Europa League Knockout Round Draw

Damocles said:
M.C.F.C.O.K said:
Fc porto by far the strongest team in the competition? hahahahahahahahah, oh my god how i laughed. Not saying city are, but Porto? come of it

He's right, Porto should win the EL if we don't. They are probably the strongest team in it, all considered.

do you really think so man for man?

1fingerwillie said:
Cobwebcat said:
I can name 4

1. Porto: By far the strongest team in the competition

2. Liverpool: Much greater European experience than us and coming good

3. Zenit: Winners in 2008

4. CSKA Moscow: Winners in 2005

Don't believe they are better?

http://www.euroclubindex.com/asp/Ranking.asp

You don't have to agree but they are objective. We should get to the QF but from then on it's anyones. We have a good chance but if my life were on it....PORTO!

However English football IS the best in Europe and getting better:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method4/crank2011.html

Just the facts!

You are a moron. Euroclubindex looks at data for three years. It in no way is a source to compare two teams at any given time. Those are the actual facts.

-- Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:11 pm --

Cobwebcat said:
but if you think we are better than Porto you need to take the blue tints off! Have a look at their record this season...then lets talk.

The do have a good record this season--IN THE PORTUGUESE LIGA.

Incorrect again and unfortunately I have to say that it is you that are the moron. It is exactly designed to compare two teams at any given time and, if you had taken the trouble to read their explanation you would see that three years with decreasing weight to older results gives the best predictive result. It works on a similar basis to the ELO rankings in chess or the same name for International football (which has been proven to be more accurate than FIFA's system)

As for Porto only having a good record in their domestic league take a look at Europa group L and let me know if they or City have the most points....dummy!

It's perfectly understandable that you don't agree with the results but that does not mean that I am a moron. You however are displaying those traits. I want City to win the EL as much as you but to dismiss Porto because they play in the Portuguese league is moronic....what league did they play in when they won the CL? Porto are an extremely well run club with a policy of buying at a certain price, improving the player and selling at a higher price. We can learn from clubs like them rather than ridicule them for the league they play in.

Cobwebcat said:
1fingerwillie said:
You are a moron. Euroclubindex looks at data for three years. It in no way is a source to compare two teams at any given time. Those are the actual facts.

-- Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:11 pm --

The do have a good record this season--IN THE PORTUGUESE LIGA.

Incorrect again and unfortunately I have to say that it is you that are the moron. It is exactly designed to compare two teams at any given time and, if you had taken the trouble to read their explanation you would see that three years with decreasing weight to older results gives the best predictive result. It works on a similar basis to the ELO rankings in chess or the same name for International football (which has been proven to be more accurate than FIFA's system)

As for Porto only having a good record in their domestic league take a look at Europa group L and let me know if they or City have the most points....dummy!

I know exactly how the methodology works and fully understand that recent years are weighted higher. The fact is though, that by using three years of data, it only generally predicts the best team but fails for exceptional teams that have had dramatic changes in the last 1 or 2 years (e.g. City). This is why Liverpool is still rated above us. Over time this will correct itself but right now the system does NOT predict City's current form. This is simply not debatable.

Comparing the number of points a team has in their group with a team in another group does not make logical sense. They are in different groups and some groups are more competitive than others. For instance I don't believe any team in Group L is currently sitting in the top 3 of any of the big four leagues in Europe. Group A by contrast does in fact have a team in that position.

I never said Porto wasn't the best team in the comp. I was simply suggesting that the "facts" you use for your argument are flimsy at best.

I did some number crunching to try and find out who's the most in form team this season:

I took the league points, multiplied them by the UEFA League coefficient for their country, then divided it by the number of games played.

I then for the Europa League, took the league points, and treated the playoff rounds as league games(so 3 points for a win, 1 for a draw and 0 for a loss), and multiplied the total number of points gained against a particular team by that team's UEFA coefficient, then added all the totals together. I then added this total to the domestic league total and got.

City-186.94.
Porto-149.78.

Hope that helps.

Mr.Banks said:
Order of preference for me living in the Algarve

Benfica
Sevilla
Porto

then anyone in Germany or Holland for the cheap flights! ;-)

I will second that list :-) I've spoken to a few Benfica fans who for some reason are hoping they get City as well, I think they're hoping our owners will bail out Portugal before the IMF gets in....

1fingerwillie said:
Cobwebcat said:

I know exactly how the methodology works and fully understand that recent years are weighted higher. The fact is though, that by using three years of data, it only generally predicts the best team but fails for exceptional teams that have had dramatic changes in the last 1 or 2 years (e.g. City). This is why Liverpool is still rated above us. Over time this will correct itself but right now the system does NOT predict City's current form. This is simply not debatable.

Comparing the number of points a team has in their group with a team in another group does not make logical sense. They are in different groups and some groups are more competitive than others. For instance I don't believe any team in Group L is currently sitting in the top 3 of any of the big four leagues in Europe. Group A by contrast does in fact have a team in that position.

I never said Porto wasn't the best team in the comp. I was simply suggesting that the "facts" you use for your argument are flimsy at best.

Well we don't disagree anymore then as I clearly stated City as an anomoly. You would not be able to find a better method overall however I believe.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.