England v Germany | Euro 2020 Last 16

What will the result be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Maybe the tactics as much as the team - If we're going to play with 5 at the back, and 2 DMs then you need all the front 3 to be mobile.
Agree.

We need at least one of Foden/Grealish to be starting. Especially in the coming games where the likelihood is we'll be needing to breakdown teams who are going to sit back and defend for their lives.

When Grealish came on Sterling switched to the right and instantly he (and England) looked even more of a threat. That is something I've been calling for from the start.

I'd say Kane again suffered from team selection.

Once Grealish came on and there was someone with decent technical ability drifting into the middle and Kane's game got better. He was constantly dropping deep to collect the ball and try to start something, Grealish took on that creative responsibility allowing Kane to get himself into more dangerous positions.

Saka is a good young player but was the wrong type of player for the formation. Grealish/Foden should have started ahead of him.

Never mind that, we won, we decent performances all round.

We'll be clear favourites for the next games and the pressure will be on us to play to win them.
I semi agree but Kane was making poor choices all night. His goal demonstrated what he should have been doing all tournament. On one occasion Hummels cleared a ball from behind him when all Kane had to do was step to his left and block Hummels. In a couple of other moments he was too passive and not attacking balls. At times it looks like he's avoiding being involved and he doesn't seem confident in his own physicality - perhaps he's just tired or carrying a niggle. I want to see him more aggressive in his duels with defenders but also his running and movement around the box.

Also when are people going to stop chatting rubbish about Raheem. He's scored 3/4 of all of Englands goals but then being asked if he's justified his selection. My goodness if he's not first name on the team sheet something is terribly wrong.

Disappointed not to see Foden but due to people mouthing off in the media he's an easy player to leave out. Have a bad feeling he's going to be odd man out in many England games to come.

Walker and Stones were very good.

On a side note the first 10 minutes of this game made me appreciate Rhodri's ability. We were desperate to have a player hold onto the ball when there are semi hacked clearances out of defence. Need one of Rice or Phillips if they are playing the holding role to be a little further up the pitch. It frustrates the life out of me to see the ball constantly being recycled by the opposition whilst we just get deeper and deeper.

That game was exactly like our win in the Bernabeu in 2020.

The outcome has someone justified the selection because of the changes that were made In the game as it was not working,

In that game, the game changed with Sterling’s introduction on 73 mins, dropping KDB deeper and moving Jesus from the left to centre forward. We scored two and should have had a third. We gave far too much respect to the name of Real Madrid who were average and no match to ourselves.

Today was the same, Grealish should have started from the start, as should have Foden. This was a very poor German side who we provided too much respect to the name with our set up and without Grealish’s introduction, that game would have gone to penalties.

Yet somehow it was a masterclass from Southgate as it was from Pep because on both occasions the end result was the win.

England will get to the final but it won’t be pretty and if we come up against a decent outfit in Italy or Belgium, we won’t win. Our best chance of overcoming a decent side like them two is by playing Foden, Grealish and Mount. No other country would have them three on the bench in a knockout game. No other club side would choose Rashford ahead of Sancho to come on as an impact sub.

Im on the bandwagon though and it’s coming home like every two years!

There are a few but anyone who wants Sterling out of our club is twisted
Of course there’s a more subtle option that there are some who think we could upgrade in his position/utilise funds elsewhere and that this is a decision that needs to be taken now given the length of contract he has left.

“Wanting him out of the club” is a bit more dramatic and less nuanced.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.