Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha!

Though I understand where you're coming from...this stadium is another level...when I was pissing on the cobbles in my youth I would have never EVER imagined where we would be today...If you even stop and think about it...it blows your head off
I first set foot in Maine Rd in 1960 aged 4 and it was so much part of my life from then on that I have never got the angst of leaving the old dump out of my system, don't get me wrong the Etihad IS magnificent and I hope the new changes to it improve the atmosphere but I doubt it, I despair at modern day stadiums, they are soulless

I first set foot in Maine Rd in 1960 aged 4 and it was so much part of my life from then on that I have never got the angst of leaving the old dump out of my system, don't get me wrong the Etihad IS magnificent and I hope the new changes to it improve the atmosphere but I doubt it, I despair at modern day stadiums, they are soulless

Yeah, we needed to move as Maine Road simply wasn't up to the standard required of a modern stadium, and there wasn't the space, or the financing at the time, to expand or improve it. The Commonwealth Games, and the new stadium, came along at the perfect time for City (and contributed hugely to our current situation, I firmly believe there's no way ADUG would have purchased City if we'd still been in Moss Side at Maine Road. The stadium, it's surrounding area, and the vast potential for expansion were huge factors in City being the club of choice for ADUG). Having said all of that there's still something sterile and soulless about The Etihad, probably a common issue with modern stadia. It's probably also an issue that, over time, will dissipate. As those with fond memories of Maine Road pass on, and newer fans without those attachments, come to the fore, the nostalgia will fade away until The Etihad is all that your average City fan has ever known. For me, I'll always remember my first experiences of Maine Road, as a child in the late 1980's with my dad watching a fairly poor City side lose in competitions todays fans will never have heard of (My first game was a Full Members Cup tie with Ipswich Town which, typically, we lost!).

I think the atmosphere is more to do with the fan demographic changing than anything...it's no longer the working class game we were used to...although you went to Maine road 13 years before I was born! (My first game was 81/82)

I think the introduction of the more middle class fan...the tourists...and all seating in stadiums have had a seriously detrimental effect on the match day experience...I'm just crossing my fingers that the new SS singing section will be a success and we can bring back a little intimidation into our home games

I think the atmosphere is more to do with the fan demographic changing than anything...it's no longer the working class game we were used to...although you went to Maine road 13 years before I was born! (My first game was 81/82)

I think the introduction of the more middle class fan...the tourists...and all seating in stadiums have had a seriously detrimental effect on the match day experience...I'm just crossing my fingers that the new SS singing section will be a success and we can bring back a little intimidation into our home games
Amen, hope it works

All we need to do is have a 1/2 price beer promotion for all outlets before the game and you will see the difference a few extra sozzled blues will make

If you or @jrb are still looking for larger versions of those pics then the Mirror article http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/pictures-manchester-citys-stadium-redevelopment-5948418 has 1841*1227 ones available if you open them in a new tab.

Edit: much better

qrSXEi6.jpg
God that's a hell of a ramp to the pitch if its not photo trickery

I could not resist........gives me goosebumps................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.