England v Slovenia - Tue 25th June, 20:00 | Euro 2024 Group C

Match Result Prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Southgate's tenure with England is like an elongated 8 year version of Ole Golum's 2 years with the rags.

Golum year 1 - Team running on happy times & vibes, uniting all the supporters together.

Golum year 2 - What are the tactics? The strategy? The plan?

Altogether, Booooo!

lsdRJaW.gif

I don't think they necessarily dislike each other - they always seemed to get along okay in previous camps, and it's okay to be closer to some people than others, that happens in any group of people.

If performances aren't quite gelling, that can highlight divisions that wouldn't be a problem if everything was going great. I think there's also been probably too much turnover from previous squads and they've lost some of the players that keep the social aspect fun and friendly. We all know what Grealish brings to a dressing room, but there's also the likes of Maguire and Henderson who are well-liked and respected as sensible, calm heads, Maddison and Mount both seem popular, everyone knows and seems to like Rashford, Sterling etc.

You can't select your squad solely on social dynamics and I'm by no means suggesting that all those players should have gone to the tournament. But if you clear out a bunch of players who are experienced and liked and get on with everyone - and who are vocal and able to talk about disappointments without alienating anyone, and encourage honesty and unity, not to mention enjoying the tournament, amongst the squad - then you lose a lot of value.

Bringing in a load of players who are talented and have had a good season but have previously been peripheral to the England senior set-up would, I imagine, add a bit of quiet and tentativeness to the squad. And there's not many actively welcoming personalities to help bond them all together.
Agree on the importance of social dynamics. And I think it’s why small nations can often over perform at tournaments.

The point is, from the layman (non)observer's perspective, is that the stats give you more of a picture if you haven't watched the game.

It's also a more useful tool to highlight individual/team specific analysis ie Darwin Nunez gets lots of easy chances and regularly misses them ...etc.
If you haven't watched the game surely what matters is the number of actual goals scored. This is widely known as the result.
And does anybody really need a statistician to prove to them that Nunez is a rubbish striker.

I don't think they necessarily dislike each other - they always seemed to get along okay in previous camps, and it's okay to be closer to some people than others, that happens in any group of people.

If performances aren't quite gelling, that can highlight divisions that wouldn't be a problem if everything was going great. I think there's also been probably too much turnover from previous squads and they've lost some of the players that keep the social aspect fun and friendly. We all know what Grealish brings to a dressing room, but there's also the likes of Maguire and Henderson who are well-liked and respected as sensible, calm heads, Maddison and Mount both seem popular, everyone knows and seems to like Rashford, Sterling etc.

You can't select your squad solely on social dynamics and I'm by no means suggesting that all those players should have gone to the tournament. But if you clear out a bunch of players who are experienced and liked and get on with everyone - and who are vocal and able to talk about disappointments without alienating anyone, and encourage honesty and unity, not to mention enjoying the tournament, amongst the squad - then you lose a lot of value.

Bringing in a load of players who are talented and have had a good season but have previously been peripheral to the England senior set-up would, I imagine, add a bit of quiet and tentativeness to the squad. And there's not many actively welcoming personalities to help bond them all together.

Two things I noticed of late.

Before the game Kane and Pickford mentioned that we're "not going to panic" multiple times in their interviews.

During the game, players were getting annoyed at each other, throwing their arms up in the air in frustration.

It felt like Corporal Jones running around shouting "Don't panic!" And doing exactly that.

And yes, I am a FOC.

Two things I noticed of late.

Before the game Kane and Pickford mentioned that we're "not going to panic" multiple times in their interviews.

During the game, players were getting annoyed at each other, throwing their arms up in the air in frustration.

It felt like Corporal Jones running around shouting "Don't panic!" And doing exactly that.

And yes, I am a FOC.

Pickford is a proper stress head anyway. I don't think I could play with him for 90 minutes without nailing him with a haymaker.

not my words this //

We all need to BELIEVE. Believe that the lads are just warming up, finding their feet and believe that they have more gears to go through. It’s this belief that make us England fans, and its this belief that makes us the best fans in the world.

We are never underdogs. We are never beaten. We always believe.

What we must appreciate about Southgate and this generation of England players, is they are being conditioned not to lose. Not losing matches is what International, tournament football is about. And it was in 2014, as then England U21s Manager, that he spear-headed this new philosophy for English Football.

Too many times we headed into tournaments with a gung-ho approach, trying to out score teams and rely purely on our aggressive, high tempo English style. And it does not work in the modern, tournament game -well it certainly hadn’t worked for England in previous tournaments, and successive failed Managers like Sven and Fabio Capello, could not adopt a style that was successful.

The England DNA, created by Southgate over 10 years ago, has seen us winners of the U21s Championship in 2023, for the first time since 1984, winners of the U19s European Championships in 2017 and 2022; winners of the FIFA U17s World Cup in 2017; and of course Gareth has led the National Team to the World Cup Semi-Final in 2018, Quarter-Finals in 2022, and Runners-Up in the Euros in 2021.

Every fan sees things differently, and would pick a different starting XI to the next person. But whatever can be said, we still have a great squad, and a great chance of going one step further this summer…lifting the Euros

Gotta love jingoistic anthems....

If you haven't watched the game surely what matters is the number of actual goals scored. This is widely known as the result.
And does anybody really need a statistician to prove to them that Nunez is a rubbish striker.
Scouts will frequently use data like this and it’s no different to the wheels people post in the transfer forum to show progressive passing etc.

Some people don’t need stats other than the result and a pair of eyes, but most people won’t watch every game and so a quick glance at the stats will give you an overview as to what has happened.

One thing Southgate's not done badly, is he's helped make us hard to beat.

That would be fine if we had a massive keeper ready for the probable penalty shootouts that might come along. It would be a strength to play to.

But I'm just taken back to seeing little Jordan fking Pickford in comparison to bloody massive Donnarumma before the last Euros finals. No surprise our players shit it when seeing him fill the goal!

Probably Netherlands next, if we get past them we'll have Switzerland or Italy after, and I know what I'd be expecting to happen.

We need to win games, not just try and avoid losing them.

Last edited:
Some people might be interested in the match but be unable to watch. They may have more of an interest than just wanting to know the result and want the info in as short a set of information as possible??

I get where you're coming from but you're fighting a losing battle if you ever think there are going to be less stats in the future of football. Probably best to just embrace it as the new shots on target or possession stats, or maybe simply ignore it.

But, you can't tell me that if you just read that the result was 2-1 against reading that the result was 2-1 with xGs of 0.1 and 3.7 you don't get a better picture of the match. Helps people understand form for betting (us) and performance (them) at the very least.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.