England Thread 13/14

MC ID

I didn't see a place for general discussion of the national team and I figured it's about time we had one.

Busy in here isn't it? If only there was a game coming up soon we could get excited about .....

Does anyone really care?
The international games are now the equivalent of the FA Cup. They're a rather unwelcome interruption to what really matters - club football, be it PL, Championship or whatever.
That's because genuine football fans grew up following a club, not the fortunes of a gang of players who are cobbled together from all over. The England team sometimes includes players I have barely heard of. The other home countries, most of them are completely unknown to me.
I do not see how fans get excited/depressed/ecstatic about the national side, except those jingoistic xenophobes who would cheer on England at an international dwarf-tossing championship, just to get one over on those dastardly foreigners.
Of course I want England to do well in the World Cup. But how could all that replicate what I felt when Sergio scored THAT goal, or a hundred other magic moments of the club I have loved all my life?

Big Swifty said:
Does anyone really care?
The international games are now the equivalent of the FA Cup. They're a rather unwelcome interruption to what really matters - club football, be it PL, Championship or whatever.
That's because genuine football fans grew up following a club, not the fortunes of a gang of players who are cobbled together from all over. The England team sometimes includes players I have barely heard of. The other home countries, most of them are completely unknown to me.
I do not see how fans get excited/depressed/ecstatic about the national side, except those jingoistic xenophobes who would cheer on England at an international dwarf-tossing championship, just to get one over on those dastardly foreigners.
Of course I want England to do well in the World Cup. But how could all that replicate what I felt when Sergio scored THAT goal, or a hundred other magic moments of the club I have loved all my life?

Couldn't be further from the mark as far as I'm concerned.

I love the FA Cup!

Yes, I love the Cup too. But what I meant is how the FA Cup is perceived by the media and by certain clubs too. It comes low on their list of priorities, players get rested, other things engage their attention.
I accept your point about the Cup, cos it's a club competition, and when Yaya scored v Stoke in 2011 my euphoria was exceeded only by Sergio a year later.
But I still maintain that the PL AND the FA Cup mean far more to me than some crappy international - England games were once the highlights of the season. Not now.
Just as the Cup - which I love - was once the culmination of a season, but there are those who downplay it. I wasn't denigrating it myself.
OK?

halfcenturyup said:
Busy in here isn't it? If only there was a game coming up soon we could get excited about .....

I know, I've fucked up royal here ain't I...

Should of picked a more interesting moment than boring old England vs Germany.

Some serious arselicking on SSN. The German reporter hyping England up to fuck.

Ruhr said:
germany is playing a B side tomorrow. Useless match
Is the comedy frieberg keeper in goal?

Half the midfield injured and other rested. Engerland will win and be lauded as world champions.....

mat said:
Ruhr said:
germany is playing a B side tomorrow. Useless match
Is the comedy frieberg keeper in goal?

Half the midfield injured and other rested. Engerland will win and be lauded as world champions.....

Roman Weidenfeller from BVB is in goal. Neuer and Lahm are sent home to prepare for the Bayern-BVB match on saturday

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.