Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.
the transfer fee will not dictate where he ends up - the wages will, which is why I don’t think we’ll get him.

Because we don't pay big wages? Are we not among the top of the highest wage bill clubs, I forget where exactly we sit in that table as it doesn't seem to have beem thrown in our faces for a while.

The potential release of Raheem, plus the loss of Sergio and David Silva freed up a fair bit of wages.

Dortmund might accept a bigger fee in January but why would that suit Haaland, he either wants to join a certain club or he doesn't?

Whichever club he has his mind set on, he only needs to wait another five months to realise the move and extra cash he can ask for.

My point is City don't need to get involved in an auction if the player decides that's where he is going.

He saves the club £50m and both City and Haaland would use that saving to improve his overall package.

Haaland isn't leaving in January, all common sense dictates.

The player is now in the box seat, not Dortmund, not the buying club.

That is sound logic, however what is being argued here is that he wouldn't 'save' his buying club 50m by waiting till the summer, but instead wait to pocket it himself. Something I don't buy myself, cynicism for the sake of it.

It's the whole, if he costs 150m now, he'll still cost 150m next summer even with a release clause at half that, because his agent will want the difference for themselves arguement. But why would any club not prepared to pay 150m for him then go and pay 150m for him.

edit, not by the poster you replied to I should add btw.

Which would explain why attention shifted to Kane, who was presumed would cost less, eventhough it was obvious he wouldn't.

There were a few links with Haaland early on, then Dortmund set their stall, then they stopped, and Kane links started. Many read we were never in for him anyway, Kane was always the one. Some thought it was a play to test Dortmund's resolve before trying to push their demand down. The truth is probably in the middle, but with Dortmund sticking to it, with Chelsea too supposedly, and Kane half-suggesting doing his bit, it probably became a clearer choice. Still the difference was way too far apart.

You are right, we were never going to entertain 150m.

But the goalposts will have shifted for next summer, either way, particularly if the release clause part is indeed true.

Yeah it’s the way I see it.

The potential release of Raheem, plus the loss of Sergio and David Silva freed up a fair bit of wages.
The recent contract extensions probably take good care of most of that to be fair.

Pep, Dias, Stones, Ederson, Foden all new and improved deals and I would imagine Grealish is on tasty money.

Which would explain why attention shifted to Kane, who was presumed would cost less, eventhough it was obvious he wouldn't.

There were a few links with Haaland early on, then Dortmund set their stall, then they stopped, and Kane links started. Many read we were never in for him anyway, Kane was always the one. Some thought it was a play to test Dortmund's resolve before trying to push their demand down. The truth is probably in the middle, but with Dortmund sticking to it, with Chelsea too supposedly, and Kane half-suggesting doing his bit, it probably became a clearer choice. Still the difference was way too far apart.

You are right, we were never going to entertain 150m.

But the goalposts will have shifted for next summer, either way, particularly if the release clause part is indeed true.
I was always under the impression that Dortmund, who are a well run club, wouldn't see both Sancho and Haaland in the same window, and the latter simply wasn't for sale last year short of an absurd price that no one would pay given everyone - player, selling club, agent - knows he is on the market from January.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.