Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

At the moment 10s of thousands spend a couple of hours in the City centre before descending en masse at the ground. If there was something substantial at the ground in the way of pubs, places to eat etc it might actually improve the travel because you'd stagger the numbers of people who visit the ground over a longer time frame.

Is such a complex viable over one day per fortnight? I think any development at City needs an additional attraction like a concert venue to make bars, restaurants etc viable

Presumably something is in the planning stage. Hopefully a North stand ext gets included in an integral development. If that is the plan, then it will be a bigger exercise than the South stand ext.

I think you make a good point.. 2 examples is the spurs visual that someone has added above and wembley shopping complex at Wembley. Both are social hubs that will be close or part of the stadium that offer food, bars and transport.

At the Etihad...if city extend the North stand (btw love the large tier), why not extend it 100 yards or so from the back of the ground through city square, through the shop and right to the tram station.

Then on matchday you enter off the tram into a shopping complex-esque building, it is lined with entertainment, bars,ticket office, meet and greet, a massive city square stage, a club store and ultimately all under one roof - like an arcade or the food court in the Trafford centre. Then you can connect into the stadium via large entrances with streamlined airport style checks that can handle thousands in under 60 mins. I think connecting all these elements in one location would be brilliant and great for the club.

I think you make a good point.. 2 examples is the spurs visual that someone has added above and wembley shopping complex at Wembley. Both are social hubs that will be close or part of the stadium that offer food, bars and transport.

At the Etihad...if city extend the North stand (btw love the large tier), why not extend it 100 yards or so from the back of the ground through city square, through the shop and right to the tram station.

Then on matchday you enter off the tram into a shopping complex-esque building, it is lined with entertainment, bars,ticket office, meet and greet, a massive city square stage, a club store and ultimately all under one roof - like an arcade or the food court in the Trafford centre. Then you can connect into the stadium via large entrances with streamlined airport style checks that can handle thousands in under 60 mins. I think connecting all these elements in one location would be brilliant and great for the club.
Maybe something like Patriot Place next to the Gillette Stadium would be a good inspiration.

Maybe something like Patriot Place next to the Gillette Stadium would be a good inspiration.

Yeah totally, sport and social coming together. Im just surprised they havent amalgamated all the elements behind the north stand into one complex. I think its all a bit messy at the moment with the food stands, bar section, toilets, entrance to the station and tickets. I think the space could be better used plus the east car park is there so could build into that or add a multi story car park. You have people entering from there, mercer way, Asda and CFA. Stadiums are becoming social hubs around the world.

Not an expert but would a shopping centre have to compete on the many non match days as well with the city centre complex ?

Thanks. I think that relates to the ground as it is now, but I was thinking about a Manchester Arena type venue, and it has been mooted before.

I have heard a whisper about a mid range arena being built on the site and there was talk about potentially incorporating it into the North Stand.

I think there is a market for arena that is bigger than the Apollo and smaller than the MEN as Manchester doesn't seem to have one.

i dont think it would serve much purpose outside of Match day and doesnt really need to unless they wanted to offer an out of town shopping complex. The idea is simply just city related outlets, ticket office, city store, museum, interactive zones, food & drink. Out side of that im sure the area is dead 99% of the time other than the odd 50 people for a tour.

i dont think it would serve much purpose outside of Match day and doesnt really need to unless they wanted to offer an out of town shopping complex. The idea is simply just city related outlets, ticket office, city store, museum, interactive zones, food & drink. Out side of that im sure the area is dead 99% of the time other than the odd 50 people for a tour.
Not dead if the university campus goes ahead, as well as other attractions / arena used daily. The other attraction of a shopping park would be avoiding the city centre.

Not dead if the university campus goes ahead, as well as other attractions / arena used daily. The other attraction of a shopping park would be avoiding the city centre.

National and local planning policy is to support city/town centres. It's very difficult these days to get permission to build new shopping areas of any size well beyond already defined city/town centre boundaries.

National and local planning policy is to support city/town centres. It's very difficult these days to get permission to build new shopping areas of any size well beyond already defined city/town centre boundaries.
Yes, and it's a policy I agree with, but I'm sure there could be some sort of small retail part of the plans that provide something unique not the usual Next, Primark type retail park, and not just rely on 'City'. In fact on the consultation plan there is a shop part, which I assume is the club shop, and a retail part next to the Leisure part of the plan.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.