EURO 2012: Day 2 Matchday thread !

dref619 said:
i honestly cant work out how gomez scores so many goals. i'm all for these players who are immense in the box and shocking outside ( van nistleroy, inzaghi etc) but gomez doesnt seem to have the attributes that made these players great. his movement offers nothing, he feels abit static/ slow and as we saw against madrid and chelsea the boy can miss chances. im convinced edin would score tonnes at munich
But that's exactly what Gomez does do!!!

Actually he strikes me as being a similar sort of player to Dzeko. Both often give the impression of being inept, and both miss scores of chances, including quite easy ones. But then both can come up with a very good goal, often an important one, as Gomez did yesterday.

Who actually is the better player? I suspect it is Gomez, but there probably isn't much in it.

dref619 said:
i honestly cant work out how gomez scores so many goals. i'm all for these players who are immense in the box and shocking outside ( van nistleroy, inzaghi etc) but gomez doesnt seem to have the attributes that made these players great. his movement offers nothing, he feels abit static/ slow and as we saw against madrid and chelsea the boy can miss chances. im convinced edin would score tonnes at munich

Been trying to figure out how he does it for ages and after seeing him last night I think I finally got it. It has to be his off the ball movement combined with his physique and a sense for good positioning. Granted he doesn't move much that much but when he does he always seems to pose a threat. Sort of a Drogba/Müller hybrid with much worse technique.

Frank H said:
dref619 said:
But that's exactly what Gomez does do!!!

Actually he strikes me as being a similar sort of player to Dzeko. Both often give the impression of being inept, and both miss scores of chances, including quite easy ones. But then both can come up with a very good goal, often an important one, as Gomez did yesterday.

Who actually is the better player? I suspect it is Gomez, but there probably isn't much in it.

Posting my reply from another thread:

Problem with Gomez is that he needs a lot of support to get his goals, which shows at Bayern where he is spoon fed from Robben/Ribbery and Müller.... He is slow, technical limited and if you play Gomez you basically play with 10 playears instead of 11 as all he does is sit in the box and wait for his chance.

Klose is imho still a much better striker and I would even rate Reus higher as a striker, simply because they contribute more to the overall game and are not just poachers.

Bembeltown said:

Problem with Gomez is that he needs a lot of support to get his goals, which shows at Bayern where he is spoon fed from Robben/Ribbery and Müller.... He is slow, technical limited and if you play Gomez you basically play with 10 playears instead of 11 as all he does is sit in the box and wait for his chance.

Klose is imho still a much better striker and I would even rate Reus higher as a striker, simply because they contribute more to the overall game and are not just poachers.

Gotta disagree here. I've been watching some gomez footage to figure him out and come to accept that there's more to Gomez than just his finishing. Watch him occupying the space between the two CBs to close in on the one in possession while on the defensive. Great pressure he's building there and from time to time you'll find him tracking back all the way to the box to help out in defense. I can't seem to remeber the last time Dzeko or Tevez were that commited. So "sitting while waiting for his chance" doesn't describe his profile imho, though I've got to admit that he doesn't contribute to the overall game of the team, wether he's playing for bayern or germany. His technique is utter wank.

Klose and Reus are by far the better overall footballers but not the better strikers, for a striker's worth will always be measured by the number of goals he scores and rightfully so.

hideniton said:
Bembeltown said:

Gotta disagree here. I've been watching some gomez footage to figure him out and come to accept that there's more to Gomez than just his finishing. Watch him occupying the space between the two CBs to close in on the one in possession while on the defensive. Great pressure he's building there and from time to time you'll find him tracking back all the way to the box to help out in defense. I can't seem to remeber the last time Dzeko or Tevez were that commited. So "sitting while waiting for his chance" doesn't describe his profile imho, though I've got to admit that he doesn't contribute to the overall game of the team, wether he's playing for bayern or germany. His technique is utter wank.

Klose and Reus are by far the better overall footballers but not the better strikers, for a striker's worth will always be measured by the number of goals he scores and rightfully so.

No doubt that Gomez is an excellent striker...if he gets the service he needs (Feed the Gomez and he will score!).

However in my opionion we are less predictable with Klose as the striker. He links up really really well with Müller, Özil and Podolski, runs like a duracell bunny despite his age and is more "flexible" meaning that he can create chances for others as well.

Reus is technically brilliant and one of those players who can tear every defense in the world apart on a good day with his speed and dribblings.

Ideally Klose starts against our cheeseloving neighbours (no Euro thread is complete without stupid cliches), we beat them, knock them out and Löw can experiment a bit with Reus upfront versus Danmark.

Really would love to see how that works out...But after yesterday evening´s performance beating the dutch will already be a major task.

hideniton said:
Bembeltown said:

you mean carlos tevez who'll chase everything down and is one of the hardest working strikers on the planet?

you cant argue with the lads scoring record. it just baffles me, he isnt half the player of falcao/cavani imo, but his scoring record stands up with them. fair play to the lad like

dref619 said:

What a stupid post.

ban-mcfc said:
you mean carlos tevez who'll chase everything down and is one of the hardest working strikers on the planet?

Don't get me wrong. I won't doubt his workrate up front but I just can't seem to remember him tracking back all the way to our own box to help out at the back. And all his qualities aside I still think he's a twat, behaving the way he did cuple of months ago. Commitment shows in more than one way.

What I was trying to point out was that Gomez just sitting in the box all day long waiting for the ball to drop in front of his feet is somewhat of a fairy tale.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.