England v Slovenia - Tue 25th June, 20:00 | Euro 2024 Group C

Match Result Prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There was jubilation about dropping players like Sterling, Grealish, Rashford, Phillips and Henderson because they were in the wilderness but they were reliable for Southgate's system. Even when they were naff for their respective clubs they still performed for England.

Had he stuck with his five at the back and the same old faces, I suspect we'd be looking better in the lead up the knockouts, now I doubt we'll even make the quarters.

I think in the end he caved to the media/fan pressure and gave everyone what they wanted. Foden, Bellingham, Rice, TAA all on the same pitch and it's actually gone backwards.
I agree he should’ve gone 3/5 at the back. Ironically though that would be the way to fit said players in

Trippier at left back doesn’t work offensively, he never once overlapped Foden to make space for him and instead took a touch and passed it inside to him closing all the space he had. Phil did well to create what he did with that going on.
I thought he was shite defensively too. Not his fault as not his position. I’d go to a back three.

Looking at our bench sometimes and all the glum, uninterested, un-invested faces. Doesn't seem like a happy camp.
Why would they be happy???
We'd qualified yet the waistcoat stuck with what he had - last night was an ideal chance to try the likes of Palmer, Gordon even Mainoo from the off to see what changed.
10 of the 11 who started last night will start the remaining game(s) - rest might as well have stayed home

I think it’s one of the better stats and a far better indicator than say shots on target which could be 10 shots from the half straight at the keeper and none of them testing him. Xg tells you how at least how a team is doing in regards to creating goal scoring chances.

That being said, I don’t need stats to know England are shit and southgate doesn’t having a fucking clue what he’s doing.
Surely if you are watching the game you can see how many shots have been on target. Why do you need a statistician to explain what you have just seen?

Surely if you are watching the game you can see how many shots have been on target. Why do you need a statistician to explain what you have just seen?
The point is, from the layman (non)observer's perspective, is that the stats give you more of a picture if you haven't watched the game.

It's also a more useful tool to highlight individual/team specific analysis ie Darwin Nunez gets lots of easy chances and regularly misses them ...etc.

There was jubilation about dropping players like Sterling, Grealish, Rashford, Phillips and Henderson because they were in the wilderness but they were reliable for Southgate's system. Even when they were naff for their respective clubs they still performed for England.

Had he stuck with his five at the back and the same old faces, I suspect we'd be looking better in the lead up the knockouts, now I doubt we'll even make the quarters.

I think in the end he caved to the media/fan pressure and gave everyone what they wanted. Foden, Bellingham, Rice, TAA all on the same pitch and it's actually gone backwards.
Yep. He's clumped all the Galacticos together without a thought about whether they actually gel, it seems.

And I'm afraid it's about time we had some decent opposition in a Group stage because more often than not we get an easy route through to the knock out stages and it brings out the worst in us.

I'm getting to the point where I would rather see us get exposed by serious opposition early on than limp through like this.

Not saying its rigged but we always seem to get draws designed to keep us in the competition for as long as possible - as if the powers that be know we have star power and a good story but aren't good enough to get to the latter stages without a downhill ride.

I genuinely don't know what Southgate's doing with them in training. Their fitness doesn't look great and their tactics look non-existent.

One of the pundits last night (I think it might have been Neville) got it right when he said there's no established patterns of play, everyone is receiving the ball then having to decide what to do with it, rather than being in a rhythm where they know where everyone else is expected to be and what their options are before they get the ball.

Any excuse you can think of for this - the players have had a long season and are exhausted, the manager doesn't get to work with the players very often - can also be applied to all the other teams, but many of them are managing much better.

Take Austria yesterday. With all due respect to them, they don't have quite the same level of quality throughout the team as the Netherlands (or we) do. But they have a very clear plan, identity, way of playing, and that led to an exciting match that they won to lead the group, and they'll be going into the round of 16 on a high, with a feeling of momentum and togetherness.

Togetherness is one of the few positive things Southgate has brought to the England set-up, and that seems to be running dry of late.
Exactly, what’s the actual plan during games? To me it seems like we keep it tight and hope for a bit of magic, a set piece or a mistake. It makes sense given Southgate’s background and record but it’s turgid

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.