Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

They're the interface between Government and the electorate. Very little appears in their pages that's worth the paper it's written on. Except the ads. And this is somewhere between a report and an ad.

F***ing MUEN at it again.

I can’t express how much I loath it.

It’s nothing but a Rag, filled with murder stories, negative stories, pops up adds, and United stories.

I’m so glad City f***ed it off years ago.

It won’t happen sadly, but I’d love it to go bust.
The paper certainly takes a negative view of Manchester and makes a lot of bad judgement calls. It has been one of the worst performing newspapers in the UK for decades in a market which is in terminal decline. Its website is just trivial clickbait. It does not cover City or United well at all. Just the usual re-hashed garbage.
FFS the current Arena looks 25 years out of date. It is not a good venue and needs competition. If it stays it has to be upgraded.

I genuinely hope the arena on the Campus is a top notch concert venue - not an oversized concrete sports hall with seats - which is what effectively the MEN is. Somewhere with top notch acoustics could really attract a lot of good acts and make the extortionate prices being changed for gigs these days slightly better value.

Who actually owns the Arena?......was some dodgy deal done to sell it like The Millennium Dome?...... the only decent sounding gigs I have been to there were Billy Joel and Stevie Wonder, and that was because I was 2nd and 3rd rows directly next to speakers mounted on the stage. People go on about the Manchester Arena having a 20,000 capacity, for what events?.....maybe only Boxing? unless the seats are used behind the stage, think the capacity is 16k to 17k......for the majority the Arena has shite acoustics, so why not build a new and better Arena that Manchester can be proud of and say is a World Class venue.

I work there for Showsec and its 20k for likes of U2 when they were in the round, we had 17,500 for Mumford and Sons recently.

Any development is a dead duck, unless the issue of transport is fully addressed: The MEN arena sits atop a railway and tram station in the centre of town with good walking links to the centre.

The Etihad is 30 minutes walk from town and boasts an underserved tram stop with crappy road connections.

Any development is a dead duck, unless the issue of transport is fully addressed: The MEN arena sits atop a railway and tram station in the centre of town with good walking links to the centre.

The Etihad is 30 minutes walk from town and boasts an underserved tram stop with crappy road connections.

Last time I needed a tram from there, I bought a ticket then noted the message it was cancelled.

I genuinely hope the arena on the Campus is a top notch concert venue - not an oversized concrete sports hall with seats - which is what effectively the MEN is. Somewhere with top notch acoustics could really attract a lot of good acts and make the extortionate prices being changed for gigs these days slightly better value.
Check out the Glasgow SE Hydro. Thats a very good venue. Something like that would be excellent.

They should have thought about that when they built the Metrolink - direct competition for cars / buses. It's like the bus-lanes that impact negatively on the car drivers who lose a lane. The Metrolink takes spce from other uses and gets priority at the junctions.

As regards an Underground connecting Victoria to Piccadilly, who has used the mainline connection? I haven't once, and I use the train a lot. They spent £100 million and as far as I can see it's a complete white elephant. I might be wrong but I am just going off my own personal experience. I haven't seen any routes through Picadilly into Victoria so if that does not work, why would an Underground work. The City centre is just too small to make it worthwhile. If I was at Deansgate, and wanted to get to Piccadilly, I'd still walk. It takes me ten minutes to do that walking, and there's no way a Manchester tube system would have trains running every 5 minutes. It works in London because you can't get from London to Wembley on foot in ten minutes. Impractical for Manchester. The one possibility from Piccadilly to Victoria which made sense but they've done that overground now.

The idea that the Etihad needs a transport upgrade is nonsense. There are 60,000 people who go to the Etihad for concerts. No one ever mentions that as an issue, so the idea that a potential arena holding 20k at most needs a transport upgrade does not make any sense.

I think this arena talk is a bit over-done. For it to become a reality, someone is going to have to agree to operate it. I think we'd know about that now if it was close to happening.

Burnham should make his mind up, a few months back he was fan faring his outline to get trans running to Wigan and Stockport and a newer, better integrated transport system in regards to the metro link. Now he’s saying underground is the way forward, he is right so why is he potentially pissing away public money on overground transport when he doesn’t see it as a solution?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.