Etihad Atmosphere - 2021/22

Sometimes I feel that Pep plays into the media narrative way too much, Like a 15 year old kid on twitter chatting shit about us.

He has done this time and again and I always felt that he has this need to manage a club where from media to referees to football pundits constantly big upping him and that certain club.
Otherwise he wouldn't whine so much.

Look at his time at Barcelona. Having the best club team of all time with the GOAT as all in sundry go wax lyrical about him and the entire league is there to service Barcelona including that **** Tebas. He loved that.

His time in Bayern where again he would have the entire league at his disposal plus a crazy fan base of locals and tourists similar to Barcelona. He wants Lewa - he gets it. He wants Gotze he wants Kimmich. No problem!

At City there are 8 clubs vying for your blood. The media hates you. There is FFP and what not. You can't get Kane even if you need it. Thats why we see him needlessly commenting on the Grealish fee or how he will spend another billion and then this atmosphere rhetoric.

SOmetimes he is too egoistic for his own good.

I'd argue the atmosphere is also being impacted because it is the 'locals' who are now feeling disenfranchised?

A local must always traipse across Manchester in the height of rush hour, a local can take it or leave it, a local is invariably a little less affluent than someone making a rare/special occasion visit for a Champions League game?

I am a 'local' and, finances, not withstanding, the number of hurdles which legitimately exist just in terms of midweek attendance, for this 47-year-old, anyway, has me a deepening sense of, "They don't care about me and I won't be missed".

Can't blame day-trippers and kids, they are turning up in big numbers and making it a 'treat', they don't have any shared hard yards, leave the atmosphere responsibilities to the regulars, hoping to just spend £200 in the club shop and sit back and be entertained.

Too many people concerned about 'optics', or should I say the last rod to beat us over the head with, considering how successful we are as a team.

Pep is dropping the ball a little too much for my liking and also had to walk back his naive recent comments in Brazil about quitting at the end of the two-years left on his deal.

For him to feed into the lazy narrative again with regards fans staying away is extremely poor from him.

His lack of self-awareness and from the club in general with regards our fanbase, the considerations many also have with Covid, perhaps further highlights a huge, current disconnect.

There is an ignorance about Pep and the Catalan executives which I feel takes people like me for granted?

I've never felt further away from the club as I have this summer. My dad is ready to call it a day after 60 years, my brothers are taking or leaving it.

If I didn't have my two kids, I'd probably knock it all on the head and come and watch a couple of games a season, taking the rest in on the box.

What really angers me is that City fans are having to defend themselves because of comments like those from the manager.

"The players will be tired, Southampton are a tough team, more fans..."

The players are fucking tired? We have supporters who have lost jobs, businesses, grandparents too uncomfortable to return of late, being told to come to grips with a ticketing roll out which is beyond comical.

I don't give a fuck what other clubs get, there were 38,000 Blues who parted with their hard-earned last night and they'll do for me.

Sadly, not for Pep and the people who are being paid enough money to know better.

Tell you what, City. Make every ticket £20 across the board for every game and you would have to build a stadium twice the size of the Etihad to accommodate every person.

They aren't going to do that, though, as money will always be the bottom line, so accept the type of fans we have, or fuck off.

I could not agree more.

Confession time from me... I haven't been to a game yet this season and I'm not sure I'll ever go back. I've resold my ST games via the XChange so far.

As TH says, there are just too many things which make it difficult to go any more, and thats before I think about if I want to be in a large crowd of people where a significant proportion of that crowd will be covid spreaders.

And our willingness to accept defeat to the rags in recent seasons is totally unaccaptable to me but Pep and the current players don't seem to have much of a problem with it.

I'm pretty certain its the end of the line for me after over 25 years.

Maybe Aguero going, the last of the generation of players that got us to where we are now is a factor. I don't feel the same way about most of this current group.

Fully expect the usual insults, plastic etc but I'm giving an honest opinion.

I was upset by Pep as I knew what was coming after his words. I thought the attendance was reasonable. A number of people who sit near me for the premier league games pick and choose cup games. It's a cost, work and transport hassle thing. Some are diehards, but there's a fair few getting older like me who would turn up for stupid meaningless midweek games when we were younger who are more picky. It's not cheap any more, transport issues worse and I'm less agreeable to late nights. It's on telly as well. That's OK if we had more younger fans or day trippers clamouring for my seat. And if we didn't have to live with these jibes off rivals who hardly ever set foot in a stadium themselves. I enjoyed the football yesterday, we have a great team, the youth team are terrific as well. Things are good, looking forward to Saturday, why do I need to consider what idiot opposition fans think? Maybe, as people have said he was trying to rally the troupes for a more vocal support on Saturday but it kind of backfired.

