England Squad - Euro 2024

we're short in defensive/centre mid role.

we have an abundance of brilliant attacking wingers. not hard to get.
I actually admire your tenacity. For a bloke that has never actually witnessed an England team win anything, you sure are tubthumping for them.
Maybe you are correct, only time will tell. But, from experience waistcoat doesn't strike me as somebody I would pin my hopes upon for one second.
The team has done well recently despite him, not because of him. He stopped us winning the euros at Wembley by his inaction and meek disposition.
Same will happen here.
P.s. I would take Grealish over Gordon without a 2nd thought.

I actually admire your tenacity. For a bloke that has never actually witnessed an England team win anything, you sure are tubthumping for them.
Maybe you are correct, only time will tell. But, from experience waistcoat doesn't strike me as somebody I would pin my hopes upon for one second.
The team has done well recently despite him, not because of him. He stopped us winning the euros at Wembley by his inaction and meek disposition.
Same will happen here.
P.s. I would take Grealish over Gordon without a 2nd thought.

I don't think we'll win the Euros. Iv'e never predicted we'll win a major.

'done well despite him, not because of him' is a tired cliche when fans dislike the manager so much they can't give him any praise - and yet as soon as that team loses it's solely down to the manager.

ps- grealish/gordon, meh, don't care.

I don't think we'll win the Euros. Iv'e never predicted we'll win a major.

'done well despite him, not because of him' is a tired cliche when fans dislike the manager so much they can't give him any praise - and yet as soon as that team loses it's solely down to the manager.

ps- grealish/gordon, meh, don't care.
Southgate didn't get the job off merit. He got the job because the current England manager (Fat Sam.... Good grief!!!!) got caught taking bungs!!!
So, there is number one.
Number two... As the England youth team coach he won fuck all, and didn't look like winning anything. He was a panic appointment that ticked boxes for the under fire fa. He was available to manage the senior men's team before Fat Sam, but lost out to Fat Sam. Let that sink in.
Three. He has no history of winning anything as a coach.
Four. He had chances as a coach and player to be the difference maker and everytime came up short.
Five. He wasn't that great a player (not absolutely crucial, but it helps).
Six. He has psychological scars from tournament failure and that rubs off on the squad and strategies.
Seven. Everytime he has come up against a team we are not favourites to beat, he loses. On some occasions, we get beat by teams we are strongly expected to beat.
Eight. He plays players out of position or out of form or injured. Then flip flops over things said previously to get players into the team that go against this principle (Shaw, slabhead, anyone?).
Nine. He doesn't play to his squads strengths. Never has done. Because of his fear of failure. Always defensive. We now have an attacking behemoth, let's see how he nullifies that and defends rather than attacking.
Ten. Follow on from nine... he is very impressionable, the dailys generally pick his team for him (mainoo, taa, anyone?)
Eleven. He would not make it as a league coach. He is not good enough (this is up for debate, but 1 to 10 above tell me I'm right)
Twelve. In the 2020 final he started with a back 5 and 2 holders. Plan started perfectly with an early goal. I was then begging him to push a player into midfield to nullify the obvious attacking response from Italy. But, no. He did not cement the lead and battle for the middle. He dropped them back and played hoofball. That is his default setting. Italy took control of midfield as they were a man up in there and they then ran the game. This, by the way, is a facsimile of every England tournament defeat. Defend a lead, or defend a draw, looking for hoof balls. Get overpowered in midfield and lose. Remind you of France, or Croatia?
Thirteen... alexander-arnold... Good grief!!! Tells you everything you want to know about Southgate. Shoehorn him into the team, pretending he is being progressive, when it's just another defender in a midfielders clothes. What is this boy known for? Hoofing long balls. Maybe Southgate is clever. He gets his 7th defender on the pitch and everyone thinks he's breaking the mould. And the papers will laud him for it.

Listed above is the recipe for the usual tournament Disappointment. I've seen it before, so many times. It's like watching the same shit movie over and over.

I will leave you with a Greek saying i have modified to suit you...
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.... it is the sme when you are stupid deluded"

Come on, England! ;)

