Eric Garcia to Barcelona

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if Garcia wants to go then Tosin will become the 4th CB, IF we can move Stones and Ota on whilst bringing in two replacements.
I'm sure that would suit Tosin and in 12 months time THB will hopefully have kicked on in is development.

As fourth choice CB he will still get games, even without injuries to the others. He has actually been ahead of schedule, due to lack of trust in Ota and Stones, since the restart and would not have been expected to play so regularly next year if O & S had been playing as well as they did 2 seasons ago. At his stage, he can't really expect to be one of the first choice starters at a club like City or Barca.

However, a fourth choice CB will have more chances to play than say a second choice goalie as the others need to be rested at times and the chances of injuries to at least one, and sometimes two, of the others is significant. Also, given our patchy record of CB purchases over the years, there is sadly also a reasonable chance that one or both of the new CB that we purchase may not perform as we'd like. Garcia knows that Pepe trusts him and will play him if he doesn't trust either of the new guys. Meantime he continues to train with great players and get coached and developed by Pep. If I was him, I'd stay.

Just by way of comparison, this is how many minutes our central defenders managed in the league last year, playing in those positions:

Garcia 788
Otamendi 1,710
Stones 1,118
Laporte 1,104
Fernandinho 2,200

If we have four central defenders and used those minutes equally, then players would expect around 1,730 minutes each. I know that is unlikely as we'll probably use Koulibaly and Laporte more together in the bigger league matches and CL; Ake and Garcia would probably start in more cup competitions but also feature in league games, too.

The odd one will be Fernandinho. He was the most reliable of the central defenders last year, but I presume he'll be happy to ease himself out into retirement.

By way of comparison, Foden managed 327 league minutes in season 18/19 and 892 league minutes last season, so Garcia is already ahead in that sense. I appreciate that the seasons and circumstances are different.

If Garcia's up for the challenge and wants to stay, then I reckon he may get the game time here over the next 3-4 years. If he simply wants to return home and try his luck there, then Barcelona should pony up.

MIC Cup 2013 winners with Barca's Alevín A (U12) team - Ansu, Kubo & Capità Garcia pictured

EeLEdOgWoAAgdg2

Garcia is not the finished article, but then neither is Foden. You can't have a team of complete players. There always need to be room for young and developing players, and Garcia is just that. He is still a quality defender; skilful and pacey. With a little bit more awareness and confidence (which will come with game time) he can be World class.

Why would we ever want to let him go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.