I'd argue the atmosphere is also being impacted because it is the 'locals' who are now feeling disenfranchised?

A local must always traipse across Manchester in the height of rush hour, a local can take it or leave it, a local is invariably a little less affluent than someone making a rare/special occasion visit for a Champions League game?

I am a 'local' and, finances, not withstanding, the number of hurdles which legitimately exist just in terms of midweek attendance, for this 47-year-old, anyway, has me a deepening sense of, "They don't care about me and I won't be missed".

Can't blame day-trippers and kids, they are turning up in big numbers and making it a 'treat', they don't have any shared hard yards, leave the atmosphere responsibilities to the regulars, hoping to just spend £200 in the club shop and sit back and be entertained.

Too many people concerned about 'optics', or should I say the last rod to beat us over the head with, considering how successful we are as a team.

Pep is dropping the ball a little too much for my liking and also had to walk back his naive recent comments in Brazil about quitting at the end of the two-years left on his deal.

For him to feed into the lazy narrative again with regards fans staying away is extremely poor from him.

His lack of self-awareness and from the club in general with regards our fanbase, the considerations many also have with Covid, perhaps further highlights a huge, current disconnect.

There is an ignorance about Pep and the Catalan executives which I feel takes people like me for granted?

I've never felt further away from the club as I have this summer. My dad is ready to call it a day after 60 years, my brothers are taking or leaving it.

If I didn't have my two kids, I'd probably knock it all on the head and come and watch a couple of games a season, taking the rest in on the box.

What really angers me is that City fans are having to defend themselves because of comments like those from the manager.

"The players will be tired, Southampton are a tough team, more fans..."

The players are fucking tired? We have supporters who have lost jobs, businesses, grandparents too uncomfortable to return of late, being told to come to grips with a ticketing roll out which is beyond comical.

I don't give a fuck what other clubs get, there were 38,000 Blues who parted with their hard-earned last night and they'll do for me.

Sadly, not for Pep and the people who are being paid enough money to know better.

Tell you what, City. Make every ticket £20 across the board for every game and you would have to build a stadium twice the size of the Etihad to accommodate every person.

They aren't going to do that, though, as money will always be the bottom line, so accept the type of fans we have, or fuck off.

Fans have changed. It felt like in the old days I was the only southern/manc accent in the crowd !. Now its accents from all over the world.

In the last few seasons I have been surrounded by away fans, tourists, and lots of kids from clubs who spent the whole match running around.

This are the reasons I wont be attending as many matches. I pay over £50 or more for a ticket, all I want is to be surrounded by City mad fans. To spend over £100 per match ( food travelling etc ) and over 12hrs travelling is it to much to ask to be around fellow City fans ?.

We always try and get in the South Stand, but not always possible in fact we arent even sitting next together for the Everton game. Not sure if we are next to my lad on Saturday cant remember, but so many tickets are for a seat on there own.

Like you say lots of people are struggling with the pandemic and everything associated with that. Going to football is getting out of the working class fans.

Just noticed the commenter calling our ground The City of Manchester Stadium. Isnt City+ an on house production ? If so surely they should know the name of our stadium.
Or arent we allowed to say the Etihad Stadium in the champions league ?
It's CL regulations mate as ground sponsors haven't tipped any money up to UEFA.

One of the best and most accurate posts I've ever read on here. You are absolutely spot on and nobody with even the smallest amount of common sense could disagree.

Long thought Guardiola should have hired someone British to be on his the coaching staff who could also do more of the media work, which he evidently loathes, much in the way that Platt helped Mancini out. I thought Craig Bellamy would have been a good choice, as he is both intelligent and eloquent, and having worked in the media he knows both sides of the coin.
It's a good idea. A lot of it gets lost in translation. Guarantee the next presser where one of the journo's quizzes Pep about calling out the fans he'll get all arsey a deny that's what he said. Like when he gets asked about him saying he was leaving in two years

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.