England v Switzerland - Sat 6th July, 17:00 | Euro 2024 Quarter-Final

Match Result Prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm sure I heard a stat that Pickford has booted it long in this tournament more than any England keeper since the 1940s in a tournament

Madness isn't it, you see non-league sides over here managing to play out from the back successfully these days. But not England...

Madness isn't it, you see non-league sides over here managing to play out from the back successfully these days. But not England...
I'd say he's been instructed to do it, but I've no idea...There's clearly no real discipline or authority going on in the camp, that's for sure....

Apparently England are instructed to press, but only Foden bothers, the rest ignore instructions. So maybe Pickford is another just ignoring instructions and deciding to play long. He is a Dyche player at the end of the day, so you know what you're getting when picking him.

Pickford as a goalie doesn't bother me, he's ok enough for the most part. Someone just needs to tell him that he has the likes of John Stones near him, you don't need to boot it long.

I'd say he's been instructed to do it, but I've no idea...There's clearly no real discipline or authority going on in the camp, that's for sure....

Apparently England are instructed to press, but only Foden bothers, the rest ignore instructions. So maybe Pickford is another just ignoring instructions and deciding to play long. He is a Dyche player at the end of the day, so you know what you're getting when picking him.

Pickford as a goalie doesn't bother me, he's ok enough for the most part. Someone just needs to tell him that he has the likes of John Stones near him, you don't need to boot it long.

I think there's an element of fear in why he does it, and also the fact he's played that way all season for Everton and adapting his game takes a bit of time too. I think he's been slightly better as things have gone on. There were times against Slovakia he completely ignored Mainoo which I think was through a lack of trust, and against Denmark before that his whole body shape was just "get rid" mode unhelpfully.

I thought it was better, particularly against a well organised Swiss team playing with confidence.

However, there are still serious issues to address, which I expect Southgate will ignore.

Kane continually dropping deeper, and then deeper again can't be helping the team. Trippier (not many options) is hindering the balance.

Might as well drop Foden(I thought he played well first half) He appears frustrated and it just isn't happening for him. I don't think Phil and Bellingham can play those roles together and he isn't dropping Bellingham.

The press - well, it's just a bit of a mess. Sometimes we do, often we don't. Some press while others amble around, then it just stops altogether. Foden seems to be the only one who does it regularly and with purpose.

We only seem to be able to play well going forward for a few minutes at a time - there's rarely sustained pressure where you feel the opposition will cave in.

Still, it's something to build on. Some positives, but much bigger improvement required from Gareth if we want to progress and ultimately win it. Feels like we are still being bailed out by rare moments of individual brilliance.
The biggest problem is the lack of chances created during the games, it's seems almost impossible when you have kane foden bellend saka Palmer Gordon Toney and Watkins in your squad. We are doing a Greece at the moment. Tad embarrassing tbh.

Last edited:
I'm sure I heard a stat that Pickford has booted it long in this tournament more than any England keeper since the 1940s in a tournament
I think the players in front of him are just as much, if not more, responsible.

The midfield and "front 3" are largely static, making the defenders less than willing to take possession, leaving Pickford with limited options.

But it is woefully backward for a so-called modern, progressive international side.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.