England v Germany | Euro 2020 Last 16

What will the result be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The problem for Pep is he hasn't had the players at City to implement it himself. We've never had natural options at both left and right wing-back at the same time, and never had three central defenders who are good enough at bringing the ball out until this past season
That's true, I would have thought when we bought Cancelo, than he and Mendy would work, but Mendy's constant injuries meant we rarely seen this, plus his down form.

That being said, Pep has cleverly himself transitioned to a back 3 with Cancelo/Zinchenko playing inverted going from 4141 to 3241, and using wingers instead of wingbacks.

The problem we have had with this is that it isn't "natural", because then if we get countered, Cancelo has to go from inside to outside to get back to position. A default 3 atb is more seemless when defending, although there is ALOT of merit to Pep's approach in using "wingers" instead of "wingbacks" that I like.

Perhaps a more natural way to preserve "wingers" over "wingbacks" is for Pep to play Rodri as a CB with Dias, and Stones and Laporte as fullbacks, in a 451. Then when we pin the opposition back, Rodri pushes forward to join the midfield, to make a 3151, seems more logical to have Rodri slot back, then Cancelo slot back when comparing.

anybody seeing that line up must be laughing there bollocks off at southgate
at home (wembley) vs a very poor german side and we wave the white flag hahahahahaha

southgate or mike bassett i think mike would be a better option

They're even saying it in the build up, Germany's back 5 isn't a back 5, Kimmich and Gosens are essentially midfielders.

Ours 'wingbacks' are defenders which makes ours a back 5, far too defensive, too worried about what they're doing.
Saka or Chilwell should have started lwb if he has to play that system, both miles better going forward than shaw.

Attack against defence training session with that line up, hope I'm wrong but not expecting anything from this.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.