Euro Shambles

Shambles, the street was off Market Street, but not where Shambles Square is now. The whole buiding has been moved twice. First time for the Arndale being built. Then after the IRA bomb it was moved to where it is now, to rebuild the building M&S/Selfridges occupy now.
And the two pubs were always side by side in the past, not at right angles as now. Both THE tourist pubs in Manc.

Must go right back to when the town first started up, a Shambles was an area of a town where butchering took place - filthy, smelly, cluttered places - hence the expression "it's a shambles" being given when anything's in a mess.

Cheers lads. Interesting stuff, especially about the butchers, you could give Susie Dent a run for her money PaleBlue.

masterwig said:
Cheers lads. Interesting stuff, especially about the butchers, you could give Susie Dent a run for her money PaleBlue.

Cheers MW, York Shambles is quite famous, here's the official line from it's Wiki page:

"Shambles" is an obsolete term for an open-air slaughterhouse and meat market. There are streets named "The Shambles" in other UK towns (e.g., Worcester, Whitby, Sevenoaks, Chesterfield, Manchester), as well as in Ireland (Armagh). They also got their names from having been the sites on which butchers killed and dressed animals for consumption. The Shambles in Stroud still has the hinged wooden boards attached to the shops, and hosts a regular local market.

During that period there were no sanitary facilities or hygiene laws as exist today, and guts, offal and blood were thrown into a runnel down the middle of the street or open space where the butchering was carried out. By extension, any scene of total disorganisation and mess is now referred to as "a shambles".

Hopefully there'll be no blood or offal on the Shambles in Manchester on the 16th, if the Rags stay away...

The Fat el Hombre said:
allan harper said:
The Fat el Hombre said:
allan harper said:
so if it rains as it will do, is there any cover outside these pubs all dose everyone just go home and watch it on the tv?

Tv?

If it rains the turnout will be poor (I probably won't bother myself). I'll just go for a few in town then on to the game

since when as rain stopped piss heads drinking, we could start a " bring your umbrella" thread

It hasn't, but it generally stops quite a number of people from drinking in beer gardens.

'Nobody ever mentions the weather can make or break your day'

I ain't getting piss wet through when having a drink before the game. I'll go somewhere like corbieres or atheneum or somethin

Is the Atheneum open again now on our matchday? Know it stopped opening
sometime ago when City played because of trouble.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.