Eu workers over British.

Sign of the times. 3 different groups on 3 different contracts where I work now. Pay is €50k, €37k and €20k. Mostly all doing the same job. The majority of the lads on the bottom scale are Croatian or Polish and don't seem to mind. They all share rented accommodation and their costs are low they say. Bizarre :-(

I'll bite.

The majority of younger English workers these days are lacking in work ethic, they have higher levels of absence, are late more often and are less likely to stay late do over time than staff from Eastern Europe. This stuff matters in most unskilled job roles.

This isn't to say that all young English workers are lazy, sick notes who don't pick up extra hours there are some brilliant grafters out there - But on the whole when recruiting you have to look at the most cost effective option with the least risk of turn over as recruiting is fucking expensive.

And yes there are plenty of people from Eastern Europe who are lazy fuck wits but at the moment when hiring it is less of a risk taking someone from Eastern Europe.

How we as a country can fix this I don't know but the current generation younger English workers doesn't have the same work ethic of past generations.

I didn’t say anything about OT – I said that generally they are better presented and have a markedly better attitude and work ethic. That is a perfectly valid reason to give somebody a job!
Work ethic? Does this shine through on an application or in an interview? Sure you could ask 'how much OT is available?' in an interview but that could mean you're canny at getting jobs.

Experienced
Educated
Qualified
Willing
Reliable
Punctual
Flexible
Professional attitude
Don't expect to be paid for just turning up
Not on their phones every two minutes
What's not to like if you're an employer?

You do have to laugh at "our own", they're getting out competed by someone who has upped sticks and arrived in a foreign land with just their drive and ambition but still manage to get a job and support themselves, when UK career jobseekers spend eons on benefits baulking at the jobs that foreigners will just get on with, all the while blaming the "poles" for taking their jobs.
Survival of the fittest if you as me - or plenty of employers.

I think the answer is that your firm is looking to hire the best people it can and it would appear the best people in the view of your managers are not English. I have a friend who hires and fires retail staff and he takes on a significant number of Europeans, all things being equal he would take on English staff however the European candidates are generally better presented and have a markedly better attitude and work ethic.
Summed up perfectly

of course, but those who make the effort to travel 1000's of miles to work may have a little more 'get up and go' than the average
It's an interesting debate. Many come here for higher wages than back home to build a pot of cash before returning. They don't need to invest any of their earnings in expensive British property, because they already own a home in their native country, choosing to shack up in groups over here to reduce their outgoings. This means they can offer their services cheaper than a local candidate.

The problem is, we're creating our own benefit-based culture. By continually overlooking local workers, our communities are being slowly dismantled. Our youngsters are turning into devalued members of society. They turn up at interviews with no confidence of getting the job, or end up earning too little as they compete with the outsiders, and they lose interest in the work as they struggle to pay bills. Going back to benefits becomes appealing again, as they see friends and neighbours seemingly getting more for doing less.

The local candidate might cost more, and need more management to bring them up to standard, but the country will continue to struggle with high benefits bills if companies and government remain short sighted. If companies were forced to pay proper wages to local people and ensure the right proportion of candidates taken on were local by law, and received financial incentives for doing so, we'd stand a chance.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.