Europa draw (last 32) - the possibilities

skillman said:
Wouldn't mind; Ajax, PSG, any of the Russian teams - always wanted to go, Lazio, any of the German teams in terms of the away day(s) or Celtic.

After Munich I have a taste for it, wasn't sure what to expect but it was a beautiful city.

Any Russian teams will mean a minimum flight price of £250 + and and you will need a Visa to enter the Country, even for only 24 hours costing £115. Russia? No thanks

I'd like go Legia Warsaw, Vaslui, Besiktas, Anderlecht, Haifi or Steau Bucharest.
A meeting with Schalke again could be on the cards again. Which would be good.

I think that on our day we can beat any of the teams that will be in this over 2 legs, hence being installed as clear favorites.

My preference would be to go somewhere I haven't been before. Already done my research for finding my own way to some places, but will probably go on an organised trip if we end up somewhere in Russia or Eastern Europe.

At the minute my preference would be Ajax or Plzen, but Porto, Vienna, or Bruges would be nice.

For those who haven't checked yet we can be drawn against the following teams in the first round;

Porto, Ajax, Trabzonspor, Plzen, Hannover, and Legia Warsaw, in addition to a further 10 second place teams from the Europa League groups.

We cannot be drawn against the following teams in the round of 32, but they are drawing the round of 16 at the same time, and there is no seeding for that, so were we to progress, we could potentially face them in the next round.

United, Olympiacos, Valencia, Standard Liege, PSV Eindhoven, Sporting Lisbon, Athletic Bilbao, Metalist Kharkiv, Schalke, and Twente, in addition to a further 6 teams that win their respective groups.

The following teams have qualified for the next round but their final standing in their group is yet to be decided and therefore it is not decided whether they are seeded at this stage.

PAOK, Stoke, Braga, Athletico Madrid, Anderlecht, and Lokomotiv Moscow.

There are still another 9 other teams to qualify and the draw is on Friday 16th December (next week), and providing UEFA don't mess us around we should be away first leg as a seeded team.

Finally, we can't face an English team in the round of 32 should Stoke, Fulham, Tottenham or Birmingham progress in second place.

I've booked the day off so I can get in quick with my flight bookings. Just so you know it really does matter that you are as quick as possible in booking your flights. I got my flights to Munich for £85 return each and checked later the same night and they had gone up to over £300.

WNRH said:
Games after Europa League games.

Last 16
1st leg - FA Cup
2nd leg - Blackburn (H) or League Cup Final

Last 32
1st leg - Swansea (A)
2nd leg - Chelsea (H)

QF
1st leg - Sunderland (H)
2nd leg - Arsenal (A)

SF
1st leg - Wolves (A)
2nd leg - United (H)

FINAL
9th May - QPR (H)

Hope we get two weak draws in the L32 and L16 then we can attack it properly from the QF.
The Chelsea game could also potentially be replaced by an FA Cup Quarter Final tie on that weekend, should we get that far.

Therefore, should we progress in both domestic cup competitions, but go out before the last eight in Europe, we will only actually play one of the four EL ties directly prior to a League game, hopefully resulting in minimal impact on our PL preparation and form.

However, should we progress in all three cup competitions until the semis or final we will build up to four PL games in hand against Blackburn, Chelsea, Norwich and Newcastle to fit into a packed April and May, facing serious fixture congestion.

Try not to get Hannover and Schalke.

Hannover is a team that is difficult to play against. They do a very good forechecking with a big effort and are very fast in the conversion between defense and attack. Very unconvenient to play against especially for a team like yours. They have more difficulties to make the game by themselves.

Schalke - never to underestimate in cup games. The only time that did not work somehow was last years semi final against Manchester United. But usually they really have great comebacks when you think they are already dead. That team is like heaven and hell. Sometimes they are really easy to beat and then they throw you out of cup games the week after. (I cannot stand the team in the league but feel sympathy in the European Cups)

Sure you could beat everybody - but a couple of teams can beat your team at a good day, too. The last visit to the Europa League the Bayern team lost in the semi finals against St. Petersburg in 2008. It is not a walk in the park.

You see, we have almost forgotten about the shitty Champions League already. After all, it's a foregone conclusion that either Barcelona or Real Madrid will prevail.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.