Last edited:
Southgate didn't get the job off merit. He got the job because the current England manager (Fat Sam.... Good grief!!!!) got caught taking bungs!!!
So, there is number one.
Number two... As the England youth team coach he won fuck all, and didn't look like winning anything. He was a panic appointment that ticked boxes for the under fire fa. He was available to manage the senior men's team before Fat Sam, but lost out to Fat Sam. Let that sink in.
Three. He has no history of winning anything as a coach.
Four. He had chances as a coach and player to be the difference maker and everytime came up short.
Five. He wasn't that great a player (not absolutely crucial, but it helps).
Six. He has psychological scars from tournament failure and that rubs off on the squad and strategies.
Seven. Everytime he has come up against a team we are not favourites to beat, he loses. On some occasions, we get beat by teams we are strongly expected to beat.
Eight. He plays players out of position or out of form or injured. Then flip flops over things said previously to get players into the team that go against this principle (Shaw, slabhead, anyone?).
Nine. He doesn't play to his squads strengths. Never has done. Because of his fear of failure. Always defensive. We now have an attacking behemoth, let's see how he nullifies that and defends rather than attacking.
Ten. Follow on from nine... he is very impressionable, the dailys generally pick his team for him (mainoo, taa, anyone?)
Eleven. He would not make it as a league coach. He is not good enough (this is up for debate, but 1 to 10 above tell me I'm right)
Twelve. In the 2020 final he started with a back 5 and 2 holders. Plan started perfectly with an early goal. I was then begging him to push a player into midfield to nullify the obvious attacking response from Italy. But, no. He did not cement the lead and battle for the middle. He dropped them back and played hoofball. That is his default setting. Italy took control of midfield as they were a man up in there and they then ran the game. This, by the way, is a facsimile of every England tournament defeat. Defend a lead, or defend a draw, looking for hoof balls. Get overpowered in midfield and lose. Remind you of France, or Croatia?
Thirteen... alexander-arnold... Good grief!!! Tells you everything you want to know about Southgate. Shoehorn him into the team, pretending he is being progressive, when it's just another defender in a midfielders clothes. What is this boy known for? Hoofing long balls. Maybe Southgate is clever. He gets his 7th defender on the pitch and everyone thinks he's breaking the mould. And the papers will laud him for it.

Listed above is the recipe for the usual tournament Disappointment. I've seen it before, so many times. It's like watching the same shit movie over and over.

I will leave you with a Greek saying i have modified to suit you...
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.... it is the sme when you are stupid deluded"

Come on, England! ;)

1-4 irrelevant. Sven and Capello won countless trophies all over the world when the FA appointed them - what difference did it make ? Neither took England as far as Southgate has. Many teams and countries have appointed Managers with little managerial careers and it’s worked out.

5. Irrelevant. Was Pep, Mourinho, Alex Ferguson , Wenger great players ?

6. How do you define failure? Solely because we haven’t won a trophy under him? He’s achieved getting England further than anyone since 66, I’d class that as success.

7. In knock out matches we have played 3 top ten sides.

Denmark, who we beat.

Italy, who we drew with the lost on pens.

France, who we lost to despite playing very well.

That is it. So the constant ‘we’ll lose when we play someone good’ is yet another tired cliche.

8. I thought it was nailed on that Henderson was going to be picked? And where is ‘Slabhead’ ? Where’s Rashford?
Sure you can find someone to be outraged with selection for any England manager and class them as a ‘FA yes man’

9. He’ll likely play 2 holding players, 3 attacking mids behind striker. That’s not a defensive set up. Looking at our defence I personally would prefer a manager to be pragmatic and not leak goals.
Very easy sat on the sofa and just shout ‘why don’t we just go for it’ though if you’re a bit dense.

10. Oh no, how dare he picks players from a rival club I don’t like. So tiring. If he picks any of your own teams players you give him zero criticism yet you’ll cite domestic opposition players to go at him for. It’s embarrassing how some are so tribal for their own clubs that they can’t acknowledge other teams players being selected. No doubt Man Utd, Liverpool fans would moan and whinge that he selects the odd City players. Put tribal bollox away and just support whoever’s wearing the England shirt.
I detest Spurs- Do I whinge and cry that he’s picked many spurs players over the years? Nope. Couldn’t care less. Zero bitterness when Kane has provided so many goals for us.
Why not give just a tiny bit of praise that he has always selected one of the youngest squads/teams at every major tournament? That he gives chances to young kids and players on form?
You really think any future England manager is going to please with a squad selection?

11. Let’s see after this tournament. He’ll be wanting to be snapped up by many teams.

12. Love how you skip all the way to the final as if it’s nothing. The only manager since 66 to take us to a final. What was so wrong about his tactics leading us to the final ?
Had we won a 50/50 penalty shoot out would you still be harping on about tactics. All very easy in hindsight.
Do you not think the nature of the game of football sometimes especially in finals is that when a team is winning the other team presses and goes for it more. That’s not always tactics - that’s just the way it goes.

13. We get it , you don’t rate him. But most managers, pundits and analysts would rate him as one of our best players, he’s range of passing, vision, set pieces make him a very dangerous player. I personally like him in that midfield role from what I’ve seen. It’s exciting to have him in the middle. His shooting ability also is a major threat and he can be a match winner. We’ve seen that many times for Liverpool. Defensively I’d rather Walker for sure.

