EPL?? its the prem!!

People can call it what they want and at the end of the day its not that big a deal but 'EPL' and 'soccer' have to be two of the most ridiculous and annoying words ever used on this site and I believe we should all make a concerted effort to banish them to the depths of football hell.(Just my humble opinion you understand!)

One of my pet hates too. Prem or Premier League OK but EPL a big no no. Sounds like people who take a passing interest. Its like calling City, Man City, City is all we need, after all there's only one City.

I can't believe all this debate.

If you are not a new-sky, happy clappy, post Euro 96 football fan, then there is only one term.

It's "The League".

That's it.

Anything else means you are a puff.

I Hate people calling it EPL as well. Just americanises it. Was thinking though, and whats the difference between that, and us calling the scottish league the SPL?

And, btw, its the premiership!

blueyorkie said:
One of my pet hates too. Prem or Premier League OK but EPL a big no no. Sounds like people who take a passing interest. Its like calling City, Man City, City is all we need, after all there's only one City.

It could be worst. They could call the rags 'Manchester'. Now that is something that really gets my back up!

blueyorkie said:
Oh and its Football not Soccer, never has been, never will be!

We've had this argument before; if you were of my generation (65+) and ever in a rugby league area kids referred to RL as football and Assoc Football as soccer; as Bluemoon115 says, soccer is just as much an English word as football.

it's a modern phenomenon to pretend soccer is an Americanism. Me? I'll continue to use both terms interchangeably on here even if it upsets the teenage thought police.:0)

Kinkysboots said:
People can call it what they want and at the end of the day its not that big a deal but 'EPL' and 'soccer' have to be two of the most ridiculous and annoying words ever used on this site and I believe we should all make a concerted effort to banish them to the depths of football hell.(Just my humble opinion you understand!)

apparently "soccer" is derived from "association football" (taking the "soc" out of association) which was the original name for the football league set up way back when the schools unified the game and invented the rules, creating the beginnings of the game we love today. this was the nickname used by the schools.
So "soccer" is perhaps not an americanism, and has more credence than you might think.

oh and strictly speaking its E.P.L. not EPL

And it is most definitely, 100%, always was and always will be a chuffing BARM!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.