England Starting XI at Euros

I think the team is hard to pick in a lot of places.

On form I'd say the players that deserve to play the most are: Butland, Smalling, Drinkwater, Barkley, Alli and Vardy.

Shaw was having a good season before his injury. Kane has been good but has dipped off from his form last season.

Then I'd say it's a scramble for places.

Probably

Heaton, Jones, Borthwick-Jackson, Smallthing, Blackett, Carrick, Cleverley, Romeo Beckham, Chadwick, Shrek, Frazier Campbell

4-3-1-2

Hart

Clyne
Stones
Smalling
Bertrand

Henderson
Wilshere
Alli

Sterling

Kane
Rooney (c)

4-3-3 / 4-2-3-1:

Hart

Clyne
Stones
Smalling
Bertrand

Dier
Alli
Barkley

Sterling
Walcott
Vardy

Kane, Rooney, Wilshere, Lallana, Milner, Cahill and Forster on the bench. Hodgson will probably start Rooney behind Vardy or Kane (which is a toss-up) but this is the team based on form.

Tom Heaton, Shaw (if fit), Delph, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Sturridge making up the rest of the 23. 3 goalkeepers, seven defenders (including Dier as a CB), eight midfielders and four strikers.

It's our quickest and most technical team in a while but Hodgson's tactics don't stimulate good passing, ball retention etc so expecting us to get dumped out in the quarter-finals. We'll only be competitive in the World Cup and Euros with a new manager who plays positive football like Pochettino or Pellegrini. But the FA will probably crap on our 2018 chances by either keeping Hodgson (whose good relationship with media distracts from how badly we've done in the past three tournaments) or giving the job to Gary Neville.

Last edited:
Hart
Clyne Smalling Cahill Rose
Dier Drinkwater
Sterling Alli Lingard
Kane

Young, tenacious and fast.

The main thing for me is to go for form players who work hard, but also have quality to deliver in important moments.

There's no way I'd have put Rose, Drinkwater, Dier, Alli or Lingard in before this season. However I think they're our best bets at the minute.

You could argue that Vardy should be in there too, but Kane is more of an all rounder.

Hart
Clyne Smalling Cahill Rose
Dier Drinkwater
Sterling Alli Lingard
Kane

Young, tenacious and fast.

The main thing for me is to go for form players who work hard, but also have quality to deliver in important moments.

There's no way I'd have put Rose, Drinkwater, Dier, Alli or Lingard in before this season. However I think they're our best bets at the minute.

You could argue that Vardy should be in there too, but Kane is more of an all rounder.
I haven't seen a lot of united this season but when i have i haven't ever been overly impressed with Lingard. I'd actually prefer to see Welbeck start ahead of Lingard, but other than that i like that team a lot.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.