14. All said and done it’s Southgates last tournament- he’ll leave with his head held high, one of the highest win% of any England manager, taking us to Semi and Finals of major tournaments and built cohesion moulding young squads.
No manager will ever please. It’s a poison chalice being England manager.
Very easy to pick holes and whinge and moan about certain players and tactics. I’d rather be supportive, get behind whoever the manager is and especially the young lads who more often that not in this era do us proud.
C’Mon England!

1-4 irrelevant. Sven and Capello won countless trophies all over the world when the FA appointed them - what difference did it make ? Neither took England as far as Southgate has. Many teams and countries have appointed Managers with little managerial careers and it’s worked out.

5. Irrelevant. Was Pep, Mourinho, Alex Ferguson , Wenger great players ?

6. How do you define failure? Solely because we haven’t won a trophy under him? He’s achieved getting England further than anyone since 66, I’d class that as success.

7. In knock out matches we have played 3 top ten sides.

Denmark, who we beat.

Italy, who we drew with the lost on pens.

France, who we lost to despite playing very well.

That is it. So the constant ‘we’ll lose when we play someone good’ is yet another tired cliche.

8. I thought it was nailed on that Henderson was going to be picked? And where is ‘Slabhead’ ? Where’s Rashford?
Sure you can find someone to be outraged with selection for any England manager and class them as a ‘FA yes man’

9. He’ll likely play 2 holding players, 3 attacking mids behind striker. That’s not a defensive set up. Looking at our defence I personally would prefer a manager to be pragmatic and not leak goals.
Very easy sat on the sofa and just shout ‘why don’t we just go for it’ though if you’re a bit dense.

10. Oh no, how dare he picks players from a rival club I don’t like. So tiring. If he picks any of your own teams players you give him zero criticism yet you’ll cite domestic opposition players to go at him for. It’s embarrassing how some are so tribal for their own clubs that they can’t acknowledge other teams players being selected. No doubt Man Utd, Liverpool fans would moan and whinge that he selects the odd City players. Put tribal bollox away and just support whoever’s wearing the England shirt.
I detest Spurs- Do I whinge and cry that he’s picked many spurs players over the years? Nope. Couldn’t care less. Zero bitterness when Kane has provided so many goals for us.
Why not give just a tiny bit of praise that he has always selected one of the youngest squads/teams at every major tournament? That he gives chances to young kids and players on form?
You really think any future England manager is going to please with a squad selection?

11. Let’s see after this tournament. He’ll be wanting to be snapped up by many teams.

12. Love how you skip all the way to the final as if it’s nothing. The only manager since 66 to take us to a final. What was so wrong about his tactics leading us to the final ?
Had we won a 50/50 penalty shoot out would you still be harping on about tactics. All very easy in hindsight.
Do you not think the nature of the game of football sometimes especially in finals is that when a team is winning the other team presses and goes for it more. That’s not always tactics - that’s just the way it goes.

13. We get it , you don’t rate him. But most managers, pundits and analysts would rate him as one of our best players, he’s range of passing, vision, set pieces make him a very dangerous player. I personally like him in that midfield role from what I’ve seen. It’s exciting to have him in the middle. His shooting ability also is a major threat and he can be a match winner. We’ve seen that many times for Liverpool. Defensively I’d rather Walker for sure.

14. All said and done it’s Southgates last tournament- he’ll leave with his head held high, one of the highest win% of any England manager, taking us to Semi and Finals of major tournaments and built cohesion moulding young squads.
No manager will ever please. It’s a poison chalice being England manager.
Very easy to pick holes and whinge and moan about certain players and tactics. I’d rather be supportive, get behind whoever the manager is and especially the young lads who more often that not in this era do us proud.
C’Mon England!
You automatically assume that player A does that well for his club so he'll do it well for England. Doesn't work like that. Building a winning team is based on a common style of play. With understanding of the playing patterns of their team mates.
Lobbing 11 great players in their position doesn't mean jack shit if you don't have that understanding.
Southgate is a long ball man. That's his default setting. He's a hoof it forward and take no risks type.
He's playing players who work on the risk and reward style mostly these days, but when the pressure is on he will have them go long.
They will be OK against most lower teams, but any team with a pass and move mentality will play around us. And when that happens the whole plan rests on the right hoof foot of Pickford and Dunk.

P.s. your response to my irrelevant clichés is so riddled with clichés I'm not even going to pull them out. Too much work involved.

Good day, sir!

I've just realised that Connor fucking Gallgher is going to Germany, and Grealish stays at home.
Waistcoat is a fucking imbecile.
He's a terrified imbecile. He will go safety first at the expense of creativity and then shore up his 'safety first' with another layer of safety. Despite Johnny and Kyle at the heart of defence and Phil (if he starts) pulling the strings the rest of the starters are those he thinks can 'do a job'! They can do a job - mowing the grass, painting the lines, stickin' the corner flags in!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.