Etihad Atmosphere - 2021/22

Still find it crazy we kick away from our most vocal support in the second half and let the away team kick toward there fans in the second half! Shooting toward the south stand in the second half would make a big difference in my opinion
I understand that we want to kick towards the vocal fans first half but what I've never ever understood is why the opposition always (I remember once in the last 5 years) choose the opposite way. I've never been able to get my head around it. Or is it that opposition teams always choose to kick off these days?

I understand that we want to kick towards the vocal fans first half but what I've never ever understood is why the opposition always (I remember once in the last 5 years) choose the opposite way. I've never been able to get my head around it. Or is it that opposition teams always choose to kick off these days?
I'm sure that pretty much all teams want to kick towards their travelling support / most vocal end in the second half and have done for as long as there has been segregation. The problem we have is that if even if the players wanted to kick towards the South Stand in the second half we, at best, would only do so 50% of the time because of the location of the away fans.

It's all a legacy of the redevelopment of Maine Road and the seating plan from the old ground being transposed in the new.

The mistake we made was in 2003 when we moved. Season ticket holders in the Plat Lane and North Stand at Maine Road should have been brought together in the North Stand at the Ethiad with the family stand moved into 118 and 119 in the South Stand. The club should have been clear that they want a single end for our most vocal supporters - perhaps going so far as not selling season tickets immediately next to the away seating.

I'm sure that pretty much all teams want to kick towards their travelling support / most vocal end in the second half and have done for as long as there has been segregation. The problem we have is that if even if the players wanted to kick towards the South Stand in the second half we, at best, would only do so 50% of the time because of the location of the away fans.

It's all a legacy of the redevelopment of Maine Road and the seating plan from the old ground being transposed in the new.

The mistake we made was in 2003 when we moved. Season ticket holders in the Plat Lane and North Stand at Maine Road should have been brought together in the North Stand at the Ethiad with the family stand moved into 118 and 119 in the South Stand. The club should have been clear that they want a single end for our most vocal supporters - perhaps going so far as not selling season tickets immediately next to the away seating.
Your last point is the root cause of most of our atmosphere problems.

I would have though teams wanted to kick towards their fans in the first half. Games are usuakly won pschologically by half time.

Although I want standing back at football, I don’t think this will make any difference personally in its current format. The main difference with modern stadiums and traditional terracing is you are allocated a seat/space. A group can’t just decide to go and stand together, have a drink and a laugh etc. The likelihood is that would be sat in different areas. Unless they make it un allocated standing I can’t see how it will make a difference unfortunately.
Unallocated seating in the standing areas would be brilliant for atmosphere. You can arrive with as a group up for a good time or meet like minded fans without being separated by those not singing. Surely if you have a membership scheme then these days security will be still able to pick out those who misbehave and identify them, especially with all the cameras and technology.

Although I want standing back at football, I don’t think this will make any difference personally in its current format. The main difference with modern stadiums and traditional terracing is you are allocated a seat/space. A group can’t just decide to go and stand together, have a drink and a laugh etc. The likelihood is that would be sat in different areas. Unless they make it un allocated standing I can’t see how it will make a difference unfortunately.
My season ticket is in the standing section, but not the south stand, and I think standing noticeably improves the noise and camaraderie around you. It won't get the Kippax back, but both working class culture and football has changed so much I don't think any change in the ground will get that back, but it does make a noticeable improvement. I'm in the last block before the seating starts and you can literally see songs hit a brick wall when it gets to those in the seats. Don't know if it's acoustics or crowd psychology or something else, but it's quite interesting to see.

No blue tinted specs here mate if I thought it was shit I'd say so. All I could hear almost all game was our fans singing and it sounded great

I've been at games where the singing and atmosphere where I was sounded great, come home and heard people slagging it off who weren't at the game. All about perception I guess.
Good point, I was at the Leipzig game (sat behind goal in 2nd tier in South Stand) thought the atmosphere was okay that night, other people didn't ,but obviously depends where you are sat!
Went to lots of away games 80s/90s, sounded really good i the away section at the game, watched highlights on MOTD/Big Match etc and it sounded quiet.
Certainly not the best, but one of the better ones i remember at the Etihad was the Watford Cup game in 2014.
We were awful first half ,2:0 down. Pellers brought on Zaba and Komps , crowd obviously thought 'we're up against it here', changed the game and the atmosphere. We won 4:2 with a Sergio hatrick.

Admittedly i watched the game on the box but I thought our support sounded brilliant that day, loud and constant all game.
I've not missed an Old Trafford derby for over 25 years. That was one of the worst away atmospheres I can remember in all that time. We weren't totally shit but there were way too many quiet spells for my liking. I've only watched the first half back and while you can hear us on plenty of occasions, there's also a lot of noise from their singing section so maybe you were getting some of our atmosphere mixed up with theirs. I would add that outside of their singing section, United's support in the rest of the stadium was dog shit.

I’m sure it’s been said before but I do find it strange that the away fans and our main singing section are right next to each other. I sit in the East Stand, level one, near the half way line. To my left, in tge corner, are the away fans and beyond them, behind the goal, is our singing section. At quite a few games it seems the away fans (eg Leipzig, PSG,West Ham) drown out the home fans. This may just be because they are closer to me. Wouldnt it make more sense to have the away fans in a different part of the ground ?

I’m sure it’s been said before but I do find it strange that the away fans and our main singing section are right next to each other. I sit in the East Stand, level one, near the half way line. To my left, in tge corner, are the away fans and beyond them, behind the goal, is our singing section. At quite a few games it seems the away fans (eg Leipzig, PSG,West Ham) drown out the home fans. This may just be because they are closer to me. Wouldnt it make more sense to have the away fans in a different part of the ground ?
Leipzig ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.