England Squad - Euro 2024

Watch waistcoat bench Phil on Sunday in place of national treasure Jude Bellingham. I think he'll go: Pickford, Walker, Stones?, Dunk, Shaw, Rice, Mainoo, Bellingham, Saka, Eze, Kane

Watch waistcoat bench Phil on Sunday in place of national treasure Jude Bellingham. I think he'll go: Pickford, Walker, Stones?, Dunk, Shaw, Rice, Mainoo, Bellingham, Saka, Eze, Kane
Yeah, I think Foden has the same mindset as much of the fringe players - they never know whether there's gonna be a meedya splash that hails their age, compares them over-favourably with the sport's best mixed with Southgate's ambivalence to the obvious. The less he plays the greater the chance of him starting pre-season injury-free.

All of them picked Foden, but not one of them has him in a central role.

A couple have (might have been updated since you posted) but I don't know if that's based on their own view or influenced by what they think Southgate will do.

I'm torn on it. I'd personally try to make Rice-Bellingham-Foden work. It certainly can against weaker opposition and would be worth trying to gel through the group stage. But I do worry that against the better opposition the balance wouldn't be there. The majority of international sides have a DM and a more box to box player alongside them.

I worry for Foden because he's inevitably going to end up left and whilst he'll be given the freedom to drift, with Trippier at LB we're not going to have any natural width and it's going to end up too cramped for space in the middle. Then Gordon will come on, beat his full back for pace and everyone will start wanting Phil out the side! Southgate has to play Phil centrally in the group and when Shaw's back and we're up against better opposition he can still do a job from the left, even if he's not as effective there.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.