea good arguments to be made for your omissions there, Bowen is a tricky one though, at least he will have a run at defenders, Watkins and Toney is hard one to call, like I said I'd plump for Watkins, just.

So Eze goes for you then yea?

For me yes. I think it's between him and Maddison and Southgate might go the other way though. I look at it from a position of having different options to win games, so Watkins should go. But I think Southgate takes a negative view of, what happens if X is injured and what would my team look like then, and wants to try and play the same way. Toney was better than Watkins in the friendlies and I don't think he takes three strikers.

I think when he pencils his options in each position it's Foden, Gordon, Grealish/Eze on the left. Saka, Palmer, Bowen on the right. Bellingham, Foden, Palmer, Maddison in the 10. Maddison can't play anywhere else effectively, so Eze gets the nod for me particularly as he can create something from nothing. But Maddison came on and setup Bellingham against Belgium so might get the nod.

Grealish goes because ultimately these are players down the pecking order who will be on the bench for most of the time and Jack is a proper character who will boost morale.

So Waistcoat has his nucleus of players that will start regardless and everyone of them can bring a mate to play darts, ride inflatables in the pool, protect them when they get nicked for being pissed/fighting.

It's the only conclusion I can come to for Maddison being there.

Southgate could have the Brazilian 1970 squad at his disposal and he'd fuck it all up.

Bellingham has only 3 caps less than Phil
Rice has 20 more
Rashford has double

Lauded as the best player of his generation and he still gets other picked over him for what you could guess at as spite.

Bellingham has only 3 caps less than Phil
Rice has 20 more
Rashford has double

Lauded as the best player of his generation and he still gets other picked over him for what you could guess at as spite.

Who is getting picked over him exactly?!

He plays with Bellingham and Rice and Rashford has often played with him as well. Their caps reflect the length of time they've been in the England setup. Rashford made his debut over 4 years before Foden and isn't in this squad. Rice made his debut 18 months earlier and Bellingham's debut was a couple of months later. So actually they're pretty reflective of where they should be.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.